Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car is stripped out and I want to paint the engine bay and underside... POR 15??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car is stripped out and I want to paint the engine bay and underside... POR 15??

Alright well I've stripped out the entire drivetrain and am rebuilding everything this winter with a new build. Well with everything out I realized just how bad the painted surfaces looked. There is some rust that I found on the underside of the car and a little in the engine compartment as well. While it's all out this would be a perfect opportunity for me to get everything looking better. Since the car is red I was considering painting everything black and from the pictures that I've seen POR 15 does a pretty darn good job. How do you guys think that would look on the underside and in the engine compartment? Or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks guys,

Drew

Here's what it looks like now...

Old 10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude im in the same situation with my formula. looks just baout like urs. i got the tubular k member out but i wanted to do something with the engine bay. just dont know what
Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well it's really not bad at all. I just has a few scratches that I think look bad, and the paint is kind of dull. As far as the rust there are two small areas under the car towards the rear that have a small amount of surface rust and I just figured that this would be the best time to get it all taken care of.

POR sells an engine enamel in red and I was thinking about just repainting it all in red. It has a nice gloss to it and I think it would look pretty good...

Just looking for some opinions from people who have actually done this because I haven't yet and I don't want to dive in and apply all of this and have it look like **** lol
Old 10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

it its not bad just sand, primer and paint
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
it its not bad just sand, primer and paint
What paint is best to use?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I don't think your engine bay is bad enough to justify POR15 just yet. I'd say cut it back down and repaint it. As far as the "best" paint to use, you'd probably be best off talking to your local auto paint supplier (assuming you have one). A lot depends on what type of color finish you want, how much you want to spend, how you want to paint it, etc. But for an engine bay I'd just go with a decent Base / Clear setup and any supplier would be able to help you decide on what brand to get. Personally I've never been partial to any particular brand, but "you get what you pay for" does hold true here. That's not to say an inexpensive paint will look like ***, but if you spend the coin on some great paint you'll get great results.

Hope that's not too vague for you.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for a point of reference, I did the same thing a few years back, I scuffed it up and spent days de-greasing. Actually painting it was quick, prep took forever, I used some dupli color and it's seemed to hold up pretty well. I've pulled the motor three times since then and worked in the bay quite a bit and it's got it's fair share of scratches and looks dookie again. I went with a satin black like the old school cars had. In it current state it's nothing to show off, but it held up for a few years with A LOT of abuse.

Also, autobodytoolmart and eastwood sells a 2K epoxy rust cure primer and clear from spray max. You activate it in the can and have 24 hrs to use it. It's a bit pricey at about $18 a can but it works and is very durable. I've used it on small parts.
http://search.eastwoodco.com/search?...=black+aerosol
eastwood also sells a wide selection of chassis black aerosols. I've not used any of them but they look promising. You could cover it with the 2K for extra durability.

It looks pretty good really, if you want red, scuff it, degrease it and spray some 2K clear.

Last edited by v7guy; 10-13-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 AM
On The Tree

dont know if my glasses need checked but it looks pretty clean to me id go with just sanding and repainting it

Quick Reply: Car is stripped out and I want to paint the engine bay and underside... POR 15??