Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default aftermarket steering wheel

well i've tried searchin this whole forum but i think i could get some better help with a few direct questions. I'm lookin to replace my factory steering wheel and need some help deciding what to replace it with. I'm not exactly sure what size to go with..def. wanna go smaller then factory but not sure how far to go..also any links of what i'll need to install would be GREAT. i have the write up book marked on how to do it. I'm looking for a taistful budget wheel..as in like a $50 wheel or so..found one on summit i really like but just don't know what size to get or what i'll need to install it. i'll include a link

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRT-415/
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd be open minded to spending a little more and look at some other options like sparco or momo. that wheel is a major interface to your car and the extra time and money will be well worth it. i highly recommend going any places that keep the wheels in stock and actually hold the wheel in your hands before you decide.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i'd be open minded to spending a little more and look at some other options like sparco or momo. that wheel is a major interface to your car and the extra time and money will be well worth it. i highly recommend going any places that keep the wheels in stock and actually hold the wheel in your hands before you decide.
I totally agree with BobDole. I'm not saying that the wheel you've selected is junk but spending a little extra on a wheel that is well constructed and uses high quality materials is your best bet. You don't want to go cheap on a steering wheel and then have it fall apart on you while driving. Here is a pic of my MOMO Tek R just to give you some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket steering wheel-family-20018.jpg  
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Launching!

wow that's nice as hell...alright you guys have me interested. where can i find some other wheels at?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are down with no airbag? New wheels look sick (specially compared to stock), but if i got in a accident i feel like i would regret it pretty quick.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
I totally agree with BobDole. I'm not saying that the wheel you've selected is junk but spending a little extra on a wheel that is well constructed and uses high quality materials is your best bet. You don't want to go cheap on a steering wheel and then have it fall apart on you while driving. Here is a pic of my MOMO Tek R just to give you some ideas.
that trek r looks fantastic. i had looked through a lot of options and settled on the trek r or the commando r, but the feel of the latter won me over by just a hair.

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
you guys are down with no airbag? New wheels look sick (specially compared to stock), but if i got in a accident i feel like i would regret it pretty quick.
i'm ok with removing an explosive device attached to a aging 10+ year old sack filled with toxic chemicals... i really don't mind knowing it won't go off in my face if i tap into someone.

Last edited by BobDoLe; 06-03-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

i really like that wheel.. how much was it?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We had the steering wheel the OP posted in my dads 68 camaro. It was a quality steering wheel, but after 15 years he found a wheel he liked better. You cant beat the grant challenger for the money.

There are nicer wheels on the market, but none for under $50.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Teching In

grant elite gt part # 742, 137.99 + 12.99 handling in summit or jegs. i got mine used off ebay for $70 shipped. ya'll might think it looks big in the picture because it does to me ,but it is smaller than the stock wheel. it is 14". grant adaptor is part # 3196. you will have to modify a little bit. the black thing behind the styling sleeve will rub the steering colume. you will have to shim it out some . the kit comes with one shim ,you will need another. maybe someone else that has done it with the same grant adaptor will also give some advice.. my car is a 98 so it didn't have no buttons on the stock steering wheel..

z6.jpg?t=1275709454

Last edited by craig h; 06-04-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP i have that steering wheel in my 85 vette
It works great. It feels ok but is a lil thick IMO but for the price I wasnt going to fuss

If I could do it over I would definitely go with a Momo tho
Old 06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=BobDoLe;13420047]that trek r looks fantastic. i had looked through a lot of options and settled on the trek r or the commando r, but the feel of the latter won me over by just a hair.

that wheel looks sick man...anybody that can give me a site to find those would be great.. what size do you guys roll with? preferable in inches not mm but either is fine. like i said i'm lookin for something smaller than stock but idk how far to go
Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
i really like that wheel.. how much was it?
Originally Posted by rggbly
that wheel looks sick man...anybody that can give me a site to find those would be great.. what size do you guys roll with? preferable in inches not mm but either is fine. like i said i'm lookin for something smaller than stock but idk how far to go
the momo trek r and commando r both sell for about $260 online. their diameter is also smaller, but not too small.

i would check out momo's site, sparco's site... there's a lot of other nice looking wheels out there, but i don't know enough about the quality of them. i ran into some that i was interested in that were a lot cheaper, but closer looks didn't assure me they would hold up for very long. i'm sure there's other companies that make decent steering wheels. with momo, i know my wheel looked and felt flawless (still does now, a few years later).

http://www.momousa.com/products/prod...html?limit=all

http://www.sparcousa.com/steering_comp.asp

the trek and the commando are both 350mm wheels (13.78 inches), but they make them smaller, down to like 250mm (less than 10 inches) for some of their competition wheels.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i'm ok with removing an explosive device attached to a aging 10+ year old sack filled with toxic chemicals... i really don't mind knowing it won't go off in my face if i tap into someone.
I guess that's one way to look at it
Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm ok with removing an explosive device attached to a aging 10+ year old sack filled with toxic chemicals... i really don't mind knowing it won't go off in my face if i tap into someone.[/QUOTE]

LOL amen to that
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Launching!

what size wheel do you guys with aftermarket wheels think is most comfortable/convenient and fitting for a street strip car?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey bobdole, what did you do about the airbag light, and making sure the passenger side didnt blow when you disconnected the drivers? Did you remove the passenger side one?

i am gonna put a new wheel in this winter, but i didnt want to have to pull the light bulb out of the cluster. Was thinking maybe a resistor???

thanks,

wheel looks sick.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rggbly
what size wheel do you guys with aftermarket wheels think is most comfortable/convenient and fitting for a street strip car?
I roadrace and autox so its not the same but 350mm feels good with my 2.0 lock to lock
Old 06-19-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssjason232
hey bobdole, what did you do about the airbag light, and making sure the passenger side didnt blow when you disconnected the drivers? Did you remove the passenger side one?

i am gonna put a new wheel in this winter, but i didnt want to have to pull the light bulb out of the cluster. Was thinking maybe a resistor???

thanks,

wheel looks sick.
you just need a resistor to keep the airbag light from shining and no i did not disconnect the passenger one.

the thing that blows the airbags is a current sent through the wire (if i'm remembering that right). so simply disconnecting the airbag shouldn't set it off (still i made sure to brace/aim it away safely). if you search, you'll find a thread or two about what resistors to put in the wire that would otherwise connect to the airbag. the resistors trick the system into thinking an airbag is still there so that the SRS system stays active and happy and in the event of an accident, your passenger still gets smacked in the face with that ****.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

these airbags really that bad for you? (not to hijack...)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Here's mine that I got from Summit for $60 and $20 for the Horn button and $30 for the install kit.
Name:  DSC06303.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  71.4 KB
There is an install thread on here that tells you everything you need to know, I'll try to find it for you...

Quick Reply: aftermarket steering wheel