Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LED SMT steering wheel controls, PICS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LED SMT steering wheel controls, PICS...

I have been putting off installing the LED plates for my steering wheel ( I don't know why ? ) and I'm glad I took some time to finalize this project. The results are nothing short of spectacular considering this project looks harder than it is to actually finish ! I would rate this project a 5 (maybe a 6 if you want to obtain excellence) on a scale of 1 to 10. It took me about 1 hour to complete, taking my time. You will need to purchase a 1/8" nut driver from a local hardware store (hard to find item), assuming the screw you take out of your steering wheel control is the same size. I mention this point because I purchased brand new steering wheel controls for this project and there have been some reports that the screw size is different on certain years ? I actually took the switch to the hardware store and tried about 4 different nut drivers before finding the correct item. The directions even state a 3mm, doh You will want a couple of small jewelers screw drivers to gently pop open the steering wheel controls once you have removed them from the wheel. I was extra careful to make sure I position the new SMT LED circuit board correctly into each form factor. Proceeded to re-assemble both units and test the click action of all button ( A' ok ), if any button does not have a positive click after re-assembly "STOP" and re-do the procedure untill all buttons click After re-installing everything I could not wait to turn on the new LED's and to my amazement it looks fantastic in person (pictures do not do it justice) !

I have converted every last incandescent bulb in the interior to LED except my foglight switch, which I'm currently getting ready to convert that unit. That will be a different day, to much to tackle with the sun going down

Here are the pics: Enjoy !

Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, looks really good. i did the same thing about a year ago. the hardest thing for me was putting them back in. those damn wires were so hard to pop back into place. i love the gauges and how the bird lights up. good job man.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Damn Mike, I can't keep up with you, LOL. I added pics in my thread finally too, check it out pimpin.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Will do, BM05
Old 10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Did the kit cost about $75? The place I found that has it for sale wants an outstanding price for such a low-cost (to manufacture) item.

Does it adjust brightness with the dimmer switch? If not, is there a way to control the brightness level before installing?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Any link to where you got these or should I just google them?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll give you a hint... Zee Zee Pea, and they're for a Grand Prix.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I'll give you a hint... Zee Zee Pea, and they're for a Grand Prix.

I am lost... Zea Zea Pea? Just give me a name to google or put up the link.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Google ZZP.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

that looks sick! come do my car with blue leds!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, I forgot all about this thread. Looks like there has been some activity Zee, Zee, Peeeeee Just PM me if you want the link. IIRC there are 3 color choices ( RED, BLUE, GREEN ).

PS: to answer the question on dimming, it will dim down slightly using the factory dimmer wheel. It's not really meant to dim ( LED's ), but I did notice a small range of dimming the steering wheel lights. It looks very nice in person, better than the pics do justice
Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Ah, it's ZZperformance for anyone else looking to get these, and it's listed under the electronics section.

Thanks for the hints guys.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

You said you purchased brand new steering wheel controls.I am looking for black faced controls.Are they OEM?If so what vehicle where they for?
Originally Posted by 96silverram
I have been putting off installing the LED plates for my steering wheel ( I don't know why ? ) and I'm glad I took some time to finalize this project. The results are nothing short of spectacular considering this project looks harder than it is to actually finish ! I would rate this project a 5 (maybe a 6 if you want to obtain excellence) on a scale of 1 to 10. It took me about 1 hour to complete, taking my time. You will need to purchase a 1/8" nut driver from a local hardware store (hard to find item), assuming the screw you take out of your steering wheel control is the same size. I mention this point because I purchased brand new steering wheel controls for this project and there have been some reports that the screw size is different on certain years ? I actually took the switch to the hardware store and tried about 4 different nut drivers before finding the correct item. The directions even state a 3mm, doh You will want a couple of small jewelers screw drivers to gently pop open the steering wheel controls once you have removed them from the wheel. I was extra careful to make sure I position the new SMT LED circuit board correctly into each form factor. Proceeded to re-assemble both units and test the click action of all button ( A' ok ), if any button does not have a positive click after re-assembly "STOP" and re-do the procedure untill all buttons click After re-installing everything I could not wait to turn on the new LED's and to my amazement it looks fantastic in person (pictures do not do it justice) !

I have converted every last incandescent bulb in the interior to LED except my foglight switch, which I'm currently getting ready to convert that unit. That will be a different day, to much to tackle with the sun going down

Here are the pics: Enjoy !

Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks very interesting. Definately a lot easier than the other MOD I seen before.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 AM
12 Second Club

Just went to the dealership and asked for new steering wheel controls (OEM).
Old 11-09-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Just went to the dealership and asked for new steering wheel controls (OEM).
How much did they cost you?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry, I don't remember too long ago, but I bet it's a hell of a lot more with the bail-out.

Quick Reply: LED SMT steering wheel controls, PICS...