Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blowing Fuse #7 Power Accy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing Fuse #7 Power Accy?

I need some advise, help etc... MY Camaro SS is blowing out fuse #7 everytime I close driver's side door. With engine running or not.
Thanks,
David
Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the door switch for your interior light is gounding out to the body of the car, causing the fuse to blow.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by seawolf18
Sounds like the door switch for your interior light is gounding out to the body of the car, causing the fuse to blow.
...except that the door switches are grounding switches anyway, so grounding the wire would only cause the lights to go on - not blow any fuses.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh thats right, forgot about that.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

The switch is before the lightbulb so power going through it (when switch is closed) is going throught the bulb then to ground. If the switch, when its open, is grounding then there will be no resistance and you will ground to the chassis and blow fuses. I say remove the switch and examine it.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1
The switch is before the lightbulb so power going through it (when switch is closed) is going throught the bulb then to ground. If the switch, when its open, is grounding then there will be no resistance and you will ground to the chassis and blow fuses. I say remove the switch and examine it.
You must be thinking of some other car - like a Ford. In our F-bodies the door switches aren't even on the same circuit as the bulbs. They are grounding switches connected to the BCM which turns on the courtesy lights when it sees ground from one of the switches. It doesn't care if the ground is from the door actually opening or possibly from a damaged wire that is grounding out. In either case, the ground just causes the BCM to turn on the lights and no fuse would blow.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have power windows and locks, the wires go through the rubber boot between the chassis and the door, I would check to see if any are being pinched or chafed. The fuse block is also on that end of the dash facing the door. Maybe shutting the door causes enough movement in that area for a bare or chafed wire to touch and blow the fuse. I think I have the diagram for the circuit that is blowing. I will search through my Factory service manual DVD, and see if I can find it.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The only circuit in the door that is related to the PWR ACCY fuse is the power mirror switch. I would look there first although seawolf18 has a very good point about the fuse panel being close enough to the door that closing it could cause a damaged wire near the fuse panel to short out.

The other circuits on that fuse are the hatch release, the alarm shock sensor, the radio memory, and the instrument cluster.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
In our F-bodies the door switches aren't even on the same circuit as the bulbs. They are grounding switches connected to the BCM which turns on the courtesy lights when it sees ground from one of the switches.
Good info. I didnt know that about these cars.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replys, advice etc.... I believe I have the problem narrowed down to the alarm. The fuse pannel was loose so I re-attached that solved the problem temporarly. When I use my remotes to lock doors & arm the alarm the fuse blows. As long as I use the door key to un-lock & lock the driver's door the fuse does not blow. I guess I should try passenger side door.
David

Quick Reply: Blowing Fuse #7 Power Accy?