Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replaced Stock Front w/Infinity 62.7i - Sounds Like Hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replaced Stock Front w/Infinity 62.7i - Sounds Like Hell

I picked un a pair of Infinity 62.7i's today and wired them directly into my Monsoon, just like stock. I have only done the drivers' side so far but just checked out the sound and it sounds like hell. Muffled, no highs, distorts at about 1/2 volume.

My stereo sounded like crap overall - that's why I wanted to change them.

Now the 3 stock speakers sound great in comparison.

What's wrong???
Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infinity isn't a very good speaker, but mainly you need to replace the stock amp so you can bypass the stock crossover. And having more power will certainly help.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

I have read that people that "thought" their speakers were in need of replacement have had good results with this speaker.

My stock system distorts and pops at about 1/2 volume so I though for sure it was the speakers - I guess not??
Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

List your full system and tell us how you hooked up the speakers. You probably hooked them up wrong and can do better than what you have. But you will need an amp to get the best possible quality out of them. You can probably improve over stock without an amp, but you can't get "good" sound without it.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

I tried every possible combination with the speakers.

I spliced the connections that came with the speakers (minus the crossover) directly to the stock wiring (red-positive black-negative).

I then tried wiring in the cross over (which I don't think I need beacuse they are crossed over at the amp/head unit??).

I then reversed the polarity on each combination just in case.

Then I reversed the woofer / tweeter combo just in case.

And the sound - at best - was freaking brutal!

I started a thread a few weeks ago regarding my friends SS Monsoon system - his sounds actually GREAT. Mine sounds like a transistor radio!!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder, is that factory crossover cutting out the highs because he put in coaxials? Most people use component sets in the doors because that's what's there stock. Most who don't like infinitys say it's because the highs are too bright, not that there isn't any. Are those returnable? I'd go get some components instead. As far as infinitys go, though, they can sound very good IMO. If you like your highs bright, you may like them. Running off stock power, though, you'd probably want the Infinity reference series, as they are a little less power hungry than the kappas. I had kappa 6x9's and perfect 5.25's in my grand prix and they didn't sound that great off the deck, but sounded awesome when amped. They need a lot of power to run well.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Or maybe there's something wrong with your amp. . .
Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

stock wiring has 2 pairs of wires PER door....
Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ Bingo. You have to wire the tweeter and speaker seperately. Thats the way i have my Infinity's and they work perfect.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those Infinity speakers are 2 Ohm correct? I am putting in the CDT's I got tomorrow morning. I was looking at the stockers I took out and they are 2 Ohm factory speakers. So why is the suggested speakers something 4 Ohm? Wouldn't the Infinity 2 Ohm lineup play better or match the Monsoon better?
Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hatchetman337
I wonder, is that factory crossover cutting out the highs because he put in coaxials? Most people use component sets in the doors because that's what's there stock. Most who don't like infinitys say it's because the highs are too bright, not that there isn't any. Are those returnable? I'd go get some components instead. As far as infinitys go, though, they can sound very good IMO. If you like your highs bright, you may like them. Running off stock power, though, you'd probably want the Infinity reference series, as they are a little less power hungry than the kappas. I had kappa 6x9's and perfect 5.25's in my grand prix and they didn't sound that great off the deck, but sounded awesome when amped. They need a lot of power to run well.

Thanks man - they are returnable. I'm not sure what to do next, but unless anyone has any other ideas with these, they're going back today!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

I already told you. You need to use both pairs of wires per door.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

go with JL audio if u return. my system sounds amazing in the car and a block away
Old 05-17-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I thought he already did
Old 05-17-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

I did.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 32of32
I did.
Then you need to bypass the capacitor on the car or on the tweeter. Better still, get an amp.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Infinity isn't a very good speaker, but mainly you need to replace the stock amp so you can bypass the stock crossover. And having more power will certainly help.
who fed you that load of BS? infinity is a very good speaker. don't get me wrong, there are others out there that are a lot better, but most of them are also more expensive. infinity is one of the better speakers in their price range, and i've run several sets of them with no problems (and great sound quality) for years. of course, all the ones i've used have been component sets and not coaxials, and hooked up to an external amp vs. the head unit or stock amp, so i can't really vouch for the coax speakers from them.

having said that, **** in = **** out. you'll get a lot better sound out of them if you go with all aftermarket equipment. the infinity speakers may actually sound like **** when connected to stock equipment (depending on the model of the speakers), but that's not really the fault of the speakers....it's just that the wrong model is being used for the job. i can vouch for them that they can sound extremely good when done correctly

as for the highs sounding "bright"....that's what equalization is for. it all really just depends on how it's all set up.

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 05-17-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

"very good speaker" and "one of the better speakers in their price range" are two completely different things.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

the two are not always mutually exclusive.

anyway, like i said, it's not really the speaker, but the way the entire system is set up.....much the same way putting a ported MAF or 160° thermostat in without having the computer tuned for them....you're going to get shitty performance (or at the very least, no change in performance), but it's not the fault of the parts themselves, it's because the job was only halfway done.

you say that Infinity speakers are not very good, but there are different series of speakers from Infinity, some better than others. and each series of speaker is designed for a particular purpose.....use one speaker in an application that it was not intended for, and yeah....it may sound like ****. but again, that's not the fault of the speaker, it's the application. put that same speaker in the application it was designed for, and it may even sound better than a "superior" speaker that's in an application that it was not intended for.

sorry, i just don't like it when people use "blanket" statements like that, those type of statements just scream "ignorance" to me, regardless of whether the person making the statement is ignorant to the facts or not....so don't take it personally, i'm just trying to clarify here a bit.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

I have All infinity Ref. speakers in my car, and wouldnt change them for anything.. Ive compared them to many different speakers (through an amp) and they sound great !.. And i Wouldnt consider them a cheap speaker either..

Quick Reply: Replaced Stock Front w/Infinity 62.7i - Sounds Like Hell