Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lower valence CME???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower valence CME???

Does anyone know how to mount one, such as have any tips or tricks. Mines the one piece from SLP and it just came with 2 different sizes of double sided tape and three plastic screws. Does anyone know what the 2 different sizes of tape are for, and also does anyone know if it was supposed to come with instructions. Some pics would be appreciated.

On a side note every Paint and body shop that I went to all didn't know how to install one(its getting painted today). Or if they did they sounded ??? about installing one. Do you guys know if the dealer would know how to install one.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my body man put mine on...he didn't really know how to do it either, so we experimented...we decided that the smaller size tape goes on the sides and the larger size goes on the back...mine is on, but we aren't really happy with the end result, so it's coming off for another attempt. A tip that I got from SS LS1: color the edges of the tape with a black permanent marker (or a color that matches your car), this way the tape won't be as noticable when you look at the seam...unfortunately, the seam will be somewhat visible...
Old 04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

I just went through this and I am an experienced bodyman. Let me help.

First off, make sure your bodyshop used plastic adhesion promoter on the valance, if they do not, the paint will flake off. Also use adhesion promoter on the back where the tape goes. Put the tape on the back after this cures for 20 min. or so. Or have them use the adhesion promoter on the back and paint the back where the tape goes.

The plastic the make these out of is kind of oily and the tape does not stick very well otherwise.

The thinner tape goes on the sides and the thicker tape goes in the back.

Use one plastic plug to center the valance at the center mount location.

The other two go behind the rear wheels to tuck the valance tight against the bumper.

I did not like the fasteners that came with the kit. I used another standard christmas tree plug( the most common one out there, your shop will know).

Also, have the shop paint the fasteners the same color as your car when they paint the valance(with adhesion promoter). That will make a big diference, especially if your car is not black.

Clean the area where it will mount on your bumper with wax and grease remover. If your bumper is not clean the tape will not stick.

One more thing, if the shop puts the tape on after the adhesion promoter and the paints it, the edge of the tape will match the color of your car!!

I wish that SLP would have instructions with this I have experience and learned the hard way on some of this advice.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Old 04-04-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, fasteddy...I wish I would have known to attach the tape before so it could have been painted! Oh well...
Old 04-05-2005, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Thank you very much fasteddy this helped alot , very good info unfotunately I did not put the tape on before it got painted but I could pass by tommorow and see if they've started already.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt even use the tape. I got some clear emblem adhesive applied it to the inside of the valance. Waited until it got tacky placed it where I wanted it. Then got some masking tape to hold it in place until it dryed. Turned out real nice, no tape seems, no different color. I would highly recommend you try this first. Ive never had any luck with double sided tape.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Ill have to look into the emblem adhesive, where did you get it from.

Also one last ??? do you guys know which 90 degree bend goes on the passenger side and driver side. I ordered the left and right 90deg. bends but one is a little bit longer than the other.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

3M plastic and emblem adhesive should work also. You can get that at any body supply store.

That makes it more of a permanent installation though. If you ever had to take it off you would wreck the paint on the bumper. Maybe not a big deal.

Glad I could help.

Too bad the kit did not come with any instructions!!

Quick Reply: lower valence CME???