Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Solo baric in thunderform box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solo baric in thunderform box?

Anyone know of a place to get a thunderform type box that will fit a solo baric (square speaker)? Or would it be easier to just get one and cut it myself.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think subthump can cut them like that for you, so can Kee.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Already got the sub? I hope not because you should pick something else.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

There isn't really anything wrong with a solo baric if that's what you want. I put a 10" one in my sister's pickup truck and it sounds pretty decent. They aren't SQ subs, but they do get pretty loud. If you are a big SQ person, get something else. If you are just looking for hard hitting bass, that'll do just fine.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

A Fi Q12 will hit louder, too.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I need to find someone who has that sub so I can see what you have such a hardon for
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a huge fan of kicker products. That being said my last setup (in a 96 cherokee) didn't have enough power to go with the solobarics so I got some CVR's. I was QUITE pleased with the output of them. Especially when price was taken into consideration.

I have yet to hear any Fi speaker, but from what I hear from other people they are amazing. I also hear they have a pretty hefty pricetag to match.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the deffernce in sound or feel when you talk about a subwoofer and people say there a differnce in sound and spl or sound quality?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98boxer
whats the deffernce in sound or feel when you talk about a subwoofer and people say there a differnce in sound and spl or sound quality?
For a speaker to have good sound quality, it must be articulate, detailed, relatively low distortion, reasonably flat over it's passband and have a reasonably smooth rolloff on both ends. The Fi Q receives good but not great marks on all of those. It also receives good marks on output capability. It is just a great all-around sub. It has higher output AND SQ than a Solo-baric. It accomplishes this because it has greater excursion (Xmax and Xmech) than the Solo-baric which uses an outdated motor that can't move much.

The Q is just one of many speakers I like a lot, but I talk about it here because the Q12 works well in a stealthbox. The driver's side stealthbox is a little undersized for it, but close enough that it's still a good choice. It's perfect for the passenger's side stealthbox. I use the driver's side.

It may be a bit pricy, but not like a Solo-Baric is super cheap.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Well the only reason I wanted to go with the kicker is because I have owned a few L7's in the past and had no problems with them, and they sounded good (to me).

I'll take a look at the Fi Q12 though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAmWs601
Well the only reason I wanted to go with the kicker is because I have owned a few L7's in the past and had no problems with them, and they sounded good (to me).

I'll take a look at the Fi Q12 though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Don't rule out Comp VR's. I was a diehard solobaric guy until I realized I couldn't fit them in my Jeep. Went with the CVR's and was quite impressed. I would buy them again just for bang-for-buck.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mattism78
Don't rule out Comp VR's. I was a diehard solobaric guy until I realized I couldn't fit them in my Jeep. Went with the CVR's and was quite impressed. I would buy them again just for bang-for-buck.
Agreed! CC has them BOGO sometimes. My friend had a single CVR 10" in his Hyundai Accent with a kicker mono amp and it was actually pretty loud for a single 10".