Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pioneer AVIC-D3 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is the KITT screen just a jpeg or is it a gif so that the bars move?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
So is the KITT screen just a jpeg or is it a gif so that the bars move?
Its just a jpeg. It doesn't move.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do you like the microphone?

I found mine to be useless
Old 11-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

My microphone works fine.

Where did you place yours? Is the wire or microphone itself damage in any way? Does it work at all?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine is upper left by the visor but voice recognition for navigation is horrible and I even called Pioneer about it and the tech told me that's they are and that there was nothing wrong with it.

since then I never even bothered to hook it up for the blue tooth deal.

does yours work for nav directions and street addresses?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice set up man. ta's have it easy though. I just bought the avic d3 last week and have been installing it since then. well at least my bezel. The camaros have a different dash, which you know probably, so I have been bondoing and sanding and patiently molding mine. It will be done tomorrow and I will post up my install and pics. keep up the work man.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by 69TA
mine is upper left by the visor but voice recognition for navigation is horrible and I even called Pioneer about it and the tech told me that's they are and that there was nothing wrong with it.

since then I never even bothered to hook it up for the blue tooth deal.

does yours work for nav directions and street addresses?
The Avic-D3 doesn't accept voice commands. At least not that I know of. Unless you mean voice commands for the cell phone, which is a known problem. The microphone picks up what you say fine, but the prompts from the phone aren't routed through the unit and to the speakers (so you don't hear the prompts).

Originally Posted by VeitSSki8701
nice set up man. ta's have it easy though. I just bought the avic d3 last week and have been installing it since then. well at least my bezel. The camaros have a different dash, which you know probably, so I have been bondoing and sanding and patiently molding mine. It will be done tomorrow and I will post up my install and pics. keep up the work man.
Thanks. Good luck with the Camaro install. Please do start a thread with pictures.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I just added an IPOD to the AVIC-D3. Check out the first post for more info and pics.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got done installing a D3 in my TA and just wanted to say thanks for posting up as many pics as you did in your first post. I also installed the iPod cable and Bluetooth interface unit as well. I ran the iPod cable from the inside of my center console all the way up to the unit (which didn't require completely removing the center console. For the Bluetooth interface I ran mounted the interface unit itself behind the rear passenger side plastic panel (not the spare tire well). Then ran the wire for the wire for the mic through the headliner to the upper left corner of the windshield on the driver's side.

Sadly, while doing the intial setup I kept getting the "This is not the appropriate disc. Please insert the appropriate disc" message. I've tried using both of the discs that came with the unit (07 maps) and neither one of them work even after completely reseting the unit to factory settings.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zeke34
Sadly, while doing the intial setup I kept getting the "This is not the appropriate disc. Please insert the appropriate disc" message. I've tried using both of the discs that came with the unit (07 maps) and neither one of them work even after completely reseting the unit to factory settings.
You can try to download the maps off a torrent site and then burn them yourself. Lots of people have done it. But it will require dual-layer DVD discs and a dual-layer burner. If it won't read those, sounds like you bought a bunk navigation system.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firebirdude
You can try to download the maps off a torrent site and then burn them yourself. Lots of people have done it. But it will require dual-layer DVD discs and a dual-layer burner. If it won't read those, sounds like you bought a bunk navigation system.
Well, I just played a CD in it just fine as well as a DVD movie so I'm guessing that it's Map discs that are causing the problem. Looks like I'll be downloading a torrent.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Check out the forums at AVIC 411 to help you out.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
Check out the forums at AVIC 411 to help you out.
Will do... I just got a hold of the seller who's currently out of town but he had an illegal copied version of the CNDV-80MT which is why he didn't add ship it with the unit. Also, I guess if there was an updated software installed onto the unit, even if you push the reset button, that software will still be on the unit (I didn't know that)... lol... Thanks again for the help guys...
Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Zeke34
Also, I guess if there was an updated software installed onto the unit, even if you push the reset button, that software will still be on the unit (I didn't know that)... lol... Thanks again for the help guys...
Yup. If the unit was updated to the 80 disks, then you have to use those. The 70 disks won't work anymore. Downgrading back to 70 is more involved than just hitting the reset button. I think there are some instructions on AVIC 411. If you want to get the 80 disks, check out AVIC 411. To make backups use Verbatim Dual Layer DVDs. Other brands just don't work. The instructions on how to do it are on AVIC 411.

The seller may have not realized that the 70 disks won't work anymore with this unit since it was update to 80. Hopefully he can send you the 80 disks. Otherwise they are over $100 new or you download them.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Necroposting / book marking so I can read this later.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Necroposting / book marking so I can read this later.
That's what the "Subscribe to this thread" option in the Thread Tools menu at the top of the page is for. It allows you to subscribe to the thread without posting in it.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 AM

so is this jus a standard size double din?? if not what size is it?? would like to but one in mine..
Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Yes its a Double-DIN (2 DIN) which is a standard size. The common sizes are Single-DIN (1 DIN) and Double DIN (2 DIN).

The size of the stock 4th-gen f-body headunit is 1.5 DIN which is a less common (probably non-standard) size that GM and Chrysler used in several vehicles over the years (along with the f-body). Pioneer and I think JVC did make some 1.5 DIN headunits in the past for retrofit into GM and Chrysler vehicles, but they are all discontinued older models. I don't think anyone makes a 1.5 DIN headunit anymore.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-09-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Did you keep the Monsoon amp or did you bypass it?

I read WhiteBird00's "Monsoon FAQ" thread and he did not mention in his "Upgrading the Monsoon" post if you can keep the Monsoon amplifier while installing a new head unit.

I am wondering what would happen when a new head unit sends pre-amplified signals to the amplifier then the amplifier amplifies the signals again then sends them to the speakers.

Maybe its okay to use on stock speakers but what if you change them?

Thank you
Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thAnniversaryPhil
Did you keep the Monsoon amp or did you bypass it?

I read WhiteBird00's "Monsoon FAQ" thread and he did not mention in his "Upgrading the Monsoon" post if you can keep the Monsoon amplifier while installing a new head unit.

I am wondering what would happen when a new head unit sends pre-amplified signals to the amplifier then the amplifier amplifies the signals again then sends them to the speakers.

Maybe its okay to use on stock speakers but what if you change them?

Thank you
Perhaps I didn't make it clear in the Monsoon FAQ but the fact that the Monsoon head unit is just an ordinary radio allows easy HU replacement while keeping the rest of the system - including the factory amp.

Sending speaker-level (pre-amplified) signal to the Monsoon amp is your only choice since the amp doesn't accept low-level input. This is why you get the greatest sound quality gain from replacing the factory head unit. Installing an aftermarket HU with better quality signal output results in a huge improvement in sound quality. The use of factory or aftermarket speakers is not affected by choice of HU.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D3 Installed