Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Place for headlight motors???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Place for headlight motors???

I have had a bloody curse with my headlight motors... Yes I replaced the gear with a metal one, but the epoxy was weak and the side came off and is now lost to the road somewhere. the other one will come up after making it with my hands (flipped the gear last year to the other side of the plastic)... and I am D O N E with the current ones. I am in the market for new motors. Cheapest I have seen is like 80-100 bucks for motor w. a 90 day warranty. Not bad considering oem replacement is usually 200 per motor. BUTTTT I wanted to know if there was some secret place that has em even cheaper or if I should just scoop em at about 90 bucks a piece. Thoughts???
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a wrecker?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrrman
Have you tried a wrecker?
A what?
Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Clayton Andrew
A what?
junk yard/scrap yard/auto graveyard
Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The ones from Autozone now come with screws to secure the cover for the gear..... no more lost covers.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
The ones from Autozone now come with screws to secure the cover for the gear..... no more lost covers.
Not tryin to pay 200 per motor tho :/

and the local yards have no late 4th gen fbods. and when they do its usually camaro's
Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Actually just saw decent pricing for the Remanufactured ones at auto zone, could save on shipping and return the cores of mine for some money back... hmmmmmm :p

but i worry about reman's... im tired of having issues!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not tryin to pay 200 per motor tho :/

and the local yards have no late 4th gen fbods. and when they do its usually camaro's
$200? .... don't know were you got that number from but mine was $100 with Lifetime warranty. When the plastic gear stripped (Autozone one) I just replaced it with the brass one, and didn't have to worry about the epoxy not holding, cuz the cover has screws to hold it on.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

The pics of em at autozone dont show screws at all, but we shall see. going to pick em up after work. and also, to get the core refund, does your motor have to have that plastic cover? because one of mine definitely doesnt
Old 05-06-2011, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

I'm in the market for a new motor too as the aluminum gear stripped out, and after replacing the damn epoxy didn't hold either. It's a pain in my *** and I'm tired of it. Let me know how the autozone ones work out, I might consider purchasing one.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
I'm in the market for a new motor too as the aluminum gear stripped out, and after replacing the damn epoxy didn't hold either. It's a pain in my *** and I'm tired of it. Let me know how the autozone ones work out, I might consider purchasing one.
I will let you know this weekend for sure. Yeah the epoxy was crap, I'm starting to think once you open the stock ones up, its game over. They never work the same, even with a new gear. So I shall see how the autozone ones do.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I get my o/e gm new motors off ebay, shop around!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Got two remanufactured ones with warranty from autozone. one does have the improved screw design, but the other has been re-glued/sealed with some black sealant. Odd how the 2 are diff, but same company. Either way I am not worried thanks to the warranty. Now time to pop these suckers in this weekend and hopefully experience normal headlights in the first time for months
Old 05-07-2011, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Got two remanufactured ones with warranty from autozone. one does have the improved screw design, but the other has been re-glued/sealed with some black sealant. Odd how the 2 are diff, but same company. Either way I am not worried thanks to the warranty. Now time to pop these suckers in this weekend and hopefully experience normal headlights in the first time for months
Can you post the part numbers you used please?

And let us know how they work after the install!

Thanks, Rob
Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually just saw decent pricing for the Remanufactured ones at auto zone, could save on shipping and return the cores of mine for some money back... hmmmmmm :p

but i worry about reman's... im tired of having issues!!!
looks like the reman's have a lifetime warrenty. they aren't that hard to change and you'd never have to worry about buying one again.

*edit* actually, they aren't too bad to change on an LT1 car, but an LS1 car i think they are kind of a PITA (i saw someone do it at the t/a nats last year)
Old 05-07-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
looks like the reman's have a lifetime warrenty. they aren't that hard to change and you'd never have to worry about buying one again.

*edit* actually, they aren't too bad to change on an LT1 car, but an LS1 car i think they are kind of a PITA (i saw someone do it at the t/a nats last year)
They are a tiny bit more work on later 4th gens (ive owned early and late), but its because people are too lazy to take off 2 bolts that hold on the headlight assembly, which gives you SOOOOOOOOO much more room to work. They are only 10 more minutes of work per light I would say.

And yeah I will post numbers and results and everything either later tonight or tomorrow during the day
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

UPDATE:

Passengers side (the side with the updated screwed on side panel design) is in and working great. Couldn't be happier.

I go to do the drivers side. Getting everything ready to test. And the light kind of falls half way down... so yeah, the gear in the motor is stripped... Damn reman's... it was the normal re-epoxied one too. Figures. I'll be back up at autozone either tonight or tomorrow after work to get it swapped and get another. UGH >.<
Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE:

Passengers side (the side with the updated screwed on side panel design) is in and working great. Couldn't be happier.

I go to do the drivers side. Getting everything ready to test. And the light kind of falls half way down... so yeah, the gear in the motor is stripped... Damn reman's... it was the normal re-epoxied one too. Figures. I'll be back up at autozone either tonight or tomorrow after work to get it swapped and get another. UGH >.<
At least its got a warrenty, I got mine form Oriellys for about 90 bucks.. both are still working great...
Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by White94Bird
At least its got a warrenty, I got mine form Oriellys for about 90 bucks.. both are still working great...
Were both of yours the new design with screws to hold on the side plate? Just Wondering. I think it's funny how my luck has been though. Ugh
Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nop, just expoxed.. never had an issue??

Quick Reply: Place for headlight motors???