Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Firebird/TA door and sail panels, got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird/TA door and sail panels, got a few questions

Mainly looking for a stealth setup, plus I like the Firebird door panels better anyway, not a fan of the mouse fur on Camaro door panels.... but what do the Firebird sail panels look like? Just curious. I know the Trans-Am and some Firebirds and Formulas have factory tweeters in the door panels right next to the woofer, but I also found out they they may also have factory tweeters in the sail panels also? I'm interested to see how this looks/works.... thanks!

Also if anyone has an idea on pricing of Firebird door panels, post it here, or if not allowed to, PM me or something.... I'm not ready to buy them yet but I just wanna know what range I should be expecting for either new or used panels so I don't get raped on the price.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Sail panels- Really depends on the color. Ebony is going on a certin auction site for around 500 for the pair in perfect condition, Graphite is MUCH cheaper.

I have NEVER seen the rear sails with tweeters, I dont think they came that way and as far as I can tell there is NO difference between camaro and firebird sail panels.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Firebirds with the Monsoon audio system have separate tweeters in the doors and the hatch area. They have 6.5" subs in the sail panels similar to Camaros (same size and shape but different wiring). Firebirds with the base audio system have full-range speakers in the doors and sail panels - no speakers in the hatch area and no separate tweeters.

BTW, Camaros with the Monsoon system also have component tweeters in the doors - they're just mounted coaxially on the front of the woofers rather than separately.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Launching!

question: In my 95 TA, I bought a pair of component speakers and intended to install them in the sail panels. I hooked them up to the sail panel wires and it seems to only have the "low" signal, like the rear hatch speakers and the sails are wired in the car as one speaker and the sails are the low and the rear hatch speakers are the tweeters "high". because the components work great the woofer works great but there is no sound out of the small tweeter that is also hooked to the component box.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

If your T/A has the "premium" 10-speaker audio system then the sail panels are amplified subwoofers that have a low-pass filtered signal. You will not get any highs there without rewiring.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I purchased the generic door panels (4 speaker setup) for my 1995 'Bird. I had the 10 speaker setup panels which were dark grey and tan. Since I COMPLETELY changed the color and setup of my car's interior, I have my old Tan / Dark Grey ones just collecting dust in my garage. I didn't know if you needed any other panels or if you needed a set of door panels "to experiment on".. Anyways, I am fairly new to THIS site, but not to car forums (or computer forums, audio forums, etc).

(Just for reference, I had crummy little 4 speaker dark grey door panels that I purchased on eBay a few months ago, reupholstered by a local upholstery shop in Fort Worth, Texas).

Quick Reply: Firebird/TA door and sail panels, got a few questions