Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what's with head unit manufacturers lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
so i'm looking at the different head units out there, and it seems that it's getting harder & harder to get a decent unit that also looks good, without having to take out a second mortgage to afford it.

most of the units out there just plain look like ***. they're ugly as hell. they may have a lot (or all) of the features i want, but i'll be damned if i'm going to put a head unit in my car that looks like ****.

then, most of the few that actually look good don't have anywhere near the features that i want/need, like 4v+ preamp outputs, USB thumb drive support, etc.

it's like the car audio industry (at least as it pertains to head units) is going backwards instead of forward....and it's really annoying to see the absolute **** that they're putting out there now.
I have looked for a suitable "factory style" replacement for my monsoon. Ive been looking for about 2 months now and concluded there is no direct replacement for factory features and appearance without giving up something.

Hence, I am still looking to find something for my 99 z28.

Specifically:
  1. There is no suitable DIN and 1/2 (OK everybody knows that)
  2. VSS volume control is a big feature to me that I want to keep
  3. All of the preamp connections, sub, tweet, woof and rear (yes i like the rear speakers)
  4. 4 Volts out
  5. I hate blue lights, who decided you had to have blue lights anyway? don't you care about that? I also don't know who decided you had to have square toed shoes but they crammed those down your throat too.
  6. Easy access to a usb port from the front
  7. Blue-tooth "included", why pay 200 bucks for something else to hang on.
  8. ipod blows to me but maybe an ipod thing on the front
  9. usb wire on the back for a hdd
  10. A nice clock like the Monsoon has
  11. And what about the stark GLOSS black trim compared to the nicely flattened charcoal match of the OEM

It seems that so many people have replaced their HU and totally forgot how good looking, understated and succinct the OEM dash was originally.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've personally always liked the jvc headunits. I know not the top of the line but looks good to me and does the few things I wanted (dvd/ipod/usb/bluetooth).
Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

I just picked up an alpine cda-9887. Its not perfect but it looks good and does quite bit.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fredmr39
What are you trying to say?
it matches well... it's black and you can select any color display to match your car. also you can download background pictures of your choice

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
what model?
I have yet to see any that cheap except from the generic brands
the pioneer avic d3(x). i don't think it's generic. i got a good deal + a $200 rebate. i'm in love with this unit lol.

Last edited by toslo5o; 06-01-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by toslo5o
it matches well... it's black and you can select any color display to match your car. also you can download background pictures of your choice

the pioneer avic d3(x). i don't think it's generic. i got a good deal + a $200 rebate. i'm in love with this unit lol.

yeah but the DVD navigation is the weak point on that unit
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

have you tried contacting any of the manufacutre's with your concern. sometimes they do listen. try growing up in the late 60s thru the 70's i had to turn the **** to try and find a station, now that really sucked.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jam01
have you tried contacting any of the manufacutre's with your concern. sometimes they do listen. try growing up in the late 60s thru the 70's i had to turn the **** to try and find a station, now that really sucked.
yeah, i remember those radios.

i remember riding in the car & truck with my dad when i was young, and trying to "zone in" on a radio station. talk about sucking *****.....

and my first few home "boombox" type radios had the same dial on them, too.

all i can say is thank goodness for the digital age!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Banned

yeah but the DVD navigation is the weak point on that unit
i don't find it to be troublesome at all...i place the nav cd in set my destination and take it out. i can still listen to a cd or play a dvd. plus if i miss a turn or go completely off course it reroutes me.

I just picked up an alpine cda-9887. Its not perfect but it looks good and does quite bit.
i like these also but not in my TA... blue lighting would be way off

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-03-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Launching!

I'm pretty much set on a Pioneer Premier head unit.... DEHP500UB or DEHP600UB. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ier/DEH-P600UB
I'm a sucker for motorized faceplates, but I've been reading that Alpine's been having problems with motorized ones.

Silly question, but does anyone know if the motorized faceplates on Pioneers are removable? My Alpine came off with just the push of a button, but it looks like Pioneers are just a bit more complicated. I know on the non-motorized ones you gotta yank it one way then the other or something

I didn't see any sponsors that carried Pioneer Premier head units. I do remember seeing some website with some really good prices, better than newegg and Amazon, their layout was white and blue. I forgot the name, but it was on LS1tech somewhere. Their sidebar was blue, and it wasn't Crutchfield. Can anyone PM me the link?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by toslo5o
i don't find it to be troublesome at all...i place the nav cd in set my destination and take it out. i can still listen to a cd or play a dvd. plus if i miss a turn or go completely off course it reroutes me.

i like these also but not in my TA... blue lighting would be way off
the 9887 has color selectable lighting not limited to blue like the 9886
Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

I got this one off of ebay around christmas for $200 sealed in the box and I love it!

Quick Reply: what's with head unit manufacturers lately?