Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity 2ohm 6.5's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your install. Honestly, I can't just tell you to set the filter at 60Hz and it'll sound great. You've gotta play with the freq. and the gain some and find what sounds best. Start with them both low, increase the gain a little, maybe like 1/3, and then adjust the freq. and see what happens. You'll know when it sounds right. Same with the HU settings. I never payed attention to what the numeric settings were. I just listen to the difference.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LPF should be 80Hz or so on all but the best speakers unless you don't play it loud. You can go loud OR low, but not both (unless you did something way custom up front). My Rainbows with about 6mm of Xmax (which I guarantee you guys do not have unless you also have Rainbow or something custom) do 80Hz and not much better. Sometimes I have to put the LPF a little ABOVE 80Hz.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my irritation with these infinities is that they do not sound full, they have absolutely no bass, and highs hurt my ears, I just not think they can produce the full range of 300 to 5000 Hertz, and if they do, its very suppressed by the tweeters

I do not mind having to cross them over but they just do not sound good to me.

I mean would this be a good EQ curve for them
****/\****
___/***\***
*******\**
********\*, lows are filtered, so no need to adjust them

or perhaps this
****__****
___/***\***
*******\**
********\*

well I can set the LPF
120, 150, 200 as well, should I try something higher?

Last edited by kny3twalker; 04-17-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They probably only go down to like 100Hz and they probably didn't match the tweeter level to the woofer level. They might also be playing the tweeter down too low or the woofer up too high. My Rainbow set played its metal cone woofers WAY too high and it hurt my ears with some songs, so I replaced the tweeters with Seas Neo tweets and brought the crossover down to 2kHz and it sounds great now.