Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HDTV Vizio vs Westinghouse

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned 5 vizios, every single one died, they finaly gave me a different brand and stopped replacing them.. no problems since with panasonic
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
I have owned 5 vizios, every single one died, they finaly gave me a different brand and stopped replacing them.. no problems since with panasonic

you would be very surprised as to how many people have this exact same situation. vizio is the rice of the tv world
Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

I knew it would crap out on me, I just wanted to **** costco off and teach them a lesson for carrying such a shitty product.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Well I ended up going cheap and buying the Westinghouse... lets see how long it lasts. It has a 1 yr warranty on it so i guess they will be replacing it if the TV junks out on me. But it cost me $871 bucks for a 42" so I'll try it out. It looks great right now but i need to do the optimizing so I can get teh full quality. But I'm satifisied as of right now.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

Westinghouse uses Sony internals. Good choice
Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
Westinghouse uses Sony internals. Good choice
Dammit, they're off my list. I don't like Sony.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt they use a Sony panel. Sony is expensive.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

See what cha get for posting this! Goto cnet for electronic reviews! Leave the advise on cars to ls1tech.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have time to read through the thread, but I will post my opinion. Get a Panasonic Plasma and call it a day. You get alot for your money.

My buddy purchased a 42" Vizio 3 weeks ago. I brought over my XBOX 360, and the picture looked horrible compared to my 42" Panasonic Plasma. I put in a game that I very familiar with, and I couldn't stand playing it on that TV because the colors looked like crap. It looked dark and unclear. Even after messing with the Picture, brightness, color, tint...it still looked dark and like crap. I kindly informed him of this. A few weeks go on, and his Vizio starts to freeze. It would be either the sound cutting off, or the picture freezing. Then if you clicked on Menu on the remote, the Menu screen would come up, and it wouldn't dissapear no matter what you did. You would have to watch TV with the screen covered with a big Menu. All of these little problems started to get progressivly worse, and became a huge nuisance. The only fix for all of these problems was to unplug the TV, then restart it. He took it back to Walmart, and ended up buying a Sanyo.
Some people never learn, but I am prety sure that anything could be better than that Vizio.
Oh yea, the sales pitch by the salesman when he purchased the Vizio, was that "its a good TV, its made by Toshiba, but its repackaged as a Vizio"
Old 10-14-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mikenews
See what cha get for posting this! Goto cnet for electronic reviews! Leave the advise on cars to ls1tech.
Thanks for the post that claims we don't know what we're talking about, Mr. New Guy who has no idea who we are.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mikenews
Already looked at stuff like that... besides I trust people's reviews on here also. I don't want car advice from someone running 9.0's in the 1/8th either though. Ha. j/k buddy.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I doubt they use a Sony panel. Sony is expensive.
thats what they want you to think.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Plasma has better picture quality hands down. I researched, even went lcd only to return it for a panasonic plasma. LCDs have terrible darks, and any fast motion scenes have terrible ghosting issues. Burn-in is an issue of the past with plasmas, they have added logic that will pixel-shift that eliminates it. If you can, buy from costco and enjoy their no-hassle return policy and find the right tv for you. It is a personal preference thing, lcd's use less power, are anti-glare, and have no image-retention issues at all (burn in). Plasmas have much better picture quality, and the newer models have better anti-glare technology.

Anyways, go to avsforum.com for this topic. You will be on there reading for hours in lieu of your research, a great source...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

samsungs newest line has an awesome contrast ratio that rivals that of plasmas and has a refresh rate of 120hz and sony is coming out with the same technology too. a 25000:1 contrast ratio from an LCD is pretty amazing
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by georgewa
Plasma has better picture quality hands down. I researched, even went lcd only to return it for a panasonic plasma. LCDs have terrible darks, and any fast motion scenes have terrible ghosting issues. Burn-in is an issue of the past with plasmas, they have added logic that will pixel-shift that eliminates it. If you can, buy from costco and enjoy their no-hassle return policy and find the right tv for you. It is a personal preference thing, lcd's use less power, are anti-glare, and have no image-retention issues at all (burn in). Plasmas have much better picture quality, and the newer models have better anti-glare technology.

Anyways, go to avsforum.com for this topic. You will be on there reading for hours in lieu of your research, a great source...
ahh its great to here someone say that for a change, manye one day all the myhts about plasma will die, but i doubt it.

as for the avs thing, SSU also has a good area for discussing home theater.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
a 25000:1 contrast ratio from an LCD is pretty amazing
It would be if it were true.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i got a samsung 42 plasma from best buy, burn in was an issue at first with station logos and such but when i changed the pixel shift frequency to every 1 min instead of every 2mins and changed the shift from 2 pixels to 4 pixels, it hasn't done it since. btw best buy and circuit city do 18 and 24 months no interest, its great, i'm on my third big screen and used it everytime. make sure the new tv has the hd tuner built in, some 1000 dollar tvs dont and they are called HD monitors, a way of getting around regulations.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure the new tv has the hd tuner built in, some 1000 dollar tvs dont and they are called HD monitors, a way of getting around regulations.
Its not realy getting around regulations..The reason for that is that alot of people dont want the option of a HD tuner.The TV is still HD, it just can't catch off air HD stations, such as NBC, ABC, FOX, etc. They use a difference HD source, such as cable, satelite, blue-ray, etc. My 42" Panasonic has a HD tuner, but I have never used it, as I use Direct TV for my HD needs.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

they told me as a "monitor" they dont have to put a tuner in it at all. so if you have cable you are screwed, it cant change any channels. it just has input source changes thats it. for some people thats ok but just makes me wonder what else they skimped on.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't trust anything that someone says when they are working off commision. I guess if your cable provider doesn't give you a reciever box, then I can see that being a problem.

Quick Reply: HDTV Vizio vs Westinghouse