Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alcantara (Interior fabrics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alcantara (Interior fabrics)

So after talking briefly with a couple other members I have a very large itch to at least start learning everything I need to know to redo my interior the way I want so I can start planning/then buying/then wrapping.

I have read/researched a little bit about Alcantara along with ultrasuede. Microsuede and suede were thrown out the door real quick for a project such as this for many reasons.
I am getting mixed reviews on the Alcantara/ultrasuede debate. Some say the only thing different in the two is ultrasuede is 80% UV resistant and some say that Alcantara is FAR superior to ultrasuede on many different levels.

Here is what I'm wanting:
Front pillers black alcantara/ultrasuede
center console black (possibly some grey hint somewhere) alcantara/ultrasuede
door panels black alcantara/ultrasuede
seat inserts (where your butt/lower back sit Trans am) grey alcantara/ultrasuede
headliner (possibly ttop shades) black alcantara/ultrasuede

The upper dash will be wrapped in some sort or leather/vinyl, havent got that far yet. Want it to match the OEM as close as possible

As of right now that is the extent of it. If I start and think it is too much I might not wrap everything but I think with so much being wrapped it will go from being too much to more OEM.

I have found out that the Cobra interior (I'm assuming lightning as well) uses Alcantara. I don't know but I would also assume the new Challengers are using Alcantara. We know that almost all high end exotics/etc are using Alcantara.

From what Im seeing doing some parts in Alcantara and some in ultrasuede is not going to work... Very few say they look/feel the same. The majority tend to lean towards it not matching. If I'm spending the time and money, its going to be done right. Even if it takes me an extra 6 months to get the material.

Throw around some ideas/facts/figures/prices/cheapest places to buy (of course GENUINE alcantara) guys. If anybody knows how many yards it takes of fabris to wrap individual pieces (console/doors/headliner/etc) that would be AWESOME! Any facts on either fabric or any ideas to my project you would like to throw in. This is the only thread like this I am aware of so lets throw in some good info!

Hopefully someone I'm taking advice from doesn't need these.... But if anyone is interested in learning and following the thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_%28material%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasuede
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suede

Last edited by lemons12; 06-13-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unisuede Ultrasuede is the way to go. Alcantara is obviously prime choice, so I advise you to get samples of both and see what you like and what you can afford. Microsuede is absolute crap, do not even bother yourself with it.

Here's a thread on how to make a shifterboot, console cover, and an e-brake boot..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...r-project.html

I've done a fair amount of research about these materials so let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help you out.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
Unisuede Ultrasuede is the way to go. Alcantara is obviously prime choice, so I advise you to get samples of both and see what you like and what you can afford. Microsuede is absolute crap, do not even bother yourself with it.

Here's a thread on how to make a shifterboot, console cover, and an e-brake boot..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...r-project.html

I've done a fair amount of research about these materials so let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help you out.
Guess I should have searched a little more.
Got any update on yours?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

sold the t/a, go for the ultrasuede though. Insaneauto did his dash in it and I have a sample in my house...very nice suede.

this is unisuede ultrasuede

alcantara is more durable and meant for highly abused areas...such as seats, steering wheels, etc. I'm pretty sure the estimate I got was $80/yd for alcantara..but its been a while.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just took a look at yourautotrim.com. WOW!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
sold the t/a, go for the ultrasuede though. Insaneauto did his dash in it and I have a sample in my house...very nice suede.

this is unisuede ultrasuede

alcantara is more durable and meant for highly abused areas...such as seats, steering wheels, etc. I'm pretty sure the estimate I got was $80/yd for alcantara..but its been a while.
I'm 99% positive unisuede will be used. I *might consider alcantara for the seats but I doubt it since it won't match. I think unisuede will do the trick with how little and careful I use my car.
I'm thinking 5yards should do everything I want, that sound about right from what you ha e seen?

I ha ent looked into this... What kind of vinyl/leather should I be looking for to wrap the upper dash etc in? I want it to match as close to oem ebony 2000 as possible, Texture and all.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I'm not a fan of fuzzy interiors.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Personally, I'm not a fan of fuzzy interiors.
Hopefully, if done correctly It will look like oem and seriously update the interior. I think a trans am could pull It off, not sure if I would try a camaro.

http://www.google.com/search?q=alcan...tart=0&ndsp=18

There's a few I don't like.. I don't like everything suede, just sections.
Don't care for steering wheel or layout but this is a good balance.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jsmYPuYf9Os/So...99S766333h.jpg
Boo on the carbon..
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...4&d=1257192459

I think I'm going to love it as will most. May be a few that don't care for it but I don't think.I will be taking a step backwards with anyway, I don't think. Our interiors are from 1992, I.think some updating can help!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't let anyone discourage you. It will look great. It won't loook fuzzy, that picture clearly was taken with intense flash. A camera flash like that to our stock interiors would show how discolored everything is from the factory. Five yards sounds fine..worse case scenario, you buy more. And even if your interior won't come out perfect, it will eventually. Viking Ram Air went through a lot of changes before he liked the outcome. What I advise for you to do before you start is test out glues on some samples to see what you like. I liked 3M 77 adhesive spray. and don't wrap your seats in alcantara.. just buy some racing seats. like Corbeau suede CR1s...which has a lifetime warranty for discoloring ;] or check out some other seats.

EDIT: or buy some suede recaros that come in evo 9s. they fit..you can modify your stock rails or go to a shop if you're worried about the give and take of your own modifications for safety.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can see it being good when used in some places, along with leather. Don't get me wrong, it has its merits But that pic above that Trans Am Jam posted has that stuffed animal look to it
Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree, I do not like that at all.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=lemons12;15036334]Boo on the carbon..
QUOTE]

The carbon would make your illegal mods faster dont they go hand in hand
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to do this to mine so bad, but I have a long way to go before I get to the interior. Black alcantara/ultrasuede with white stitching. Momo steering wheel, Recaro seats.

Subscribed.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
Here is what I'm wanting:
Front pillers black alcantara/ultrasuede
center console black (possibly some grey hint somewhere) alcantara/ultrasuede
door panels black alcantara/ultrasuede
seat inserts (where your butt/lower back sit Trans am) grey alcantara/ultrasuede
headliner (possibly ttop shades) black alcantara/ultrasuede

The upper dash will be wrapped in some sort or leather/vinyl, havent got that far yet. Want it to match the OEM as close as possible

As of right now that is the extent of it. If I start and think it is too much I might not wrap everything but I think with so much being wrapped it will go from being too much to more OEM.
Wow, alcantara huh? I wish you were that tasteful when you decided you should flame me the other time.

I really want to see the end result of this. I've been thinking about alcantara for ever. If yours comes out good I'm definitely doing it to my car once I get my Trans Am.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AmirGTR
Wow, alcantara huh? I wish you were that tasteful when you decided you should flame me the other time.

I really want to see the end result of this. I've been thinking about alcantara for ever. If yours comes out good I'm definitely doing it to my car once I get my Trans Am.
Srk section is completely different from tech related sections. As I have stated, I have helped people In depth with setups that I have also flamed much worse than you. It Isnt personal, all in good fun. Thick skin goes a long way in there.

It's going to be a bit as I have to finish up my exhaust/get another set of rims. I will most definitely make a thread and link it to this one and update as I buy new material etc.
I'm 90% sure I will be using unisuede ultrasuede. It is almost identical to alcantara at half the price. I don't need see the need for 800$vs400$ for basically bragging rights. As long as it has the looks I'm trying to achieve it will work for me.
The door panels and pillars will be first. Then the center console and upper dash. Then move to the seats headliner etc... At least that's the plan of attack as of now.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Nice, I can't wait to see how it comes out. Are you going to do the stitching in a different color too? I think that'd look sick.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Banned

Have you seen the interior of the new ZL1 Camaro? It looks awesome, I would like to know what fabric they used (Alcantara, Ultrasuede etc)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AmirGTR
Nice, I can't wait to see how it comes out. Are you going to do the stitching in a different color too? I think that'd look sick.
I havent quite decided about that yet. If I do It will be very subtle, the unisuede by itself will draw enough attention I don't need it to scream at you when you open the door.. It will match the seat Inserts obviously. Probably a dark grey, my car is pewter so I think that would match pretty good as well as be easy on the eye. Most interiors with different color stitching I have really liked so I'm sure that will be the route I go.

Originally Posted by cookba
Have you seen the interior of the new ZL1 Camaro? It looks awesome, I would like to know what fabric they used (Alcantara, Ultrasuede etc)
I have not.. I would assume alcantara. I was first under the Impression that only high end exotics used it but that is most certainly not the case.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Launching!

After you done with it, post with pixes. Looks nice...
Good Luck your new project..
Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

correction: I just did my dodge neon's interior today. I use 3M 90 spray adhesive. Just did suede A pillars, e-brake boot, and center console for fun. pillars came out awesome, but center console didn't have relief points or anything fancy.. just wrapped it.

Quick Reply: Alcantara (Interior fabrics)