Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HELP:radio not working right...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP:radio not working right...

Well heres the issue, it is very strange to. It only does this once in a while but latley its been an everyday thing and its driving me nuts. My radio will turn off while im driving, and when i mean turn off i mean it has no power, and when it goes into this state my windows will not work, and if i hit the top of the dash above the radio iot will turn back on then turn off again later. please help this is driving me nuts, could this possibly be a bad head unit???
Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a BCM issue if i recall something with the rap circuit
Old 07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

ok so what exactly do i have to fix, and how hard or expensive is this, i am really unfamiliar with what i am being told lol
Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

ttt... anybody know??
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The radio and windows are powered by the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) circuit which continues to provide power for several minutes after the ignition is turned off until a door is opened. The RAP circuit is controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module) - a black box about the size of a paperback mounted to the ductwork under the dash behind the glovebox.

Several members have experienced intermittent cut-out of the RAP circuit causing the radio and windows to stop functioning even when the car is running. This can be caused by a loose connection of the RAP wire at the BCM, a loose pin in the BCM connector, or a faulty BCM. The first two conditions can be repaired but the BCM itself is not serviceable - it can only be replaced.

Check for a loose wire or pin by moving the dark blue wire in the black BCM connector to see if the radio cuts out. If you don't find a loose connection then you'll have to replace the BCM. A new BCM will program itself to match the resistor in your ignition key when it is first activated. This programming can only happen once - once set, the BCM can not be reprogrammed. A used BCM has only a 1 in 15 chance of matching the resistor in your ignition key so you probably will need to bypass the VATS Pass-Key II system. VATS bypass is a fairly common procedure used when installing remote start systems so most good car audio shops can do it for you. You can do it yourself for the cost of a few resistors if you have some electrical experience.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

oo ok thanks alot man i apreciate the help
Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could always bypass the bcm for rap power and just ditch the whole rap circuit
Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=solder+bcm

This thread should really be a sticky in this section. It fixed the problem for me. For 2 years I dealt with the radio cutting in and out and all it was was a crack in the solder on one of the connections inside the BCM. Very easy fix. It hasn't cut out now for 2 months.