Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zaino or Menzerna/Blackfire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino or Menzerna/Blackfire?

Hey guys! I am going to be ordering some new polish and wax for my WS6 for the spring. I always heard that Zaino is the best and everything. But I also got the chance to see what Menzerna Intensive and Final Polish, topped with Blackfire can do to a black car also! It seems they are about the same price, so what would you guys recommend? What would I need with zaino? Thanks guys!
Old 02-07-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you would be very happy with the results you would get with the Menzerna polishes followed by either Blackfire or some Pinnacle products. I would recommend getting the Porter Cable 7424 buffer as it really helps and lets the Menzerna polish work to its full pontential. If you haven't alrealy check out www.Properautocare.com, they have everything you will need and some helpful tips as well.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HOTROD98Z
I think you would be very happy with the results you would get with the Menzerna polishes followed by either Blackfire or some Pinnacle products. I would recommend getting the Porter Cable 7424 buffer as it really helps and lets the Menzerna polish work to its full pontential. If you haven't alrealy check out www.Properautocare.com, they have everything you will need and some helpful tips as well.
I just switched to the Menzerna/Blackfire combo used with a Porter 7424 and love the results. It really wakes up the paint and removes the swirl marks and fine scratches. It's good to know the scratches are gone and not just covered up. I bought my supplies from the Properautocare also.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Zaino first, cause its a synthetic. THEN, do the Blackfire on top. best of both worlds!!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino would be my first choice, but I am partially biased.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

faethor - Blackfire is also a synthetic with excellent durability (I use it on my winter car)

I'd reccomend the Menzerna/Blackfire combination based on my results and experience with black paint, but the answer is not quite as simple as that.

The question should really be Zaino or Blackfire, not whether or not to include the menzerna step. For a perfect finish, skipping the menzerna step isn't an option. Flat out, Period, without a doubt, a menzerna-prepped finish topped with ANY decent wax/sealant will look better than an unprepped zaino finish. Menzerna POLISHES your paint, burnishes it smooth and REMOVES (not fills) swirls. It doesn't get any better than that.

So, my answer is - absolutely use the menzerna. If you want to use Zaino or Blackfire, provided you've polished with the menzerna before hand, your results will be awesome. The sealant issue is simply a matter of preference.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would recommend Black Fire now that I tried it. I picked up the new car kit and gloss detailer. Amazingly I followed the directions exactly
Easy to do, very easy to take off. The protectant is recommended to stay on as long as you like. Longer the better is what the directions say. Using the Polish alone left an amazing shine, but after putting on the protectant it was even better. I even tried what they said to put some of the protectant on the rims and it came out great.

Stupid camera just would not focus today. But here a few pics after using Black Fire.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Zaino, hands down....

I will be taking some more pics of my car when I get some more sunlight....I took some recent photos mid-day in crappy weather, but you can still see the shine....
Old 02-23-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the blackfire layer like zaino? and what zaino products would you recommend?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would get Z2, Z5, Z9(spray wax), get the ZFX as well, these are just the products for the polish deal, they offer other stuff like leather cleaner/protector and tire shine, etc......

The ZFX allows you do put coat after coat on the car in any weather conditions, if its too cold or humid zaino alone will take forever to dry, almost a day.......

With the ZFX mixed with it, you can put one coat on, take it off, and apply another, take it off and apply another.......

I usually do 3 coats total.......
Old 02-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Superbuick has said, Blackfire is a polymer as well.

KrazyDan - After 3-5 layers, the Zaino shine doesn't get any better. All you really need is a good polish and a single bottle of either Z2 or Z5. The ZFX stuff is great but since the shine doesnt get any better after 5 layers I don't see the need to rush the whole application process.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same with Blackfire - you can layer it as much or as little as you want, but 3-5 layers in you're reaching a point of diminishing returns. This goes for ANY layerable product - the simple friction that the application process creates wears off just a little bit of what you've previously applied. I believe Sal said that after 6 layers its really pointless. As such - with Zaino or Blackfire you're getting similar layering properties and durability. Some like the bright look of Zaino, others the darker/wetter look of Blackfire. Both are great products.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Humanitarian

Don't forget Klasse or Meguiars while we are confusing the hell out of them Tom.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very true. Klasse is layerable to a great degree and equals if not surpasses the durability of Zaino in some cases. The new Meguiars NXT is supposed to be layerable to a minor extent (I believe 3 coats or so?) I've yet to test it except for on Joes mom, and she seemed to like the slickness of it alot. I'll be testing it on a car this weekend and I'll post results.

Joe, what are you using on your less good looking than mine car these days?

Last edited by SuperBuick; 11-23-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Hell I thought the shine got better everytime....32 coats better. I religiously use the Z6 (freakin' addictive) between coats of alternating Z2/Z5. Even if it is not "improving" the shine, I love the smell....
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...18921590VaCWNm
Old 02-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by SuperBuick
I've yet to test it except for on Joes mom, and she seemed to like the slickness of it alot.

Joe, what are you using on your less good looking than mine car these days?

-Tom
Mom jokes & dirty car insult. I'm taking a beating here.

I used Zaino last year. I am almost out of Zaino so I plan to layer Klasse and Zaino together. Jngrbrdman said it works really well, you get that wet glossy plastic look from the Zaino and the deep red, reflective look from the Klasse. We'll see. The car needs to be polished really badly though.

By the way, your car only looks better because you dont drive it. Hi, my name is Tom, I'm gonna buy a Firehawk and keep it clean.... hmmm, whats the best way to keep it clean. I KNOW I KNOW, buy another brand new car and never drive the Hawk.

You silly bastard.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

LOLO Joe okay okay you got me there.......

I'm wondering how long it will take before the zealots come in and tell you how its not possible to layer the Klasse with the Zaino because Sal said not to.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Humanitarian

You mean how not to layer the Zaino polish as the final shine because it's abrasive and it'll eat half of my clear coat with just a few coats?

I've got my plasma Zaino idiot force feild charged, I'm all set.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Where can you pick up menzerna? I looked at my local auto parts place and they definatly don't have it
Ed
Old 02-25-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.properautocare.com/mengerbespol.html

It's imported from Germany.

Quick Reply: Zaino or Menzerna/Blackfire?