Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hid conver.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid conver.

has anyone used these before... if so how were they did they last etc.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BI-XENON-HI-...item4cf76ed9a9

just ordered my headlights off amazon for the black depo's that everyone was talking about a couple post down.. lmk guys..
Old 11-28-2011, 04:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think that is what you want. Did you order projectors? If so you want h1 bulbs. If not don't get hids.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
I don't think that is what you want. Did you order projectors? If so you want h1 bulbs. If not don't get hids.
i ordered these http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Cama...1743755&sr=1-1
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
This makes no sense? Projectors use all different kind of bulbs as well. H1 projectors are typically from the Morimoto MH1. There are also H3 projectors (crap), D2S, etc., etc.

Originally Posted by kirk94z
Why are you putting an HID kit in a reflector housing? It's dangerous, illegal, and really will **** off other people on the road. Do it the right way, get a set of these:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3181

And retro them in. Then purchase an H1 HID kit with the -3 relay harness from VVME. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
This makes no sense? Projectors use all different kind of bulbs as well. H1 projectors are typically from the Morimoto MH1. There are also H3 projectors (crap), D2S, etc., etc.

Why are you putting an HID kit in a reflector housing? It's dangerous, illegal, and really will **** off other people on the road. Do it the right way, get a set of these:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3181

And retro them in. Then purchase an H1 HID kit with the -3 relay harness from VVME. Do it right or don't do it at all.

not being a dick but how is it dangerous and illegal?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kirk94z
not being a dick but how is it dangerous and illegal?
Why?

1. You are putting an HID in a reflector housing.

2. You are putting an HID in a reflector housing.

Do it once, do it right. I did it wrong and did it twice and I paid money for it.

Go with a true projector if you want HIDs. Other than the fact of it being illegal it blinds people. Why? The glare is HORRENDOUS. Yes, HIDs are bright.... HIDs in halogen housings are blinding, big difference.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Teching In

i am curious on how it looks lol.. i wont buy it since its not legal..
Old 11-30-2011, 04:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look through my PB account, you can see the horrible glare. Compare that to any projector... And there is no comparison.

I now run Hella 90mm projectors. IIRC they still aren't intended for HIDs but there is an actual decent cut off and they won't blind oncoming traffic.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Putting his lights in any vehicle that didn't come equipped from the factory is illegal. Read up on you laws, projector retrofits are just as illegal as any other setup.

Hids in stock housings are good on a camaro because they have a cutoff reflector in the housing. Plus for the price and their long life span I suggest them to anyone over the silver star ultras
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

And just because they are projectors doesn't mean they are better at reducing glare. If you change out a halogen in a projector housing you are messing up bulb depth, projection angle and can often get less light than a halogen bulb

People tend to stay away from the eBay camaro lights for that reason. Sure they are projectors but they often aren't as bright as a true retrofit

Personally I have been running Hids in camaro halogen housing for over 5 years and I have never once been pulled over for them, or been flashed at

The thought of spending a week and $200 on a retrofit is laughable to me. Why anyone would waste their time and money because they think there's too much glare is silly
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
And just because they are projectors doesn't mean they are better at reducing glare. If you change out a halogen in a projector housing you are messing up bulb depth, projection angle and can often get less light than a halogen bulb

People tend to stay away from the eBay camaro lights for that reason. Sure they are projectors but they often aren't as bright as a true retrofit

Personally I have been running Hids in camaro halogen housing for over 5 years and I have never once been pulled over for them, or been flashed at

The thought of spending a week and $200 on a retrofit is laughable to me. Why anyone would waste their time and money because they think there's too much glare is silly
This. I'm sorry if I do **** people off but really, I could care less. I ran HID's in a factory Camaro headlight for about a year. How many times was I pulled or got flashed at for em being to bright? 0 times and yeah, I do DD mine. And I'm sorry for the ones that did do it but to retrofit some projectors in a factory housing looks like complete ***. Only problem I see with having HID's in factory housings are if you drive some jacked up truck and have the damn things pointed straight out into the back window of a car in front of you. Guess what? It's a damn Camaro, angle them down a little more than what you would with a Halogen bulb and move on.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The thought of spending a week and $200 on a retrofit is laughable to me.
You can do it in 1 day on the 1998-2002 Camaro if you use the Morimoto Mini-H1 HID Projector.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...rojectors.html

Why anyone would waste their time and money because they think there's too much glare is silly
This argument is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine can can be applied to any modification you ever do on your car.

If you want to argue a point, go ahead. But don't stand on a sinking ship and call others "silly" when they point at the holes in your ship.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

I'm just trying to point out that his argument is invalid.

There are better reasons to do a retrofit than to reduce glare, however a lifted silverado nearly blinded me yesterday. If that's was his only argument then I find it silly

A retrofit has a better light spread and cut off. Threatening someone by telling them they are illegal is just ignorant.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

There are better reasons to do a retrofit than to reduce glare, however a lifted silverado nearly blinded me yesterday. If that's was his only argument then I find it silly
You find being blinded "silly". On the contrary its quite dangerous to not be able to see the road in front of you because someone else's lights have temporarily blinded you.

A retrofit has a better light spread and cut off.
Among other things. It also doesn't glare like a cheap HID kit in a Halogen Reflector Housing.

Threatening someone by telling them they are illegal is just ignorant.
It didn't sound like a threat to me. However, it is illegal. But as you mentioned, HID in any vehicle that didn't come equipped with it from the factory is also illegal, but a proper retrofit will benefit you and go unnoticed by others.

I'm just trying to point out that his argument is invalid.
Which argument? That HID should not be put into Halogen Reflector Housings? His argument is quite valid.

A Halogen Reflector can't properly handle the output of a HID capsule. HID produces about 50% - 100% more light than an equivalent Halogen Bulb. Also, many HID kits aren't made to the best tolerances and the HID arc doesn't end up in the exact same location as the stock Halogen bulb. Even if the arc was in the exact same place, the shape of the HID arc is different than the shape of a Halogen filament.

With all those variables in a Halogen Reflector, you will get glare (both light outside the normal beam pattern and too much light in areas where the original design only expected a small amount of light).

Some newer Halogen Projectors are designed similar to their HID counterparts and a well-made HID kit will perform alright in them (still not as good as a real HID projector though). The same can't be said by any Halogen Reflector.

You can believe otherwise and do what you want, but it doesn't change facts. Just because you aren't getting flashed doesn't mean that you aren't blinding others. I often don't flash because it will just confuse/annoy the person in front of me instead of signaling the person in the oncoming lane that their lights are blinding.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-30-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pardon the shitty photo but I took this while driving. The truck driving in front of me had HID's so bright that when he was behind me, I literally could not see and had to slow down and let him pass. As I was taking a shot of him, this other idiot came from the other direction blinding me as well:
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
Pardon the shitty photo but I took this while driving. The truck driving in front of me had HID's so bright that when he was behind me, I literally could not see and had to slow down and let him pass. As I was taking a shot of him, this other idiot came from the other direction blinding me as well:
That is exactly what I am talking about. I remember one time that happened to me it was some sedan instead of a truck. I pulled over, to let him get in front of me. Then I got behind him and put my high beams on.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Putting his lights in any vehicle that didn't come equipped from the factory is illegal. Read up on you laws, projector retrofits are just as illegal as any other setup.

Hids in stock housings are good on a camaro because they have a cutoff reflector in the housing. Plus for the price and their long life span I suggest them to anyone over the silver star ultras
There is no cutoff in the reflector of the Camaro. Reflectors don't have cutoffs, and since the focal point of an HID capsule is different than the halogen bulb, the reflection is out of whack and you get excess light scatter.

When I'm in my Trailblazer, and the guy coming the other way is in a car, and his headlights are still glaring into my eyes because he slapped HIDs in his stock housings, there is a problem.

Compare this:

To this:

And tell me with a straight face that there isn't a lot more glare with the stock reflectors

Quick Reply: hid conver.