Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headrest removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headrest removal

How do I take off the headrests in my 98 ta? The seats do not have the adj lumbar.

thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you speaking of the entire headrest, or headrest cover? Just curious before an explanation is provided.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
Are you speaking of the entire headrest, or headrest cover? Just curious before an explanation is provided.
both actually

thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowscott
both actually

thanks
I can tell help you w/cover removal, but to remove the actual headrest is a little more time.

Cover removal: There is a plastic liner covering the foam, so try not to tear/or remove it if possible. This helps to maintain the shape and make it a lot easier to put the cover(s) back on.

First, unlock the flap underneath the headrest cover, and l tug cover upward a little at a time, pulling from side-to-side. (Works best on warmer days, pliability issue). Be careful not to exert too much force, but they will work themselves out. At least that is how I got mine off for "embroidering".

Reverse procedure for re-install, but use hair dryer or 5 minutes of sun to heat up, so they will be easier going back on. Only problem is I couldn't get the flaps to re-seat properly, but appearance/functionality-wise it makes no difference unless you raise the headrests from the normal, lowered position.

Not sure if LS1 has a "sticky" or webpage to describe the process, but it is a commonly asked question.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

the reason I asked is because my flaps are not seated properly.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

the reason I asked is because my flaps are not seated properly.
I can relate, and I took it to my dealership, who said it has to go to an upholstery shop. So I have a friend that works in that line and he said we'd have to take the seats out and apart to remove the headrests.

Needless to say, I said screw it! If it were an eye-sorer, I'd have it fixed properly. Good luck, and that is the extent of my involvement w/headrest.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

you have to remove the back of the seat and then remove a c-clip that holds the headrests in the up position. just be careful.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ddelallata
you have to remove the back of the seat and then remove a c-clip that holds the headrests in the up position. just be careful.
the whole back or just the back of the back? I have noticed my seats are diffrent then most ta seats and do not have the big plastic part covering the rear of the seat.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

the whole back or just the back of the back? I have noticed my seats are diffrent then most ta seats and do not have the big plastic part covering the rear of the seat.
I really don't know about that. I bought my seats off a guy that totalled his WS-6. Mine have the plastic back. In either case do whatever you have to do to get access to those metal c-clips.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

It's hard to believe that you have to tear the entire seat apart to get the headrest off? In the 'old days' to get the headrest off you could slide either the special tool or a hacksaw blade down between the headrest post and the escutcheon that it slides into. As you pushed the blade further down inside the seat you could feel it release the clip that holds the headrest post from coming out. As soon as you felt the clip release - you would hold the blade in place and pull up on the headrest - it came right out.

Someone that works at a dealer should know for sure how to get them off...
Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the dealership just didn't want to mess with them since I had them embroidered!

My dealership HATES, literally despises, working on anything aftermarket if they can help it. My ground clearance is so low they have to use 2x10's to get me on their lift
(lol)

Quick Reply: Headrest removal