Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How hard is it to paint one fender? (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to paint one fender? (rant)

Obviously pretty hard. My car has been in the shop for almost a month now going back and fourth because no one in Bryan/ C/S can paint anything with out leaving trash or runs in it. It going back AGAIN the Tuesday after Christmas to have the sail panel, rear fender and bumper painted. The sail panel has HUGE scratches all over it from where they ground it down to get it to sit right on the top of the quarter ( which kinda tells me something else is not right). The paint looks ok, but feels like sand paper. When your up close to it theres little specs ALL OVER the place. Same with the bumper ( which is peeling in some places from too many coats of paint im guessing). Also, weather striping along the sail panel is hanging down and neither of the side marker lights on the bumper are pluged in...

And whats up with WS6 badges?? they have replace it 5 times and the one they have one there now it still broken!!

I called progressive after I picked it up and told them about it. He told me their guys went and looked it over b4 I picked it up and said it looks perfect. Im thinking they are blind or looking at the wronge side of the car cause I can see the **** from my two story apartment!!

I really want to find a shop on my own and do it and not take it back to one of their net work shops. Progressive tells me my ONLY option now it to take it back to the previous shop. Is this true?

If anyone had a camera phone the can upload pics i can snap a few shots. you'll see im not exaggerating at all!

Some advice on what to do would be awsome. thanks.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your biggest problem is having progressive.
You DO NOT have to take your vehicle to a shop specified by an insurance carrier.
State laws in Texas say you can take your car to your shop of choice. Since you've already had the work done, you may have to keep returning to that shop.
Our shop has quit taking Progressive claims because they do not pay for anything.

sorry about your problems.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea the only thing keeping this going is their 100% customer satisfaction garauntee. I really dont think im being picky at all, I just dont want to be in a bad mood everytime I warsh my car!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say you're being picky at all. The only thing I'd say tho is that the specs might be able to be taken out by claybarring, but you gotta wait awhile before doing that to let the paint cure, in that amount of time they might refuse to fix it if the claybar doesn't help. When I had my front bumper, hood, spoiler, and ground effects painted they had to blend the rear bumper, front fenders too. I took my car back a few times to the shop that did it because the first time they had fuzzy spots where the black wasn't a sharp line and the paint bled into the red. The second time, I noticed there was wrinkles in the clear coat. Supposedly they "buffed it" and it never fixed the problem. I figured this spring I'd just wet sand and see if that levels it all out. But definitely man, nothing wrong with being picky when you are paying someone to make your car look good.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt if you go to a different shop I progressive will pay them. Right now the shop is probably (more then likely) doing the repair/cleanup work for free since they messed it up. If you pulled out they would want to get paid cause they would say that they did a great job, and then the new place would want to get paid more cause they would say the first placed messed up more then cosmetic and they will have to do big bucks of repair.
I know NJ and NC law say you can take your car anywhere, but you probably should read alittle deeper because it probably says once you pick a place its the place unless there is a HUGE problem or they ok, and if they (progressive) says the car looks great...then they are gonna tell you to keep it there.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

since it's already repair (suppoable) your going to have to take it to the same shop unless you take another route. the only other oppstion though is get lawyer's involved to have the car fixed right else were. I myself wouldn't take it back to the same shop though
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Teri9672
Our shop has quit taking Progressive claims because they do not pay for anything.

sorry about your problems.
Exactly, samething with the shop I work at. Progressive tried to put a used GT motor in a S281 that had 10,000 miles on it.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obviously, the shop is incompetent. However, you are stuck with them. Raise hell with Progressive, they are your only ally.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im going to take digi pics when I go home this weekend. You guys have to see this **** that they are calling perfect.

I really dont want to take it back to the shop, the guy is crooked and a lier. I hate talkin **** behind some one elses back but rather not **** the guy off who might be working on my car again.

Im going to call the BBB and see if tthis shop has any morks against them, maybe that will give me some leverage(SP)

thanks for the help fellas, Ill get picks posted as soon as i can.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tech
Obviously, the shop is incompetent. However, you are stuck with them.
this might be true, but the shop is only going to do what the insurance company is paying them to do. If the insurance company isn't paying them for all the time they need, they may be sloppy. Our shop would just turn down a job if the insurance won't pay us to fix it correctly.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Progressive is crap insurance. My cousin hit my car and he had progressive. They sent my car to a shop and when I got it back the car was two different shades of red. They did fix the damage and I was happy with that but they didn't blend the color so it stands out really bad. I didn't see the car because while at the body shop the alt. went out and they towed it to the repair shop for me. They said that since I had the car taken to the repair shop it was like I said it was fine. They wouldn't have it fixed for me. I'm sure the quality all came down to Progressive and what they were willing to pay. They painted the car well it just didn't match
Old 12-21-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

at our shop we give a lifetime guaranty with all our work. if that happened we would fix it for free no matter what. if it is their fault they didnt do a quality job then they need to fix it. its not up to progressive to say its perfect its not their car. i would raise some serious hell. also i would take alot of pictures of it.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Teri9672
this might be true, but the shop is only going to do what the insurance company is paying them to do. If the insurance company isn't paying them for all the time they need, they may be sloppy. Our shop would just turn down a job if the insurance won't pay us to fix it correctly.
We never had that problem. We got a suppliment if they didn't give the proper amount. Book time is book time. Mitchell is an industry standard. If they are writing their estimates based upon that, it's their own fault if they can't product a quality product in the alotted time.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

They had the car for three weeks to paint one fender, and line up the sail panel.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 AM

i just got my car back it took them three days to paint and install my new fender and front bumper. I know that it aint a rear fender but i will say that it aint that hard
Old 12-22-2005, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

I feel your pain man. I cant even get a GM dealership to do my paint right. Just keep taking it back untill its done right thats what im doing.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by N3V3RL8T
Obviously pretty hard. My car has been in the shop for almost a month now going back and fourth because no one in Bryan/ C/S can paint anything with out leaving trash or runs in it. It going back AGAIN the Tuesday after Christmas to have the sail panel, rear fender and bumper painted. The sail panel has HUGE scratches all over it from where they ground it down to get it to sit right on the top of the quarter ( which kinda tells me something else is not right). The paint looks ok, but feels like sand paper. When your up close to it theres little specs ALL OVER the place. Same with the bumper ( which is peeling in some places from too many coats of paint im guessing). Also, weather striping along the sail panel is hanging down and neither of the side marker lights on the bumper are pluged in...

And whats up with WS6 badges?? they have replace it 5 times and the one they have one there now it still broken!!

I called progressive after I picked it up and told them about it. He told me their guys went and looked it over b4 I picked it up and said it looks perfect. Im thinking they are blind or looking at the wronge side of the car cause I can see the **** from my two story apartment!!

I really want to find a shop on my own and do it and not take it back to one of their net work shops. Progressive tells me my ONLY option now it to take it back to the previous shop. Is this true?

If anyone had a camera phone the can upload pics i can snap a few shots. you'll see im not exaggerating at all!

Some advice on what to do would be awsome. thanks.
OMG i can relate to you on this one... I have Allstate and they took my car to the shop of their choice and I think the car came out looking worse than the wreck it had before it...The paint felt like sandpaper and you can see bumps in the paint. There is a foggy haze every place where they repainted I ended up taking it to our local Chevy dealership of my choice however because it was so unsatisfactory. Allstate covered that. Maybe you can tell progressive that you dont want to take it back to that one and see what they say
Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tech
We never had that problem. We got a suppliment if they didn't give the proper amount. Book time is book time. Mitchell is an industry standard. If they are writing their estimates based upon that, it's their own fault if they can't product a quality product in the alotted time.
I'm not really talking about suppliments for more damage. Progressive ALWAYS pays less for time. They write the estimates and it's always lowballed. We also refuse to put used or aftermarket parts on brand new cars, which is what Progressive pays for.

basically Progressive sucks.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

What if I called alstate, which is my insurance co. and tell them progressive isnt paying to have it fixed right? Would that do anything for me?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N3V3RL8T
What if I called alstate, which is my insurance co. and tell them progressive isnt paying to have it fixed right? Would that do anything for me?
I'd give it a try. Let them get involoved.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to paint one fender? (rant)