Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replaced Stock Front w/Infinity 62.7i - Sounds Like Hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at cross overs. The factor speaker uses a cap for the tweeter. Not sure what is uses for the door. I have not got that far. If you put a 4ohm speeker in place a 2 ohm you will change the cross over frequcy by like half. you will need to take out the factor crossover and use the one that came with you speekers. The problem is that there is only one input to the new cross over. I am going to split the new cross over I got into to seperate inputs. One for the woofer and one for the tweeter.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard several people on here say they used the factory x-over and aftermarket components sounded fine.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup! My CDT's I just put in did. Look for the video tomorrow. Don't know how well it will turn out but I will try.

Too many people change things just because. Try it first and see. Change things when an it just isn't working. Or send me the money you save! LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hatchetman337
I've heard several people on here say they used the factory x-over and aftermarket components sounded fine.
They just have nothing to compare to. I've used this counterargument before and I will likely use it again: Most people think their stock sound system sounds fine, too (unless blown).

Depending on which speakers you buy, some will not be too bad with the stock crossovers whereas most will be bad and some will be downright terrible. First order crossovers are almost impossible to use in a 2-way system. You need a tweeter that plays down to say 1kHz (which means a 1.25" or so tweeter), a woofer that plays past 6kHz (8 would be much better), and a crossover point of probably 4kHz. And when I use the word "play" in this case, I mean flat to. It's hard to do with a 5.25" woofer and even harder with a 6.5" or woofer.

Any decent aftermarket 2-way setup will use 2nd order if not 4th order crossovers. Non-paper speakers should definitely use 4th order.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i have kappas in the front and reference in the rear with reference amps and mine is crystal clear and LOUD. all new wiring of course through the door boots.

Quick Reply: Replaced Stock Front w/Infinity 62.7i - Sounds Like Hell