Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window motors dying?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window motors dying?

My car is doing something odd......I did a search for power windows, and found what my car is doing is not uncommon. The passenger window will go part way up....or part way down and then stop. A minute or so later, it will move again, then stop. It seems the longer I let the motor rest...the longer it will work the next time I try it. This started last week. Now for the kicker....today the drivers window started doing the same exact thing. It seems odd that both would have the same problem within a week period of time. They don't stop working together....both seem completely independant of each other. When one stops working, the other works fine, and visa versa.

I know it has nothing to do with the BCM (already replaced that a couple years ago) as the radio works when the windows don't.

Do you think I just need 2 new motors? Or am I overlooking something else?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
My car is doing something odd......I did a search for power windows, and found what my car is doing is not uncommon. The passenger window will go part way up....or part way down and then stop. A minute or so later, it will move again, then stop. It seems the longer I let the motor rest...the longer it will work the next time I try it. This started last week. Now for the kicker....today the drivers window started doing the same exact thing. It seems odd that both would have the same problem within a week period of time. They don't stop working together....both seem completely independant of each other. When one stops working, the other works fine, and visa versa.

I know it has nothing to do with the BCM (already replaced that a couple years ago) as the radio works when the windows don't.

Do you think I just need 2 new motors? Or am I overlooking something else?
My windows started doing the same thing recently. My driver side only has done it once though.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine are dying to, but yes you should be fine with getting new motors. anyone more informed please reply.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need new motors.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Common problem... New motors fixes it
Old 09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Is it common for both to go at once?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
Is it common for both to go at once?
Its not unheard of. My OEM set died within 6-8 weeks of each other and my first replacement set died within 2 months of each other.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Get new motors AND becareful not to knock out too many/wrong rivets when taking the old motor out.....you will hate your life when you attempt to put together the entire window essembly with NO SPACE..unless you have midget hands of course
Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Ws698
you will hate your life when you attempt to put together the entire window essembly with NO SPACE..unless you have midget hands of course

Funny ****, yet true.

Really pay attention to what you drill out and be carefull not to drill the fiber glass.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the info....I'll change them and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

the oem windom motors are mounted in with rivets, there is a replacement window motor guide somewhere on here to show you which ones to drill out. the new motor, about $50 from autoparts store, will come with bolts and nuts so easy mounting. remember with your new window motors to work them up and down whenever you get in your car... window motors are an electric device so just like anything else electric, if you let it sit unused then it will go out!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

That is the exact same thing that my Camaro passanger window did, i replaced the motor, and now its faster than my driver side.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Launching!

I replaced the passenger motor the other day, and it works perfectly. I bought a new motor for the drivers side and will put it in tomorrow. It still amazes me both motors decided to die a few days apart, but stranger things have happened, I guess.

Thanks for all the advice!

-Rich
Old 09-21-2008, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Here ya all go
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html