Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ipod mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
A wired FM modulator should not require any kind of switch. They are designed to switch to the auxiliary device when they detect audio signal and switch back to FM when there is no signal. So you control them by turning your MP3 player (or whatever) on or off.

FM modulators will work with any year or model of car without affecting an external CD changer - it doesn't matter if you have a changer or not.
It requires a switch because otherwise it would be constantly running, and would make the radio unusable.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 266 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
It requires a switch because otherwise it would be constantly running, and would make the radio unusable.
Are you sure? If so, then there are better ones out there. Even the wired modulators from XM and Sirius automatically switch based on whether there is signal from the auxiliary device. When the satellite radio or MP3 player is on, the modulator cuts off the AM/FM signal from reaching the radio. When you turn off the Satellite radio or MP3 player, the modulator automatically switches back to passing AM/FM signal through to the radio.

I've used and installed quite a number of these things and never had to put a switch in.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

whitebird, some of them do have a switch i know the one we put in my gf's car that was sold at circuit city at the time i installed there has a switch on it
Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 266 Likes on 230 Posts

Oh, I don't doubt that some of them might require a switch. I just figure why buy one that has to be manually switched when automatic ones are available for about the same price?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

cuase it was in stock and i got a discount on it lol
Old 04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the changer, but the monsoon system and I bought the isimple from Peripheral Electronics at Best Buy and hooked it up in about 20 minutes. It charges the ipod and controls it for volume and skip forward/back through the steering wheel controls. I love it and it cost 100 bucks. Well worth it if you ask me. One thing in particular that i liked about it is that you maintain the click wheel controls on the ipod. Some of those interfaces won't let you use the click wheel when it's plugged in, but this one does.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Thats a cool idea. Too bad i bought an alpine double din already and have no excuse to do this mod!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Help please..

Is there any way someone can walk me though how to get this done on my 98 Monte Carlo with just a single CD delco stereo?? Iunderstand most of it, just confused on how to cross reference the wires formt he changer plug.. ( which i dont have)..... to the plug and wires that exsist....

Sacrificing my CD player would be OK i guess, but still being able to use both the iPOD AND the CD player would be ideal!!!!

All help is appreciated..
Thanks gentlemen.. and ladies...

BSDOYLE
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Launching!

You won't be able to tap into the changer port if you don't actually have a CD changer in the car, it doesn't accept audio until it talks to it. If you don't mind opening up the CD player, you can do this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/688297-how-you-can-add-aux-input-mp3-player-without-adapter.html#post6865143
Old 02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Teching In

i'm a bit confused. I have the GM9-AUX connected to my late model 99 single cd monsoon. And it works. But if I have battery disconnection I have to giggle the wires in the back of the HU until I hear sound. This annoys the hell out of me and I wanna try the direct tap into the dark green/white and brown/white wires on the C2 harness. I have a mp3 hard drive player in the trunk with rca's running to the front behind the radio. To activate this thing all i have do is push the CD button. I can leave a regular cd in there and hit CD again and it switches to the CD. Keep hitting the button and it goes back and forth. Or have NO CD in there and it plays. My Question is this: is the grounding necessary? Is THAT what the GM9-AUX is doing to "fool" the HU that there's a changer in the trunk (which there is not). BTW, I can hit CD to play the mp3 player when the player is off (producing no audio signal) and it accepts it - obviously playing no sound.

So basically, what's the point of the GM9-AUX if we just just cut and splice 2 or 3 wires for the same effect?

thx
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Question:
My buddy works for a radio shop & can do anything I ask to the radio. He showed me the Isimple or something like it but it is fm modulated hooked up to the antenna. He says it is wonderful but I am thinking it may still hiss being fm modulated. I want to try Jason's mod. Does it have a good sucess rate if installed correctly & do you agree it is a better choice?
Brian.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is more info on this mod:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-adapter.html

I have not done this mod myself, but I have used a Pioneer FM wireless unit & a wired PIE GM9-AUX unit. The wired solution is always better. You don't have to deal with any static or "station creep" as you drive.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the adapter and I am going to get it done Sat AM. I hope there is no ribbon cable. The hu was swaped by the p/o. I posted Jason for the link. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: ipod mod