Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

random radio shut off during driving.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default random radio shut off during driving.

Well, my stereo that's been installed for 3 years now has decided (in the last few months) that it likes to randomly shutoff. when this happens the windows won't roll down. Usually it's when going over bumps so I checked for a loose hot/ground, ended up re-crimping the hot wire and it seemed to be fine for a week or two. Also, when the radio shutoff, you could bang on the side of the console/pillar and it would light up for a second again making me think a loose wire.

All this makes me think the radio or a loose wire BUT here's the catch:

Sometimes the radio will work fine, I turn off the car and it just shuts off instead of staying on for the 10 minutes of retained power. Also, when this happens, the power windows won't work. It's as if somebody opened the door and killed the retained accessory power.

Also, when driving and the radio cuts out, if I turn the car off and restart it, it usually comes back fine. All this makes me think that it's something in the ignition switch.

I'd appreciate any help!

thanks!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

The retained accessory power that runs the radio and windows is controlled by the BCM. Several members have found that the wire at the BCM gets loose and causes intermittent connection. Try wiggling the dark blue wire at the BCM and see if you can duplicate the problem.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

What is the BCM?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

The BCM is the Body Control Module. It is a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted to the heater duct under the dash behind the glovebox. It controls several body related functions including retained accessory power, power door locks, keyless entry, alarm, audible warnings (chimes), hatch release, etc.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Thanks i need to check that wire , my windows (both) and radio are acting funny
Old 06-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Launching!

thanks for the info!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car does this as well. I was wiggling some of the wires and that is totally my problem. The only hang up is, how the hell do you un-clip the harnesses from the actual BCM??? I can't figure it out for the life of me. I think the reason mine is messed up is because I had an aftermarket alarm installed. It looks like the ******* noobs over at Circuit City just electrical taped wires that they tapped into. Nothing like doing it the right way.... I'll have to get in there tomorrow and get those harnesses un-clipped. Anyone know how?

the weird thing is, sometimes when I wiggle the wires it will shut the radio off, and sometimes it won't. I can have the car parked but running and not touch any wires and the radio will shut off. It seems like the wire is loose or grounding out somewhere. This is a real ******* headache.
The following users liked this post:
1999 T/A (04-25-2020)
Old 09-26-2008, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

My car is doing the same thing. This is definitely helpful!

PS - God bless the search function!

- Dustin
Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Check this out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/883334-ls1-body-control-module-problems-fix.html

I tried to track down this same problem for two years and someone here finally figured out how to fix it. I did the re-solder like the thread suggested and the radio/windows haven't cut out in over 4 months.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Launching!

whoops forgot to post follow-up. re-soldering fixed it. I had a very tiny crack in the solder joint.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:54 PM

Default Escalade power windows and radio shut off randomly

The power windows and radio in my 2000 Escalade would shut off randomly while driving. I finally took it in and it was the accessory relay that let's the radio and windows stay on after you shut off the car. It was a wire that needed to be resoldered
Old 11-17-2016, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sherylp
The power windows and radio in my 2000 Escalade would shut off randomly while driving. I finally took it in and it was the accessory relay that let's the radio and windows stay on after you shut off the car. It was a wire that needed to be resoldered
99.9% sure its the BCM for the OP's case. Its a very common problem with F-Bodies. it happened to me too and the resolder fixed it.

Quick Reply: random radio shut off during driving.