Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual console into a auto car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual console into a auto car?

Has anybody put a manual center console (with the leather boot and all) In an auto car? I need a new center console and Im thinking about trying it.

However, the ashtray is mounted behind it(where the shifter comes through) which is about 3" at least, instead of in front(like on the auto) so im afraid i wont be able to get it all the way down in 1 with the manual console. However i might be able to modify it some way. Or maybe modify my console (cut out a hole and fit it with a boot).

I also dont like the way the auto consoles look at all. I love my auto but hate the console. I already have the shift **** adapter with a 2" ball (press down to shift)

Anybody ever done this?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a thread from this section about this. Try a search for that thread or maybe someone who knows the answer will chime in
Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nemss1
There is a thread from this section about this. Try a search for that thread or maybe someone who knows the answer will chime in
I thought the same thing but searched and didnt come up with anything.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:40 AM
Launching!

This is all i can find on the Modded Interiors thread:

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
It's an auto but it uses the manual center console. The e-brake was insanely difficult to swap.

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
After everything was disassembled I bent the parts holding the metal cord to the e-brake. I then put the metal cord onto the other piece and swapped the whole unit/handle.

I had an auto, to be honest I didn't have to worry about safety with it breaking or anything but I would have felt confident even if it was a manual.

The metal bent very well and there weren't any fractures/brittleness/hardening of the bend point.

Overall the biggest part would be making sure you don't over bend it, that and make sure you have a properly sized hex head when you do the other big bolt crap. Be careful when you do any work on the big dash pieces, maybe even wear gloves it bites and breaks easily.

The front dashboard will snap on a moments notice is if you even look at it cross-eyed. I would post pics but I sold the Z28 awhile back.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

im about to make your day.... check this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...rite-up-3.html

im wanting to do this also i just dont feel like spending 150+ for a console so im wating for a good deal to cross my path and then ill buy a manual console.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ I don't think that's what he's talking about. He's talking about the actual manual console in an auto car. Not just the **** and put a but on an auto console. But to answer the OP's question, yes, you can swap in a manual tranny's center console into an auto car. It has been done.

In another thread....
Originally Posted by officermartinez
With the dash still out of my car, I surfed the web like crazy, looking for a really good deal on a ratchet shifter. Never found one that that I was "crazy" about. So, instead, I spent the better part of today, performing surgery on my shifter.. After reading the write up by 1QUIKWS6 here on LS1TECH, he motivated me enough to surgically remove 1" off the shaft on my factory shifter. Here are a few pictures of what I did:

BEFORE (no cutting yet.. everything is still "factory")

AFTER (I never thought I'd here myself saying this, but, look at my shaft. It is now permenantly 1" smaller than before.. LMFAO):

It actually took me a while to do all of this.. The prepping took longer than expected.. Tools needed: (1) rotary tool, (2) cut off carbide disks, (1) roll of painters tape, (1) can of Rust proofing spray paint, (1) large flathead screw driver, (1) metal file, a razor blade, some painters paper for overspray and a whole lotta patience! Since I used 1QUIKWS6's original post as a kind of "guide", I posted all of my detailed information with TONS of pictures on HIS thread. My write up can be found here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11683549-post50.html

I did all of this because I own one of these:

However, I plan on selling my UMI Pistol Grip shift **** because I purchased one of these (its made of CNC'd Delrin). It should look very close to a stock M6 car because I have the M6 center console on my A4 trans):

Originally Posted by officermartinez
My shift **** came in today.. So, here is what everything looks like when it's all mounted up:

Taking from this thread (these quotes are on page 5)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...1995-bird.html

First few parts are extraneous, but still cool
Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

unless im missing something, the link that i posted is a link to the same exact pictures as you posted. i understand he is looking to swap the entire manual console into an auto, with the boot, and an aftermarket shift ****. open the link i posted and look at the pictures, they are the exact same photos you posted.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

also, i should have mentioned in case the link doesnt direct you, the pics are on the 3rd page half way down, but it should take you right to that page
Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoooops! haha. That's my bad man. I went to the first page of that link instead of scrolling down. 00MaroVSix was right. I didn't realize Martinez posted in that thread too.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

I dunno, Its unique. But I dont like it, I mean I can totally see someone getting in there looking for a clutch grabbing and ripping your **** all apart trying to shift gears.

Really. I dunno I dont like it. Hey look It LOOKS like I have a M6 but I really have a A4.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

lol no worries man i should have clarified. pleasant hooters
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well if you finding the console for a good deal, tell me! i need one lol
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00MaroVSix
also, i should have mentioned in case the link doesnt direct you, the pics are on the 3rd page half way down, but it should take you right to that page
i didnt read the whole thread but is he able to shift it down into 1,2, or D with the m6 console? it looks like it might just limit you to D as the lowest level yo select
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
i didnt read the whole thread but is he able to shift it down into 1,2, or D with the m6 console? it looks like it might just limit you to D as the lowest level yo select
This was my original question.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I tried a M6 in my car and it would only down to 3rd or D if I remember correctly...
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

With the M6 console in an auto car, no, you will not be able to move the shifter into 1. You are fine otherwise.

I couldn't stand the look of the auto console, so I had to change it.
I would take a picture, but my damn car is still sitting in the shop.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Hmm. So its a trade off.

I cant think of any downsides to now being able to shift into the selected gears. I mean even at the strip you just keep it in OD.

Do you guys use your 'lower' gears with the shifter?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
I dunno, Its unique. But I dont like it, I mean I can totally see someone getting in there looking for a clutch grabbing and ripping your **** all apart trying to shift gears.

Really. I dunno I dont like it. Hey look It LOOKS like I have a M6 but I really have a A4.
LOL. i told him he should swap the pedals with an M6 car and then wire a kill switch so the car won't start if the clutch pedal it depressed. ie anyone who tries to steal the car will think it's a manual and always depress the clutch so it will never start. like basically take a stock clutch kill switch and reverse what it does
Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MurderedOut
Hmm. So its a trade off.

I cant think of any downsides to now being able to shift into the selected gears. I mean even at the strip you just keep it in OD.

Do you guys use your 'lower' gears with the shifter?
I put my car in one then manually upshift it when doing breakstands...

I also put it in 2 when doing a freeway run from time to time. So I need it to go into the lower gears

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
LOL. i told him he should swap the pedals with an M6 car and then wire a kill switch so the car won't start if the clutch pedal it depressed. ie anyone who tries to steal the car will think it's a manual and always depress the clutch so it will never start. like basically take a stock clutch kill switch and reverse what it does
Not a bad idea
Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I put my car in one then manually upshift it when doing breakstands...

I also put it in 2 when doing a freeway run from time to time. So I need it to go into the lower gears
I do this aswell and i'm thinkin of doing this mod... I wonder if there's some grinding or cutting that would still look clan and allow you to go thru the gears?

Quick Reply: Manual console into a auto car?