Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Wash :O

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wash :O

Not 100% sure where to post this because it falls under a few catagories. i picked this section just because its the action that could cause a failure

So my car had a minor... major lol oil leak from when i got the sandwich adapter for my oil filter, so i could get oil tempature. however.. i didnt have the proper wrench/socket to properly tighten the plate.. so i leaked about 1qt. per 24hrs.. not good and especially not a pleasent coat underneath the car...

So here is the question you all have been waitign for lol:

Would i be able to take my car threw an automatic carwash to have the underbody cleaned..

Keep in mind i have a 98' Firebird T/A LS1 so the alternater in on the bottom. Reason i ask this is last time it rained i got forced into a puddle and it did funny things to my volt meter till the alternator dried. this is a brand new alternator if it matters
Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

I have an 02 t/a not sure if alternator setup is the same, but i take my car through the autowash whenever it gets any salt on it and have never had and issue.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpcase
I have an 02 t/a not sure if alternator setup is the same, but i take my car through the autowash whenever it gets any salt on it and have never had and issue.
as far as i know on all our F-bodys from 98-02 they are on bottom driver side, but im open to be corrected by this. I do know the LT1's from 93' - 97' are on top passenger side
Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 PM

shouldnt be an issue other then if your lowering makes you bottom out in the car wash potentially. I know I cant bring my Z06 through auto washes with it being lowered 1.5 inches but that car bottoms out on everything. But then I think you being lowered 2" still sits a bit higher with a car vs car comparison.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Khaalathas
shouldnt be an issue other then if your lowering makes you bottom out in the car wash potentially. I know I cant bring my Z06 through auto washes with it being lowered 1.5 inches but that car bottoms out on everything. But then I think you being lowered 2" still sits a bit higher with a car vs car comparison.
the 2" isnt really all that bad, i can still use a normal 3 ton jack to get the car up so i dont ride higth will be much of an issue. my only consern is getting water in the alternator and since im an A4 i cant really idle the car higher to keep the voltages from plumeting like they usually do when it gets wet
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 AM
On The Tree

Do a self-serve bay, jack the car up and spray it. It shouldn't affect the car because the underskirts should protect most of it. And yes, all stock LSx f-bodies have the alternator on the lower drivers side of the engine bay.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Another vote to spray it off yourself. High pressure washes may let a little water in around the window seals.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Another vote to spray it off yourself. High pressure washes may let a little water in around the window seals.
I dont really have means of jacking it up since i dont carry the spare tire and jack. plus the car is lowered 2". i will give it a shot though
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

first i would fix the oil leak issue before you cleaned it off, or you take the chance of water seeping into your oil and worse things can happen. also, the best way would be to jack it up and spray some de-greaser on it, then spray it off.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
first i would fix the oil leak issue before you cleaned it off, or you take the chance of water seeping into your oil and worse things can happen. also, the best way would be to jack it up and spray some de-greaser on it, then spray it off.
my oil leak is from the front of the motor, porobably the oil pump. at the moment i dont have the time or money to have it fixed. i do plan on a blue printed pump when i do my cam install since i will have the front torn apart
Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how can your oil pump leak externally?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No point in cleaning if you haven't fixed the problem. Like washing your car a hour before it rains. Pointless. Fix the leak, then clean. Plus a quart a day must kill ur wallet haha

Quick Reply: Car Wash :O