Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is this???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this???

I got my car painted recently and this has surfaced all over the car. What is it? I had a friend paint it and I am reluctant to say anything, it's a long story, don't ask. It needs to be taken back and I will go about that another way so I don't need advice there. My question is what is this and can I, the novice detailer, remedy it? Washing it does not remove it nor does 3M finish restorer. I imagine it will need rebuffing or is it from over-buffing?
Attached Thumbnails What is this???-100_0797.jpg  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Looks like overspray, or it could be dirt that was left in prep.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks like the paint was laid to then then chipped off or something
Old 10-17-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm pretty sure it's not overspray. I think it's orange peel and the compounds have settled into the pits. I was afraid to sand on it. Reckon a polisher could smooth it down? Or would it have to be buffed? (Provided my theory of orange peel is accurate).
Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

That my friend looks like solvent pop which means your friend is not that good of a painter. Without seeing it in person, that is my best guess and that can happen from a variety of factors including: poor prep, incorrect reducer used in the base coat, not allowing enough flash time between coats and so on.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parbreak
That my friend looks like solvent pop which means your friend is not that good of a painter.
Yeah I found that out! Don't let your friends paint your vehicles cuz you get into a pickle like I have done! There's not much way to smooth that off without redoing it?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I found this link. http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/re...ping/index.cfm
Looks like that is for sure what has happened here. Is it in the realm of possibility that this can surface later? I mean I didn't really notice this at first.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

go get that **** fixed by someone who knows what they are doing. it will be worth it once you are ready to sell the car.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah it looks like I'm gonna have to. Only bad part is I am afraid this is gonna be a mess to sort out. I really want to get my money back and buy a white car as a donor.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just learned the same lesson you did. I had a friend paint my SS spoiler and he did a **** job. Now I have to take it back to him to make him redo it and hes been avoiding me. i have the same bubbles, some drip marks and other imperfections. He did it for very cheap but trust me, i would have rathered paid the money and gotten a good job. lessoned learned i geuss.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah lesson learned. I just hope I can recover some funds. I believe I am going to buy another car and put my driveline in it. I am sick of this black paint ****. Probably save the body for another project. Next time I will take it someone who can do it right. I'll have it stripped down and painted a different color.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does "flash" mean???
Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TUMBLRws6
what does "flash" mean???
As paint dries, it "flashes" off which means the solvents are evaporating. That is why you have to follow the manufacturers instructions for re-coat times. In other words, if they suggest waiting 15 minutes between each coat of base color and then wait 45 minutes before clearcoating, you better do that, otherwise the solvents do not have time to rise to the surface and flash. If you lay on succesive coats then the solvents in the lower coats get trapped and do not flash. Well, eventually they will flash in terms of what you see in the above picture: bubbles or "solvent pops"

Bryan
parbreak
Old 10-17-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Yeah I found that out! Don't let your friends paint your vehicles cuz you get into a pickle like I have done! There's not much way to smooth that off without redoing it?
Sorry to bring you bad news, but NO. It's going to have to be sanded down and repainted.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Good news. The guy that painted it seen it and he is going to give me my money back. I am buying a red Z with Baer brakes at all 4 corners as a donor. This is gonna work out fabulous after all!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Good news. The guy that painted it seen it and he is going to give me my money back. I am buying a red Z with Baer brakes at all 4 corners as a donor. This is gonna work out fabulous after all!
Good to hear . . . I've heard a couple stories this week about paint jobs from people getting hooked up going bad. I keep hearing it and now I'm gonna say it . . . you get what you pay for.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by parbreak
As paint dries, it "flashes" off which means the solvents are evaporating. That is why you have to follow the manufacturers instructions for re-coat times. In other words, if they suggest waiting 15 minutes between each coat of base color and then wait 45 minutes before clearcoating, you better do that, otherwise the solvents do not have time to rise to the surface and flash. If you lay on succesive coats then the solvents in the lower coats get trapped and do not flash. Well, eventually they will flash in terms of what you see in the above picture: bubbles or "solvent pops"

Bryan
parbreak

I couldnt of said it any better. thats is also why you cant wax new paint for 30 days because the paint is still breathing and letting the chemicals out.

Quick Reply: What is this???