Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best 6.5" Components EVER heard!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I agree...DEFINITELY need to sound deaden the car a LOT...mine's a hardtop too...better on road noise than my other car...but still needs attention.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the reviews coming guys! I'm trying to get as many honest reviews as possible so I only have to buy a set of speakers once. I think this will help folks not have to pick up a set of 6.5s that sound bad and be stuck upgrading AGAIN later... Good posts though.....Keepem coming. Don't just put that you like them also state what you like about them.

Thanks!!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely agree with the "do it once, do it right" mentality. The only reason I have switched speakers so many times was to try different ones out so I could have a real "test drive" with each one with different music in my specific environment.
I think that if you start with the basics as far as prep work...sound deadener, good wire, clean signal, clean power, then almost any of these high quality, high end speakers will sound great. You can make a $1000.00 component set sound like garbage if the prep work has not been addressed first.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Honestly, everyone has different opinons. These are all good choices here. But in my opinon, you will have to listen to them yourself. We all don't hear the same if you know what I mean. Just as we all have different tastes on football teams, etc. What sounds good to you, may not sound good to me.

I can think of 6 brands at least off the top of my head that make some extremely nice components. But like I said before, you are going to have to listen to them for yourself. Only you can make that decision on what sounds nice. It's not always about the price either.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I am glad to see MB Quarts still in here. I bought a set about 10 years ago and LOVED them! Unfortunately, I have been out of the loop for about 7
Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by j-man
best components i have ever heard is a toss up between a 3 way set of dynaudio and a 3 way set of focal utopia. both of which retail well over $1000.
I had the 3 way Dyn set with the 7" midbass in my 1998 Chevy ext cab truck. GOD, it was pure sex. It was the BEST front stage I have ever heard in my life, not to mention the best I have ever owned. I was using a Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 amp bridged mono (4 CH amp in 2 CH mode - right/left configed not front/rear) 250W x 2. My friends would bring there friends to hear it just for the experience.

3" midrange and 1" tweets were in custom fiberglass kick panels and the 7" midbass was in the door.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

Alright guys since you are talking about the best I have an insane deal going for a limited time only!!! CDT Eurosport 6.5" components yes the Eurosport ES-Gold components for $379.00!!!!! Here's the link!! https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...88#post8056388
They DO require you to modifiy the stock mounting ring on an F-body as the push in terminals get in the way a bit. Holes do line up however.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevroletfreak
Well, I am glad to see MB Quarts still in here. I bought a set about 10 years ago and LOVED them! Unfortunately, I have been out of the loop for about 7
I've seen a LOT of people say that they're nowhere NEAR as good as they used to be. I wasn't into car audio before this decade, though, so I'm not really sure.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

x3 for the Focals. But that price!! Also some people are put off because they are French.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Focal is getting a lot of votes, so I'm gonna say Rainbow.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Like I said before, sound is different for everyone. Rainbow, focals, kicker ss, mb quartz, JL audio ZR, etc and not in any particular order. These are all quality speakers and I'm missing a few others but your going to have to listen to them for yourself. Some people like the one step below too; it's not always about the price like I said, you just got to listen, rofl.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Like I said before, sound is different for everyone. Rainbow, focals, kicker ss, mb quartz, JL audio ZR, etc and not in any particular order. These are all quality speakers and I'm missing a few others but your going to have to listen to them for yourself. Some people like the one step below too; it's not always about the price like I said, you just got to listen, rofl.
Dude! stop trying to hijack the thread! We all understand what your saying about hearing it in person. However I'm asking for peoples opinions and thats what they are giving.........so take a pill dude and let people post their opinions. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RawDawg
Dude! stop trying to hijack the thread! We all understand what your saying about hearing it in person. However I'm asking for peoples opinions and thats what they are giving.........so take a pill dude and let people post their opinions. Thanks!
Dude, your the one that needs the chill pill. Has nothing to do with taking a chill pill. I'm telling you from experience. I'm not trying to sell you a particular brand because just like cars, I'm not brand loyal to audio either.

They have given their opinions and I've given you mine. You wanted opinions and I'm telling you just that.

There's not one speaker better than the other. There never has been. I've tried almost all of them and the ones I didn't own I've heard side by side with the others.

It has nothing to do with hijacking this thread! Just a fact that everyone fails to see. Twenty people here say that this brand or that brand is the best because they own them or are selling them.

You asked their opinion and let me guess, you going to buy what you haven't even heard. That's what it's all about! Good luck on your choice and have a nice day.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Dude, your the one that needs the chill pill. Has nothing to do with taking a chill pill. I'm telling you from experience. I'm not trying to sell you a particular brand because just like cars, I'm not brand loyal to audio either.

They have given their opinions and I've given you mine. You wanted opinions and I'm telling you just that.

There's not one speaker better than the other. There never has been. I've tried almost all of them and the ones I didn't own I've heard side by side with the others.

It has nothing to do with hijacking this thread! Just a fact that everyone fails to see. Twenty people here say that this brand or that brand is the best because they own them or are selling them.

You asked their opinion and let me guess, you going to buy what you haven't even heard. That's what it's all about! Good luck on your choice and have a nice day.
Whatever dude.... I appreciate the posts (everyone else)....keepem coming! Thanks.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

wickedwarlock has a good point...It's fine to ask for opinions but you should probably use those opinions to help narrow down the possibilities and then go listen to to them to make your final choice. Buying speakers based only on the opinions of people you don't know, who may not listen to the same kind of music, and who probably don't have the same needs in a speaker would not be a smart thing to do. A good example is the ongoing debate about Infinity speakers - some people love them but they are very bright so other people complain about "bleeding ears".
Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned

"Twenty people here say that this brand or that brand is the best because they own them or are selling them."
Careful Warlock...I don't recommend speakers because I sell them. I'm not some used car dealer type who would recommend something just to make a buck so I resent you saying that. I sell them because I use them and have used them way before I ever carried their product. Every CDT speaker in my car I paid full price for. I have used all kinds of speakers in different price ranges and sizes for many years just like you. I've also had all kinds of speakers in my T/A so I could see what I thought of them in person. I also listen to all kinds of music through them to get an idea of range, sound quality, and what limitations the speakers may have. So when I recommend something it's coming from my personal experience with that product.
That being said, I completely agree with you and Whitebird that the best way to choose a set of speakers is to listen to as many as you can. I still listen to as many systems at car shows and other events as I can. There is no substitution for listening to a sound system yourself to get an idea of what you like.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The CDT EuroSports I listened to in a friends car were pretty incredible, those are definitely the best sounding that I've heard in person.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have some blown jeep speakers in the front, and some 90$ speakers in the back. sounds incredible.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RawDawg
Dude. What wickedwarlock said is the best "Opinion" you can get. It's all what you hear. I understand what you are asking for. But it's hard to understand what "The Best" is to you.

For me, The Focal Utopia's and Dynaudio's are awesome and very well defined and linier. I still have a set of 5" installed in some kickpanels with a pair of R25 Kicker tweeters. The Woofers are some of the very best I've used and heard. Rainbow is very very good too, but also very expensive. Some drivers sound great in certain enviroments and sound like **** in other enviroments.

Now if you want the BEST I've ever heard, that's out of everyones price range. B&W Silver Signature series home speakers. ($26K EACH. AKA A Pair is $52,000) in a custom installation in a BMW done by Earl Zausmers. Powered with a pair of Milbert Tube amplifiers. With 13" Subwoofers in the kickpanels. (I think those were about $2500 a piece) How's that for the best.

Keep this in mind: "An car stereo is 70-80% installation, 20-30% hardware" That's been true to me over the years. And alot of installers will agree. Just like with our cars and combintations. It's not the 1 part that makes or breaks it, it's the sum of the combination. Like putting Great heads on a stock engine with no cam, exhaust or tune. You aren't going to gain much at all.

Plus, what are you looking for your new speakers to accomplish? Better transient response? Better decay times? Overhang? Power handling? Overall SPL output? Better Staging? Better Off-axis response? Great plug and play set-up? Do you know and understand what I'm talking about?

For example, With my old Geo (Still have that POS sitting around. LOL) I had a shallow kick-panel area and it was very difficult to get a good sound stage due to being way off axis on the drivers side. I tried a bunch of speakers and ended up using a set of Dynaudio 5" speakers. They utilize a 3" voice coil. Due to this design, it had to use a large 3" dust cap. The dust cap contributed to having rediculously good off-axis response. The other plus sides to this speaker was the high power handling due to the large voice coil and stiff cone material. Transient response was good due to the large motor structure. Sensitivity and overall SPL was low due to all the mass. IT was very linear in response and had good overhang and decint decay.

The focal's tended to have a better response with higher notes due to using a much lighter cone matterial. But, the off-axis response wasn't as good as the Dyna's and the low end was just a little worse then the Dyna's due to the smaller motor.

There's a lot more to "The Best" then just picking something expensive. Also, I spent about 20 hours tweeking the front end sound after alignment. (Over 4 days due to listneing fatiuge)
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
"Twenty people here say that this brand or that brand is the best because they own them or are selling them."
Careful Warlock...I don't recommend speakers because I sell them. I'm not some used car dealer type who would recommend something just to make a buck so I resent you saying that. I sell them because I use them and have used them way before I ever carried their product. Every CDT speaker in my car I paid full price for. I have used all kinds of speakers in different price ranges and sizes for many years just like you. I've also had all kinds of speakers in my T/A so I could see what I thought of them in person. I also listen to all kinds of music through them to get an idea of range, sound quality, and what limitations the speakers may have. So when I recommend something it's coming from my personal experience with that product.
That being said, I completely agree with you and Whitebird that the best way to choose a set of speakers is to listen to as many as you can. I still listen to as many systems at car shows and other events as I can. There is no substitution for listening to a sound system yourself to get an idea of what you like.
Only the guilty vendors respond, hehe. I'm just kidding man.

I agree, it's just a general statement, but many shops do this just to make a buck. But you are correct, not all shops are this way. Believe it or not, honest shops do exist and this was no way referring to you by the way. But it doesn't look that way when your site only shows cdt to purchase, rofl. I'm just giving you a hard time. NO pun intended, really.

Out of curiosity, what other brands do you carry?

Quick Reply: Best 6.5" Components EVER heard!!