Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I want a remote start...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote

i think just the remote start is under $200 plus u got to pay someone to wire it. Its not to bad to wire, not like a alarm with way more junk!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
WTF? VATS is simple to bypass. read the resistance of the chip in your key, wire it inline to your cars VATS wire, BASIC remote start from CC (were i am the install sup) will run you right under $140 INSTALLED!!

Alarms w/ keyless entry and remote start is a little different. OBDII f-bods > you'll need to buy an extra relay b/c you actually have to "wake" up the door looks in order for them to lock and unlock properly.

that bypass module for VATS is an overstated paper weight
Thats really stupid advice. Bypassing VATS with a resistor wired inline means it's permanently defeated and you should be telling your car insurance you no longer have your passive anti-theft as they should be charging you more. The actual VATS bypass modules will only bypass VATS when the remote starter is trying to start the car.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraz
You give out too much mis-represented information. Remote start install is not something everyone can do in a couple hours. Only people with a decent background with 12v electrical should attempt a remote start install.

Just some FYI, Ive seen a few people who thought they could Do it themselves end up paying 3-5 fold more because they had to have their hacked install un installed and reinstalled by people who were more knowledgable.

This isnt including the random circuits people have fried that can cost in excess of 1200$ ( Toyota Scion ECU)

A reputable shop has installers around not only for how quickly they perform installs, but in relation to how many times people come back due to problems. It wouldnt make sense in a good business plan to do a hack job and get customers out as quickly as possible, small companies will lose revenues over time.

Oh and just so you know, most of those 50$ systems you compare to the POS 500$ systems are made by the exact same manufacturer, about 95%.
I have removed more "professional" installs for friends, and repaired/replaced them myself because they were such disgusting hackjobs. Professional installs done at local alarm places, Best Buy, Circuit City...you name it...ALL of them were hackjobs. I've seen the same with stereo installs too. I'm not saying they ALL suck, maybe in your part of the country they take more pride in their jobs and do it better, but thats not the case up here.

If Viper wants to charge $500 for a system that is made by the same manufacturer as the crimestopper unit, then yes, theirs is a POS, they're overcharging for it, and those stupid fancy LCD remotes are nothing but trouble. The RS1304 is a very very well made remote starter, the remotes work from a LONG way away (I couldn't see the truck in the parking lot down the hill at work in the snowstorm from inside the building, but when I walked down there it was running with the heat/defroster blasting) and like I said, costs less than $100. It NEVER didn't work. If my Camaro wasn't an M6 car, I'd have removed the RS1304 from the truck before trading it in on the Camaro and installed in it the first day I had the Camaro...but I ALWAYS leave the car in gear when I park it, and I will never change that (I've been driven more miles in T56 cars than anything else in my life...just took a hiatus with the truck for a little while and decided 4L80-E's while strong are just not for me). I'd rather get into a cold car in the winter and a hot car in the summer than worry about it rolling whenever it's parked should the parking brake fail for some reason (though with my normal preventative maintenance I am pretty confident it never will).