Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To relocate or not to relocate (coils)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default To relocate or not to relocate (coils)

Need some opinions. I am looking into some Nasty Performance Valve covers and leaning toward Thunder's coil relocation kit, but a little worried about the wires hitting the headers and creating a problem. For those who have done this, what are your positives and negatives? Should I relocate the coils since I will be spending $350 in Valve covers? Here is a current pick of the motor.

Thanks Guys!!
Attached Thumbnails To relocate or not to relocate (coils)-pic00005.jpg   To relocate or not to relocate (coils)-pic00002.jpg  
Old 04-01-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can wait 2-3 weeks, I'll be posting some pics of my set up. I think most will like it!

Bill
Old 04-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of making a coil relocation kit that will basiclly be the same as the Thunder kit, but with fully polished brackets and spacers and cost about $50 less. I plan on using MSD 8.5 mm wires red or black. Plus my kit will come with detailed instructions unlike the Thunder kit.
If you can wait about 3-4 weeks max this biz "Chrome & Performance" will be a sponsor here. ~Joshua

I made one for my car already a year ago, but now I'm doing a prototype that I will use to base the mass produced kits on. The one on my Firehawk is perfect and hasn't been a problem in any way.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, I have the Thunder kit with absolutely no problems to speak of. The only changes I made to the kit were to replace the hardware with all stainless and I had the brackets powdercoated satin black. I used Taylor's 10.4mm plug wire separators when routing/organizing the plug wires...if you are careful about the wire routing, you shouldn't have any problems with the wires touching the primaries...mine aren't even close (relatively speaking, of course)
Old 04-01-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

I have the Thunder Kit and 10.4 Taylor's also. Also, just happen to be getting some Nasty valvecovers that should be in sometime in the next week. Getting mine directly from the company that supplies Nasty. Haven't had any problems with my wires or relo and I've had it for over 2 years now.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it better, performance wise, to deal with the aesthetics (or lack there of) rather than have longer plug wires???
Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Isn't it better, performance wise, to deal with the aesthetics (or lack there of) rather than have longer plug wires???

That's why you spend the money on the 10.4 mm wires so you can go longer.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned

1st and 2nd gen smallblocks, both street and race engines revving up past 9,000 rpm have been doing fine with long wires and ONE coil.

The LSx engines have ONE COIL PER CYLINDER!!! More than enough power and there is ZERO performance to be lost by going with typical sized plug wire. The fire will be lit just fine if not better than all the older engines for the one-coil-per-cylinder fact alone.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I'm in the process of making a coil relocation kit that will basiclly be the same as the Thunder kit, but with fully polished brackets and spacers and cost about $50 less. I plan on using MSD 8.5 mm wires red or black. Plus my kit will come with detailed instructions unlike the Thunder kit.
If you can wait about 3-4 weeks max this biz "Chrome & Performance" will be a sponsor here. ~Joshua

I made one for my car already a year ago, but now I'm doing a prototype that I will use to base the mass produced kits on. The one on my Firehawk is perfect and hasn't been a problem in any way.
It will end up probibly being three weeks for I order, so I will wait and see how yours comes out. PM when you get some idea when I could order.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Brian, I have the Thunder kit with absolutely no problems to speak of. The only changes I made to the kit were to replace the hardware with all stainless and I had the brackets powdercoated satin black. I used Taylor's 10.4mm plug wire separators when routing/organizing the plug wires...if you are careful about the wire routing, you shouldn't have any problems with the wires touching the primaries...mine aren't even close (relatively speaking, of course)
Good to here you don't have any primary to wire problems. Thanks for the tip on the wire separators. Will definetly order some of those.

What height is your covers?

Looks like from the other posts as well, no one seems to have any problems.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running billet covers from GenIII performance...I never measured the height, but I would guess that they're in the 2.5" range...ish...<shrugs shoulders>
Old 04-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
It will end up probibly being three weeks for I order, so I will wait and see how yours comes out. PM when you get some idea when I could order.

Thanks
Will do. Thanks for the patience. ~Joshua
Old 04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I'm running billet covers from GenIII performance...I never measured the height, but I would guess that they're in the 2.5" range...ish...<shrugs shoulders>
GenIII performance ha. Sounds like a site I need to check out.

Quick Reply: To relocate or not to relocate (coils)