Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Possible ways to wire tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible ways to wire tweeters?

well i thought about going ahead and buying a cheap set of tweeters till i got more money to mess around with... and ive never really messed with tweeters before so i dont know much about the wiring... and i was just wondering how you actually went about wiring tweeters into a system....
can you just tap into a speaker like and run new wiring to the tweeter off of that signal, or what actually goes on?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

Pretty much ya........do they have base blockers on them? Stock speakers?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i havent bought any yet... but i thought about running to radioshack and seeing what they had and just finding a somewhat cheap pair just to test with...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Assuming your 94 has the base 4-speaker audio system (the 10-speaker system already has tweeters), you can add tweeters fairly easily. The biggest thing is deciding wher and how to mount them. Other than that, just get crossovers to split the full-range signal between the tweeters and the existing speakers. Or, you could get high-pass filters instead of crossovers just to filter the signal to the tweeters.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

actually... sorry i am leaving out so much info... but i have the 10 speaker system... but i would like to add some tweeters to get the loudness not pointing at my knee cap... but where do i find these crossovers or high pass filters? also, i have a alpine 250w amp that im pretty sure has a low and high pass filter on it, but how would i go about getting power to it with me already running one amp in my car for my sub?

but i really would rather not have to run all of my power and rca and remote wires again to this amp... so is there any way to tap into a speaker wire and wire in one of those filters in line to the tweeters? and one other question... wouldnt i want a filter that filters out the lower end sounds, and plays the high end? or is that what a high pass filter does? cuz the name sounds about like the exact opposite lol

sorry, im new at wiring in components... ive put in a number of head units and subs and amps, but never really messed with any of the components besides replacing the factory speakers with aftermarket...
Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

A high-pass filter filters out low frequency signal - it allows "highs" to "pass". Sometimes they're called "inline crossovers" because they have only one input and one output (regular crossovers have one input and two outputs - low and high). In fact, Crutchfield sells them as inline crossovers for about $30. Check with Kee Audio...he may have what you need.

Another option (since you have the 10-speaker system) is to disconnect the factory tweeters and run the wires to wherever you want to mount your new tweeters. The factory wiring already has a high-pass filter in it.

Or you could leave the factory tweeters and add your new ones by tapping into the same wiring but you'll have to be careful about how you wire them to avoid an impedance problem. Wire them in series to the factory tweeters - that will give you 8-ohms impedance. The factory amp can handle 8-ohms but each tweeter will only be half as loud. That shouldn't be a problem because you'll have twice as many so it will just shift the sound stage.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright well i will probably either try replacing the stock ones and maybe moving them up to somewhere like in the upper corner of the windshield or something like that... or maybe if i can get them mounted like where those pillar tweeter deals go then ill just go that route...