Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tinted Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinted Windows?

I'm planning on getting some tint for my windows, but I duno if I should do it myself or have someone that really knows what they are doing do it. Also what are my options for different kinds of tint? I like the tint that is really black and you can hardly see through as well. Also I duno if you guys pay any attention to other cars but on a few Lexus's I've noticed that the tint kinda has a mirror like reflection. Anyone seen that? Thats pretty neat and I wouldn't mind having that. Also where would I be able to purchase the tint and how much is it going to cost to have all the windows done besides the front windshield? Or have has anyone done the front widshield? Any responses would be great.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leahjoyce
I'm planning on getting some tint for my windows, but I duno if I should do it myself or have someone that really knows what they are doing do it. Also what are my options for different kinds of tint? I like the tint that is really black and you can hardly see through as well. Also I duno if you guys pay any attention to other cars but on a few Lexus's I've noticed that the tint kinda has a mirror like reflection. Anyone seen that? Thats pretty neat and I wouldn't mind having that. Also where would I be able to purchase the tint and how much is it going to cost to have all the windows done besides the front windshield? Or have has anyone done the front widshield? Any responses would be great.
Unless you have a lot of patience I would have someone else do it. It kinda a pain in the ... I have mine done and just the top of the windshield and believe it or not had the local ricer shop do it. They did a great job and charged me $200 and it has a lifetime guarantee. They were also very respectful of the car. Not all of those guys are jerks. Just diff. from us
Old 03-13-2005, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They charged you $200???? WOW, that seems high, did they have to remove old tint or something? I've heard that different areas charge differrent rates(supply/demand/competition), but you can get your old tinit removed, new tint installed and lifetime guarantee for around $125. Then again, as long as they took good care of you, it's what matters most!
Old 03-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
They charged you $200???? WOW, that seems high, did they have to remove old tint or something? I've heard that different areas charge differrent rates(supply/demand/competition), but you can get your old tinit removed, new tint installed and lifetime guarantee for around $125. Then again, as long as they took good care of you, it's what matters most!
For the amount of work they did I thought it was fair. They took off the door panels to make sure there were no lines at the bottom. The back window is a pain to do because of having the hatch open and they did the top 6 inches of the windshield. I have done this before and would rather pay a lot to have a perfectly clear window than to put myself thru that hell again! Besides if you had seen the chic that did it I would pay to watch HER do it again!!!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me i know, I work at a tint shop for my buddy when he gets behind. There's nothing worse than heat-molding the back glass all the way to the last bend, and have that sucker crimp together on you. It seems like they took good care of you, and I'm not saying you got ripped or anything. I was just suprised the differences in $$$ in different areas of the country
Old 03-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Trust me i know, I work at a tint shop for my buddy when he gets behind. There's nothing worse than heat-molding the back glass all the way to the last bend, and have that sucker crimp together on you. It seems like they took good care of you, and I'm not saying you got ripped or anything. I was just suprised the differences in $$$ in different areas of the country
Around here its hard to get "quality" work at any price!
Old 03-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Restricted User

A buddy of mine (2001 SLP SS), had his tinted 25% last spring. He paid $200 for what is quite possibly the best tint job i've ever seen. The side window sheets are cut right at the edge of the window (no clear space), and it's very apparent that they took some time on the hatch. Adhesion over the defroster threads is almost perfect (you can't see any lifting unless you look real close), and the same goes for the factory "polarizing" at the top of the rear window. Virtually none of that ugly lifting around the dots. It's there, just very very hard to see. In my opinion, that's why yoiu pay $200. I'll be getting mine done at this shop within the next few weeks.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

i paid $220 for the whole car done in 5% and the front winshield is done about 12 or 13 inches down and they did a very nice job not to mention the quality of the tint is very good and it has a lifetime warranty
Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have 5% that came on my car when I bought it. It looks amazing and would never think of taking it off, however 5% is damn dark. At night I cannot see anything when I am backing up. I have had to get out of the car several times to see what was behind me. I would go with something like 10-15% if I was going to have it done.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I paid $125. *shrugs*

He used black vinyl on the dot matrix on the rear glass.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

I paid around $230 and they did an excellent job. Black vinyl on the rear dot matrix thing as well. 5% all around. Lifetime warranty.