Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint Job Costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job Costs

I tried doing a search to figure out what people were paying for custom jobs, stock jobs, body parts etc.. Cant seem to find what people are paying these days for a nice paint job. I wanna go with my factory navy blue, so it will be easier and maybe cost less. What are some prices ranges guys are getting in Illinois or the Chicago Suburbs? Even if your not from around Illinois let me know what you paid or was estimated for a stock or custom color? THANKS
Old 04-10-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anywhere from $2500-$6000 for a repaint, depends on how many coats of basecoat, how many coats of clear, if they wet/color sand b/w coats, etc.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

depends on if they remove everything, that can kick it up to 10k no problem.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Well let me put it to you this way...it depends on the paint :-) If you get a stock color (common colors) it'll prolly be around $3k after its all said and done. Now if your dumb like me and go custom (candy Apple red w/ a metallic fade) your gonna end up paying $10k easily. Worse comes to worse meet w/ someone who owns a paint place like me and get it cheap
Old 04-16-2004, 03:07 AM
Staging Lane

in the ohio area, you can get a car with a factory repaint done for about 28-3400, if you do prep like sand and then prime you drop a bit off, and if you mask it before you take it in, that will drop it too. I had about 18k in my paint on my Grand Am that i had as a show car. It was black base with a sapphire mettalic middle with a bright emerald kandy top and then about 4 gallons of clear. i added ghost graphics about a year later. most of the cost is in the paint, if you know someone who does good spray work. anytime you go with a pearl,flake,kandy,multi-layer,kameleon paint type you are talking an easy 10k plus. but like said before by the past posters, a common factory paint will be about 3k........just dont go to maaco

Mike
Old 04-16-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All depends . . . Mine was $8,000. But that was a total color change and stripes.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
All depends . . . Mine was $8,000. But that was a total color change and stripes.
Xsta, did you leave your engine bay the original color?
Old 04-16-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Door jams and engine bay painting will raise the cost too.

Badz2ate, actually I've read in magazines etc that going to maaco to spray will actually get you a nice job, considering the prep work was done right and the polishing is done by someone else. I guess because they spray alot of paint. I personally wouldn't take it to them, but thats just because one of my best friends can lay paint and polish like holy hell...

Figure out how much you want to spend then ad a little more to it, since you will always want it better. You can save some money if you can wet sand a buff. Prep work and polishing is the most time consuming. Spraying doesnt take nearly as long as wetsanding and polishing to perfection.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Xsta, did you leave your engine bay the original color?
Yes, it remained black - very retro looking, but everything else is painted just as if it came from the factory that way. The car was completely dissassembled and reshot.

Pics here: http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/b?KEY=1&ACCOUNT=4394
Old 04-18-2004, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Da** that is a good price for that paint job, pretty reasonably priced.

Brandon - yeah i paint and coat my own stuff and lay paint for friends and stuff. Maaco is a good place if they do basic paint when you get into pearls and metallics, they tend to overspray the paint and you will see where the metallics and pearls get into a puddle and them drip. and also they use a singlestage paint too. where the paint and the clear are one, and not sprayed seperately. but if you are on a budget and can mask the car and prime it to where all they have to do is shoot the paint, then you cant get no better than Maaco. but since i can paint i just do it myself :-)

Mike
Old 04-18-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Joker, I don't think I know you (I am in Lubbock, too). Are you ever on racelubbock.com or anything like that?
Old 04-18-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

There isnt a maaco around here I guess the closest are in DFW....

I have plenty of options with getting some paint sprayed, several of my friends can lay paint, uncles aswell. My best friends dad has a custom/restore/collision shop, and I can get it done cheap (if I ever do)... I know about 4 guys that own the nicest body shops around... Kinda weird, figured I would be able to paint by now...

Quick Reply: Paint Job Costs