Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alternatives to window tint film? - for rear window only

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Alternatives to window tint film? - for rear window only

I bought a 1970 Chevelle. The previous owner tinted all windows, except for the rear.

There is a roll cage installed in the car, which rides along the rear window, about 1 inch from it.. which pretty much makes it impossible for a window tinter to be able to squeegee between the roll bars and rear window.

Does anyone have any ideas that I can do besides using a window tint film? Or any ideas if I could use film, how to do it?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i know you dont want to hear this , but what about having the rear glass removed and then tinted and replaced.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you talked to a tinter about doing it? My tinter has done caged cars before with tight clearances. It's not ideal but it can be done just tell them to charge you a little more.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on talking to your tint guy. They make special squeegees to get into tight spaces. I've seen several cages cars that have been tinted after the cages were put in.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

You could put a strip of black vinyl behind the bar where you may not be able to clean the window as well. It would apply like tint, but not show dirt and such as bad as tint would. Or mask off a line on the window and rattle can? I did that with my dot matrix on the back window of my 4th gens and it came out nicely.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just remove the hatch off the car? When I tinted my back window I just removed the whole hatch off the car flipped it upside down and did the tint from there... Made it a lot easier. It's only the 2 hatch shock clips, a couple of bolts for the hinges and the plug for the 3rd brake light. That is probably going to be the easiest way to do it
Old 07-08-2016, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Why not just remove the hatch off the car? When I tinted my back window I just removed the whole hatch off the car flipped it upside down and did the tint from there... Made it a lot easier. It's only the 2 hatch shock clips, a couple of bolts for the hinges and the plug for the 3rd brake light. That is probably going to be the easiest way to do it
Very first line of the OP. 1970 chevelle

Agree with the others, talk to the tinters you're considering. Don't just assume they can't do it.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol just read that, I just assumed it was Fbody related.... Somehow I missed that first line
Old 07-09-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
i know you dont want to hear this , but what about having the rear glass removed and then tinted and replaced.
This would probably be the best option if they can't manage with the cage. I had my '78 camaros rear glass tinted before installing specifically because of how challenging it was going to be to tint it in the car... and that's without a cage or anything, it's just a tight fit in there. But of course I had to put in new glass anyway, so it wasn't in the car to start out.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to window tint film? - for rear window only