Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painted BLACK interiors

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Painted BLACK interiors

Ok guys, I am finally starting to get sick of my red accents on the interior, its not that I don't like the bold look, but rather I just dont have and don't plan on committing the kind of money I would need to really make the interior look how I would like it to. So....

I am planning on basically painting everything that is red gloss black, and sand and paint the other panels gloss black as wel, I will also be deleting the rear seat at the same time.

Here's a few questions for people that have done similar projects, I have a grey interior, so what should be done with the dash ? I've seen dashes painted with vinyl paint before and they look decent, but I'm still not sure about this.

Seats I can always get seat covers, and the carpet and headliner are relatively cheap to replace, and none of which would really bother me if I don't replace them for a while.

So lets hear some opinions and if anyone has pictures of a gray interior painte d black lets see em.

Note: Ideally I would love to just swap the interior for a black interior, but thats not cheap, and I'd rather make it faster!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is all i did on my black z..

Old 06-06-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

looks good.. did u have to sand that first before paint? process please?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea..just sanded it down, lost texture but i wasnt worried about it, you can get texture paint if you have to but i didnt care, then a nice can of expensive glossy spray paint.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

my entire interior--EVERYTHING except seats--is black. Carpet was replaced this winter, headliner is fabric painted black. Pics are at my cardomain in the sig!

I did no sanding except when I painted the steering wheel's extremely smooth wheel part, not the center. The key for plastic is Krylon Fusion, it's an astonishing paint. Soft vinyl/leather paint was used on my doors for the leather. The paint job is now more than a year old, looking just like it was freshly painted.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Jared, man I wanna crusie on up to kalamazoo some time and buy you a six pack to help me with my int... Your **** looks SICK man, SICK.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by contraststriker
my entire interior--EVERYTHING except seats--is black. Carpet was replaced this winter, headliner is fabric painted black. Pics are at my cardomain in the sig!

I did no sanding except when I painted the steering wheel's extremely smooth wheel part, not the center. The key for plastic is Krylon Fusion, it's an astonishing paint. Soft vinyl/leather paint was used on my doors for the leather. The paint job is now more than a year old, looking just like it was freshly painted.
It does look great, do you have any hi-res pics?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

That interior is awesome. How long did that take you? And what paint did you use for the leather? Specific brand?

Last edited by Sick99WS6; 06-06-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

how much did it cost you to replace the carpet?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dustin aka dirtybird222 is doing some sick *** interior pieces right now, im sure he will post up
Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the kind words fellas

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Jared, man I wanna crusie on up to kalamazoo some time and buy you a six pack to help me with my int... Your **** looks SICK man, SICK.
I accept such payment

Originally Posted by Luna
It does look great, do you have any hi-res pics?
Yeah I'll put some up after work tonight, I just realized how shittacular cardomain is.

Originally Posted by Sick99WS6
That interior is awesome. How long did that take you? And what paint did you use for the leather? Specific brand?
It was a three day project from the moment I started stripping the interior to getting it all back in. Probably ended up being in the neighborhood of 20 hours of work, if you factor in the carpet which I swapped out 6 months later. GM really didn't skimp on the plastic in f-bodies, sheesh.

For the soft vinyl I used gloss black Dupli-Color paint. It didn't turn out quite as dark as the Krylon Fusion, but I don't think anything really can, adhering to a softer surface than hard plastic.

For the leather on the doors and steering wheel I picked up some "leather only" paint from Pep Boys because the Dupli-Color wasn't sticking so well. I can't believe the stuff worked and has stayed good-looking...I mean, PEP BOYS. The leather was lightest compared to Fusion, given that it was sooo soft.

Isopropel alcohol was used to prep everything--it's so harsh that it actually stripped some of the dye off the dash...but that doesn't matter when you're painting everything black. At least you know it's clean! Like I said, no sanding is really required except on especially smooth pieces, where an 800 or 1000 grit sandpaper works wonders for adhesion. Oh and the Krylon is great for instant gratification--the stuff dries in 5 minutes or less in light coats, so when you're done painting you can put it right back in the car. Just be sure to drive with windows down and a couple air fresheners for a few days afterwards, else the paint will kill off even more brain cells than the previous two days already did

Originally Posted by 98NBM
how much did it cost you to replace the carpet?
$198 from http://www.auto-interior.com , quality product I must say.

Last edited by contraststriker; 06-07-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Here's some of the interior stuff for mine, I have a few other things to complete...I will be back around the car from June 30th till July 10th so I anticipate a HUGE update with hopefully some of the interior installed!!!!

Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

that's INSANE--you better wear some sunglasses if you make the dash that smooth and glossy!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

lol It's not gonna be a DD, and it will have 35, or 50% on the windshield with a 5% banner
Old 06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
lol It's not gonna be a DD, and it will have 35, or 50% on the windshield with a 5% banner
No matter what it is, that will be one completely badass interior.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

great info guys, keep it coming!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Luna your in IL, pay me lol
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

lol your work is fantastic and if I had alotta cash to blow on my interior I just might, but I'm trying to keep this low budget
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

I must have accidentally saved over my original high-res images when I reduced them for cardomain...I'm in a mini car show this weekend though so I'll take some pics Friday after detailing and post them. Sorry Luna

Oh and about keeping your interior budget--it cost me about $50 (excluding carpet)
Old 06-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Whatever you do, please sand the texture off. Painting over factory pebble grain doesn't show much attention to detail. ~Joshua

Quick Reply: Painted BLACK interiors