Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Never going back to Dobbs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never going back to Dobbs...

I went to my local Dobbs and got new tires put on. I had Plasti-dipped my rims about three months ago and I knew the edges would be messed up from mounting the tires, it was expected. The issue is that they scratched all over my rims. So i went to fix that and found that the plastic lug nuts that hold the center cap on to rims (factory 1999 Camaro rims) one of them was broken and so tight it wont come off, they also cracked my center cap by tightening it down too much.

So my question is how do I go about getting it off? I would really like to get my rims off and redo the plasti-dip.

Any hep would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
--Brendan
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back there and tell them to fix it.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

tried calling first, and they told me they aren't liable
Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I work at a tire shop...and own a camaro.

1. The factory wheels have simple snap in snap out center caps...nothing that can be loosened or tightened.

2. Plastic lug caps are cheap...try to get them to replace it but if they won't don't stress too hard. I promise you someone tried to put the lug cover back on with an impact to save time.

3. Do the wheels actually have scratches in the finish or only in the plasti-dip itself? If only in the plasti-dip then consider yourself lucky you had them dipped haha it's like a protective coating of sorts.

4. Where are the scratches? The rim of the wheel could indicate them fighting with wheel weights(if the wheel uses front lip weights), or just sloppy handling on the mount/dismount machine. If the scratches are all around the lug holes and in a circular pattern that could indicate that they did not use the appropriate condom for the wheel cone on the balancer.

At the end of the day, if they fucked your **** up I'd go make them fix it. I know my shop is really good about that, but some places are shitty. Time is of the essence though because since the moment you pulled out of the lot they can say that happened after they worked on it and not accept blame.

Sounds like a shitty place...I wouldn't give them my business again.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
I work at a tire shop...and own a camaro.

1. The factory wheels have simple snap in snap out center caps...nothing that can be loosened or tightened.

2. Plastic lug caps are cheap...try to get them to replace it but if they won't don't stress too hard. I promise you someone tried to put the lug cover back on with an impact to save time.

3. Do the wheels actually have scratches in the finish or only in the plasti-dip itself? If only in the plasti-dip then consider yourself lucky you had them dipped haha it's like a protective coating of sorts.

4. Where are the scratches? The rim of the wheel could indicate them fighting with wheel weights(if the wheel uses front lip weights), or just sloppy handling on the mount/dismount machine. If the scratches are all around the lug holes and in a circular pattern that could indicate that they did not use the appropriate condom for the wheel cone on the balancer.

At the end of the day, if they fucked your **** up I'd go make them fix it. I know my shop is really good about that, but some places are shitty. Time is of the essence though because since the moment you pulled out of the lot they can say that happened after they worked on it and not accept blame.

Sounds like a shitty place...I wouldn't give them my business again.
The factory wheels i have are the center caps that are held on by the plastic lugs nuts that thread on to the actual lugs nuts. And yeah I almost guarantee that they used an impact because they were all extremely tight for no reason. As for the scratches they were mainly around the outside like you said probably from the mounting which I expected, but there were also just random scratches all over the wheel.

I tried to call them and tell them what happened and they told me they were responsible for it. lol so like you said I will not be going back there.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Launching!

First is to take pics of the damage. Then take it to a high end body shop and get an estimate for the repairs. Take the estimate to the tire shop. Tell them this is the damaged you caused. Ask them for a check. If they refuse then small claims court. You will win. Any service provider is liable for any and all damaged caused while in their care. I HATE shops like that. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

"Your honor, they owe me 2 cans of Plasti Dip at $6 per can and a $16 center cap...I demand satisfaction for these crimes"
Old 07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
"Your honor, they owe me 2 cans of Plasti Dip at $6 per can and a $16 center cap...I demand satisfaction for these crimes"
objection, your honor. This could be done with 1 can of plasti-dip. And it's just a Camaro, your honor. LMAO...

I'd say to take it up on People court or judge Joe Brown.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sommer86
objection, your honor. This could be done with 1 can of plasti-dip. And it's just a Camaro, your honor. LMAO...

I'd say to take it up on People court or judge Joe Brown.
Hahahaha ^ This guy
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If they beat up the wheel I'd be going after them, but if it is just the cap I'd ask them to replace, if they don't I'd let them know I'd never come back and will tell others not to go there since they can't be careful with customers' cars.

Stupid shops that do damage, however minor it may be, then say they aren't responsible for the damages they did are, well, irresponsible.

Quick Reply: Never going back to Dobbs...