Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My eDi/JL system buildup

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ggk
white lightning dont you think that 9.1 is a little much for that 10w6?
they are only rated for 600w and the 9.1 puts out 900w at 12.5 v so closer to 1000 or better at 14.4 v

That's true, but you can always turn down the gain to match the sub. I'd rather have this setup as opposed to the opposite where you don't have enough amp, and end up turning up the gain to get a certain level and end up clipping the signal. Clipped signal is far worse to the health of a sub than overpowering it.

I've got a 9.2x powering a 10w3 and can easily over power it, but i've got the gain turned way down since I'm still getting a source signal from the factory monsoon, so the signal is anything but clean.

I would look at it like a supercharger. Say you want to make 600hp, you can run the same amount of boost with a smaller supercharger, but you have to spin it much faster than if you went with a bigger supercharger. Granted the bigger supercharger might be overkill, but it's going to be stressed a lot less.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:49 PM
ggk
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got to remember the amp still sends the same number of watts to the sub even with the gain turned down. it just doesnt amplify the sound as much.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got some of the wires installed today. I am still trying to find exactly where I want to distribute the power and ground at. I ran the power wire from the passenger fuse block, down the drivers side, to the rear hatch area. The RCA's, remote wire, and speaker wires from my components were routed down the passenger side to reduce and chance of interference.

Tomorrow I plan on finishing up the wiring and mounting the amp rack and enclosure. My ANL fuse holder should be in Monday, so I should have the system tuned by the end of next week.

Pictures to follow tomorrow.

Andy
Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ggk
you got to remember the amp still sends the same number of watts to the sub even with the gain turned down. it just doesnt amplify the sound as much.
Umm, no.

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I ran the power wire from the passenger fuse block, down the drivers side, to the rear hatch area. The RCA's, remote wire, and speaker wires from my components were routed down the passenger side to reduce and chance of interference.
Burn some midnight oil and get that thing done!

Seriously though, you only have to run the RCA's separate from the power wire, you can't pick up anything in the speaker or remote lead.. Maybe that'll make things a little easier? I wound up running the RCA's down the left, and the power down the right..
Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

My dilemma is where to mount the distribution blocks and still keep it clean looking. I was going to originally mount them between the amps but that wouldn't look too good. So I am trying to mount them elsewhere to keep it simple. I'm sure I will figure it out tomm.

BTW, I didn't use sound deadener. I just didn't have the money to spend on that right now. Come spring, when it warms up, I will do all that.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Update 02/17/08:

Well I got the majority of the stuff installed today. The amp rack mounting and sub enclosure were a tight fit but worked. It took a few more trips to the store to get some terminals and misc stuff. I am still waiting on my ANL fuse holder which should be in tomm. Then I need to re-fabricate some door speaker rings to house the 6000s components. Then I can put the test tone CD in and tune away!

Here is the final product:

Old 02-17-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it!
Very clean install.
I bet it will sound great with the sub, and the watts that are going to it!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:21 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a great install. Looks really clean. Nice job Andy.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good!

And doing it this way, you'll be able to see the before and after effects of the dampening on the same system, since most people upgrade their systems at the same time they dampen.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Looking good!

And doing it this way, you'll be able to see the before and after effects of the dampening on the same system, since most people upgrade their systems at the same time they dampen.
This is true. I will deaden this in the spring.

Andy
Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Update 02/19/08:
Well I got everything tuned. My ears are ringing a bit from sitting in my driveway with the system turned up. It sounds incredible. I ended up fussing with some of the HU controls to get things to sound together and have a complete sound stage. Overall I am happy with it so far. I guess time will tell as I get used to it and fine tune.

Quick Reply: My eDi/JL system buildup