Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brighter fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighter fog lights?

Which type of fog lights are the brightest indead of stock I tend to wanna go fast with headlights in and just use the fogs??
Old 03-16-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

A 35w hid kit, that's what is in the pic in my Sig
Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to drive fast with no headlights on???
Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Well obviously not n pitch black but I have noticed a few mph dif on track with headlights up vs down
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Driving fast with no headlights is stupid. The fog lights will never have enough throw to be used alone especially when driving fast.

On top of that HID in these stock plastic reflector fog lights will glare and they will eventually melt.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
A 35w hid kit, that's what is in the pic in my Sig
I want to put a set of 35w HIDs in my fogs too. Is the bulb size 880?

Thanks,
CJ
Old 03-18-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I got some Navigator NV-362W's. Much brighter than stock ones:

But don't think this is a replacement for your flip up headlights. They are bright but you still need your regular lights to drive safely at night.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dustind6327
Which type of fog lights are the brightest indead of stock I tend to wanna go fast with headlights in and just use the fogs??
High speed at night without headlights... What could possibly go wrong?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

hey M4N14C - how hard was the install on those, love to get a set of them for mine but I'm a newbie when it comes to electrical. Thanks
Old 03-18-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

I don't care what kind of light you put down there, the fog lights simply SIT TO LOW on the car to EVER be a viable alternative to the headlights, sure for sub 30 MPH quick hops around the neighborhood fogs may work (I use them sometimes going between my parents house and my house after I work on the car or have to stop there for some other reason, but it's basically a dead road after dark out there), If you honestly believe the headlights being up creates enough drag to slow you down that you are looking for alternatives to the lights your just plain foolish. Sorry if this comes across as mean but I do like half my daily drive (in the winter months) and a third of my driving the rest of the year while the headlights are up, they don't effect you enough to lose the safety of good lighting (not that stock firebord headlights could ever be considered "good" lighting to begin with).
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I got some Navigator NV-362W's. Much brighter than stock ones:

But don't think this is a replacement for your flip up headlights. They are bright but you still need your regular lights to drive safely at night.

Navigator NV-362W Specialty Light Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Navigator NV-362W Specialty Light Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

You just bought the kit and put them in? No problems? One of my bulbs is out...would like to have ones that worked better as well.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
Navigator NV-362W Specialty Light Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

You just bought the kit and put them in? No problems? One of my bulbs is out...would like to have ones that worked better as well.
Pretty much. You have to drill the original mounts to be able to secure these on but it's pretty straightforward. They also come with a halo ring built in which is a PITA to hook up, but it's optional.

Hard part is making it look nice and centered and aligning them so you don't blind everyone in front of you
Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have those fog lights too, although with a different brand name on them. The same thing was sold through a few different brands.

Here is my install on my 2001 Formula:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/FogLights.htm

Here is Blue2KTA's install on his 2000 Trans Am:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...og-lights.html

Both of the above write-ups are also in the Lighting FAQ.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

Although brighter than stock and more durable, their beam pattern is not a fog light. It is closer to a driving light, but still misses that too. Its just not good. A fog light is supposed to have a low wide beam, not a conical pattern with bright center. These are not fog lights. I leave mine off.

Definitely don't put HID in those. You will blind everyone with that beam pattern.

Actually, I'm tempted to move the stock LED Grill Fog Lights from my 2013 Mustang GT to my Formula if they'll fit. Since I was thinking of changing them to a set of projector fog lights in the lower valance.

This is how a fog light beam pattern should look:
(I found this pic on Google)

Last edited by VIP1; 03-18-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

It sounds like he is talking about when he is on the strip, not the street. The track should be bright enough to just run the fog lights. I raced a lot at night & I had no problems seeing.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
You want to drive fast with no headlights on???

Also means that no Taillights are on either . . . Comes in handy when there are "blue lights" behind you, especially if you also disable the DRL's and have "selectable" Brake Lights.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bandit 43
I want to put a set of 35w HIDs in my fogs too. Is the bulb size 880?

Thanks,
CJ
Yes, 880 is the fog light bulb
Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dan
It sounds like he is talking about when he is on the strip, not the street. The track should be bright enough to just run the fog lights. I raced a lot at night & I had no problems seeing.
That is what I'm getting out of it also, I really don't think he is talking about ripping down a country S road at midnight with just fogs on guys
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Also means that no Taillights are on either . . . Comes in handy when there are "blue lights" behind you, especially if you also disable the DRL's and have "selectable" Brake Lights.
If there are "blue lights" behind you, it's over... But he's obviously not talking about that... the only way to turn the fog lights on without excessive wiring mods is to turn the drl's on anyways... he only asked about "brighter" fogs... which means hes not trying to run from the damn cops... it seems he wants them for the track so he doesnt lose time with his headlights up...

the amount of drag you acquire with the lights up is absolutely minimal though... were talking 10ths of a mph... but if you THINK it affects you then run with it... it certainly doesnt HELP to have the lights up
Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have 35k HID's. They are no where near enough for driving in the dark with just the fogs unless your at a lit race track. Mine are 6k. If you want better usable light stick with 4k ish.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I have 35k HID's. They are no where near enough for driving in the dark with just the fogs unless your at a lit race track. Mine are 6k. If you want better usable light stick with 4k ish.
I have the 55w 6k from BLS in my T/A and I've definitely learned at least one thing about them... when its raining out, the lights reflect HORRIBLY off of rain and wet ground...
I went to make a turn into what i THOUGHT was a gravel driveway but turned out to be a wet, grassy, deep *** ditch. I'm switching to a 4300k first chance I get. Plus you cant even tell your lights are on when driving in a commercial area and theres any oncoming traffic... the light gets completely drowned out. And if the ground is saturated I cant even see the lines in the road... makes picking a lane quite difficult lol

Quick Reply: Brighter fog lights?