Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car Audio Dummy - Needs Replacement Speaker Advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Car Audio Dummy - Needs Replacement Speaker Advise

I've read the FAQ etc. I need specific speak suggestions.

My problem is I have one or two blow speakers in the sail panel area. I think it's just the passenger side one but it might be both. The passenger side one is horrible.

I don't want to buy a new unit, I'm happy with the stock one. I will not buy factory replacement speakers because they blow too easily.

What are good (as in better than stock) speaker for the sail panels?

What are good (as in better than stock) speakers for the doors?

What should I expect to pay if I have them installed?

The local audio shop will suggest Kenwood stuff.

The max I'm willing to spend is ~$350 to $400 for improvement. I don't like spending on non-go fast mods.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that much money you can add some CDT M6s or the eD 7kv.2s and a small amp to power them, it will be a nice upgrade!

An even better upgrade would be the M6+ or, better still, the ES-06+ speakers.

I believe the M6s are a direct swap, but the others need slight modifications in order for the speakers to fit. The 7kv.2s need the most work to get them to fit, but are also the cheapest

Very nice amp to power them

Or another amp if you want them just on bass duty

There are cheaper amp options, but those are top of the line for a very nice price If you don't mind making modifications, the 7kv2s and the deuce will sound amazing and be under your $400 budget.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get the Oxygen Audio O2 OPW-M6 for $200.00 shipped. They sound great!! Have almost the exact same secifications as the CDT M-6 with the looks of a Focal. The picture just doesn't do it justice. I will get some pics up. The magnet is large but fits in the stock area. Here are the specs:
6.5" Mid-bass driver
Die-cast aluminum basket
Glass fiber cone & aluminum bullet dustcap
1.5" high temperature til voice coil
30 oz magnet
Frequency Response: 65 HZ - 7 kHZ
Butyl rubber surround
Pics:
Old 07-20-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Their website lists no T/S parameters for the OPW-M6. Where are you getting their specs from so you know how close they are to the CDTs?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I appreciate the info so far.

So how does a pair of stock replacement Kicker's stack up against what's been posted?

The local car audio dealer mentioned a pair of Kicker for $69 each for the sail panels would probably be pretty decent since I have no audio mods. It's $30 installed. So $200 for the sail panels. I could probably replace the door speakers too.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

please install them your self, it's not that hard, plus you save 30 bucks
Old 07-20-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard very few good things about the kickers. The only kicker product I'd buy is an amp, thats it.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I went by the two local audio shops. One basically, said everything would have to go speaker wise or I would be unhappy with the result. I was amused to see that shop sold rims, audio and NAWS. I can't image getting your nitrous set up from and by an audio retailer, that must be a ricer thing.

So I went to the other shop. The only thing they had in stock that they recommended was a pair of 650DS Kickers. The entry level Kicker. These are supposed to be very efficient 4 ohms so they will play around the same loudness as the less efficient 2 ohm Monsoon's, they replaced. So that's what I went with $69 for the pair of 650DS and $30 for install for a total of $104. I asked if the door speakers should also be replaced, and to their credit, they said probably not.

It sounds decent, much better than my blown Monsoon did. I can actually listen to music in the car again that has a little bass etc with out massive distortion. Sound wise, I'm happy with it, might have lost a little bass but I really don't care as I don't listen to rap very much. As long as they hold up and don't blow again, I'm happy.

All in all I was impressed with the honesty and service at CSMotorsports. I was impressed enough, I might just take my 91 RS Camaro over there and let them replace the HU and all the speakers one day.

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. I would have tried the componets suggested if either of the dealers had in hand.

BTW - What's the negative about the Kickers?

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 07-21-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all of those links 95bat

Those ed7kv.2s look good. Unfortunately their customer service is crap :/
what mods do the 7kv.2s need? Those will sound much better than my stock sail panel speakers right? Even with the stock amp?

Last edited by 6spd; 07-27-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

No mods are necessary but you will need a spacer to allow for the additional mounting depth of the speakers. Camaros will wire the dual voice coils in parallel to match the factory 2-ohm impedance. Firebirds get wired just like the stock DVC subs.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Can I purchase spacers? I saw your thread where you linked to the install of those speakers and I see that guy made his. I don't want to make them
Do you think that edead is worth buying for use with the monsoon amp?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You can buy basic spacers from Best Buy but you're still going to have to customize them to fit these speakers and your car. So, if you have access to the materials, it's cheaper to make your own.

Sound deadening material is always helpful regardless of what amp or speakers you're using.