Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

white lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
And blind other drivers, be illegal, and no, those cheap kits don't tend to last particularly long. A decent HID setup, retrofitting HID projectors from a car that has them, will cost you $500+ and it will STILL be illegal.

And if by 10x better you mean your avatar there, I'd say it looks pretty bad on your car. I'll take stock headlights any day of the week.
well hell, i dont wanna be like those cars that blind everybody with their low beams! alright i just need some silverstars for the headlights, now what bulbs can i put in my corner lenses and my side markers that are white and not yellow, like silverstars.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the "cheaper" HID kit on my Dodge 1500...it is 8K lows and fogs, and they are far from cheap...if you change your mind dutin...i got a guy in tally that sells them for cheap and installs them
Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dutinsss
well hell, i dont wanna be like those cars that blind everybody with their low beams! alright i just need some silverstars for the headlights, now what bulbs can i put in my corner lenses and my side markers that are white and not yellow, like silverstars.
LEDs, though obviously some of your lights/lenses can't just be white (such as turn signals)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
LEDs, though obviously some of your lights/lenses can't just be white (such as turn signals)
i'm using those stealth bulbs that are silver but light up amber for my turn signals. so i can put LED's in my corners and side markers?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirtyblackhoe
i have the "cheaper" HID kit on my Dodge 1500...it is 8K lows and fogs, and they are far from cheap...if you change your mind dutin...i got a guy in tally that sells them for cheap and installs them
ok, i'll let ya know brian.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Definitely don't get thoe HID kits, and ESPECIALLY not the 8000K ones. They are highly illegal, visibility is crap and they blind other drivers bigtime. The 8000Ks are for show ONLY.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually mine have lasted over 2 years. A lot longer than any shitty halogen bulbs with tint on them. I got 10000K and I love the look! It's not to difficult to aim the bulbs down to reduce "blinding" other drivers. I had silverstars on my first car I could barely tell the difference from the $2 kmart bulbs. Let alone they only lasted 2 months before burning out.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
Actually mine have lasted over 2 years. A lot longer than any shitty halogen bulbs with tint on them. I got 10000K and I love the look! It's not to difficult to aim the bulbs down to reduce "blinding" other drivers. I had silverstars on my first car I could barely tell the difference from the $2 kmart bulbs. Let alone they only lasted 2 months before burning out.
And I've had my silverstars in my truck for over 2 years. And you can't aim your headlight enclosures with HID kits down enough to keep the glare away unless you don't want to be able to see anything. This is especially true for higher vehicles like trucks, SUVs, etc., but is true for cars as well.

Of course, it's not like I'm going to get through to someone who actually thinks 8000-10000K HIDs are anything but a terrible idea. End of discussion (by me, anyway).
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can aim my headlights down so they dont blind anyone and still be able to see the road. And try telling that too all the people on here running 8000K-10000K HIDs. I guess we are all morons for running HIDs instead of blue colored bulbs.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
And try telling that too all the people on here running 8000K-10000K HIDs. I guess we are all morons for running HIDs instead of blue colored bulbs.
The K number is the color temp. It is not the brightness (well not directly, I'll explain). 4000K - 5000K is the brightest and whitest. Continuing up the color scale, the light gets bluer then purpler and the lumens output (the actual measurement of light) decreases. In other words, 6000K, 8000K, 10000K HID kits are dimmer than a 4300K HID kit. Our eyes are least sensitive to blue light. Blue light also scatters more easily. In the end, we can see better with a 4300K HID kit for many reasons.

BTW blue tinted bulbs are just as stupid because, not only is the light bluer, but the tint also blocks light thus making them dimmer.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've decided to just get silverstars. but does anybody know what to put in the corner lenses and the side markers?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
The K number is the color temp. It is not the brightness (well not directly, I'll explain). 4000K - 5000K is the brightest and whitest. Continuing up the color scale, the light gets bluer then purpler and the lumens output (the actual measurement of light) decreases. In other words, 6000K, 8000K, 10000K HID kits are dimmer than a 4300K HID kit. Our eyes are least sensitive to blue light. Blue light also scatters more easily. In the end, we can see better with a 4300K HID kit for many reasons.

BTW blue tinted bulbs are just as stupid because, not only is the light bluer, but the tint also blocks light thus making them dimmer.
Yeah I already know this. But my 10000K HIDs are still 10x brighter than any stock bulbs or Silverstar bulbs. And I know blue light scatters more easily but I aim my bulbs down reducing glare to any other drivers. Now If I had the money I would already have retro fitted projectors with 5000K HIDs. But I was 16 when I got them and just wanted the bluest **** out. Now I'm 18 got a camaro and a kid and money goes to other things instead.