Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I want a remote start...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a remote start...Help!

Well I have read and read and read some more about remote starts and I'm still confused. I don't know what I need to buy or where I need to buy it from. I only want a remote start. My car has the stock alarm and everything. What will I have to have to make it work? I've been trying to figure out how much it could cost but I'm to confused about it to even figure that out. So please ls1tech community help me out once again. I would greatly appreciate it!

Edit: I wouldn't mind having an alarm as well. I just don't want to spend very much. So some suggestions of an alarm and remote start will be nice as well. Also, I have a A4

Last edited by 02trns_am; 01-07-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

is your car a M6 or A4? I know most stand up shops in my area will not install on manuals for obvious reasons. if you do have a M6 and install it yourself make sure you use the e-brake and dont leave it in gear....

at any rate.. my two cents.. i had a remote start (viper with the fancy key deal with the screen... mucho $$$) on my last truck and thought it was super cool, but it got old quick and became more problematic even more quickly.

either way.. good luck with it.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I forgot to say I had an A4. Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking. Why did it get old? What were the problems?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll need a VATS bypass box, not a big deal.

I've had remote start in 4 previous vehicles, and loved it.

There are now manual trans-compatible remote starts available as well.

The installer will make or break this though.. big time.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So where do I get a VATS bypass box? How much do they cost?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

pm me i can tell you all about i use to put them on 4 a liven
Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02trns_am
Sorry I forgot to say I had an A4. Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking. Why did it get old? What were the problems?
for the most part i think the viper remote was acting up. i guess it was dropped too many times. before i sold the truck it had quit working completely. i believe the remote was not sending a "start" signal. who knows. like eskimo said... the installer will make or break the system. i would not push off a remote start install on anyone short of having complete wiring knowledge of the vehicle the system is being installed on. ie.. i would not do it myself.

good luck bud
Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

it can be tricky
Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

be prepared to shell out some cash. For the price difference, you might as well get security and keyless entry. I would probably charge somewhere around 550-600 installed for parts/labor.

You can probably find places that do it a bit cheaper, but you get what you pay for in terms of installation.

Just to give you a pointer, I would not reccomend purchasing a unit until you find a good installer. Most installers can cut some slack on installs if you buy the equipment from them. Otherwise, many small shops will charge a "foreign equipment" charge, since it was not purchased from them.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

550-600? Thats a bit more that I wanted to spend. How much could I get just a remote start and the VATS bypass for and whatever else is needed for the install?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

for just remote start, with parts and labor, you could probably get it done for around 350$at a Circuit City or best buy with a really cheap non-2way unit.

But again, your going to cross your fingers and hope the installer has some experience under their belt.

If you think about it, for another 200$, you get a security system, and the ability to open and close your doors with the same remote. PLUS, you get a two way extended range system.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On best buy's website they have a Viper remote start for $200 installed. Is this any good? Where would I get a VATS bypass at?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02trns_am
On best buy's website they have a Viper remote start for $200 installed. Is this any good? Where would I get a VATS bypass at?
Read the fine print. They will charge you separately for the bypass and installation of the bypass. Youll be looking at roughly 350$ no matter which way you cut it.

Besides, Unless you get the more expensive bypass kit, you will need to give up one of your keys to put into the box.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Of course, you can just bypass the VATS with about a dollar's worth of resistors if you want to do it yourself - no kit is necessary.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't want anything rigged up at all I just don't want to spend alot of money just for a remote start. Hell if I had alot to spend I would just go buy the best and get somebody to install it. thanks for the help guys. 350 is just to much though.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Crimestopped RS1304 in my 2002 2500HD, I LOVED it. It worked prefectly, never EVER had any problems, and it was so nice to get into the truck with the heat already on in the winter, or the AC pumping in the summer. I used it a couple times a day ever day, and I got it brand new on ebay for like...practically nothing.

You don't need to buy into any of that fancy LCD keychain nonsense...the fancier they try to make it, the more likely it is to break. The $60-70 you're going to spend buying one plus whatever the cost of the VATS bypass gizmo is WAY more worth it than $500 for some Viper POS.

If you follow the wiring diagram carefully, and take care to do things right (DON'T use those stupid things that just bite into wires to connect to them, cut carefully, solder carefully and heatshrink or tape carefully, and keep yourself organized) there's no reason you won't be able to install it in a few hours on a weekend and have the wiring significantly cleaner than it will be if you go to best buy or some car stereo/alarm shop and have their "#1 installer" do it for you...that person is #1 because they cut corners and do things fast, not because they take care to do things right.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

the bypass box is 80 at CC they have one that is just start only and retains factory for like 206 installed and the other one that is the same thing but you get a gay looking remote that will start Lock/unlock like factor key for for 260
Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

WTF? VATS is simple to bypass. read the resistance of the chip in your key, wire it inline to your cars VATS wire, BASIC remote start from CC (were i am the install sup) will run you right under $140 INSTALLED!!

Alarms w/ keyless entry and remote start is a little different. OBDII f-bods > you'll need to buy an extra relay b/c you actually have to "wake" up the door looks in order for them to lock and unlock properly.

that bypass module for VATS is an overstated paper weight
Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I had a Crimestopped RS1304 in my 2002 2500HD, I LOVED it. It worked prefectly, never EVER had any problems, and it was so nice to get into the truck with the heat already on in the winter, or the AC pumping in the summer. I used it a couple times a day ever day, and I got it brand new on ebay for like...practically nothing.

You don't need to buy into any of that fancy LCD keychain nonsense...the fancier they try to make it, the more likely it is to break. The $60-70 you're going to spend buying one plus whatever the cost of the VATS bypass gizmo is WAY more worth it than $500 for some Viper POS.

If you follow the wiring diagram carefully, and take care to do things right (DON'T use those stupid things that just bite into wires to connect to them, cut carefully, solder carefully and heatshrink or tape carefully, and keep yourself organized) there's no reason you won't be able to install it in a few hours on a weekend and have the wiring significantly cleaner than it will be if you go to best buy or some car stereo/alarm shop and have their "#1 installer" do it for you...that person is #1 because they cut corners and do things fast, not because they take care to do things right.
You give out too much mis-represented information. Remote start install is not something everyone can do in a couple hours. Only people with a decent background with 12v electrical should attempt a remote start install.

Just some FYI, Ive seen a few people who thought they could Do it themselves end up paying 3-5 fold more because they had to have their hacked install un installed and reinstalled by people who were more knowledgable.

This isnt including the random circuits people have fried that can cost in excess of 1200$ ( Toyota Scion ECU)

A reputable shop has installers around not only for how quickly they perform installs, but in relation to how many times people come back due to problems. It wouldnt make sense in a good business plan to do a hack job and get customers out as quickly as possible, small companies will lose revenues over time.

Oh and just so you know, most of those 50$ systems you compare to the POS 500$ systems are made by the exact same manufacturer, about 95%.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

being an X installer i will give you a huge pointer that you are overlooking. first, i just bought a self learning vats bypass off ebay for like 40 bucks. search VATS, you will see one. second, my commission during installs was 50 percent. so if there was 300 in labor i would get 150 and the shop would get 150. when i did work on the side i would give people the equipment at whatever i could get it for and then charge them my cut. i would pick the brand that would work well and also that i was familiar with and the customer would pay no markup and no shop labor price. its a win win. ask a professional installer does he wanna make a few bucks on a sat. im sure you can find one.