Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What would it take to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:52 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What would it take to fix this?

What all would be involved in fixing this. I'm guessing replacing the quarter panel? How involved of a process is replacing a quarter panel? I was looking at getting this car and called the guy. The pics he originally posted didn't show this, but he sent them to me. Get it / fix it or avoid it all together? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really like the car, buy it and fix it. Honestly, it's prolly not worth the work. You can find clean, non damaged LS1's cheap enough as it is. That being said, if you can get a deep price cut on that car do it. What year/miles/options is it?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg

What all would be involved in fixing this. I'm guessing replacing the quarter panel?

Did anybody else think this part was as funny as I did?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, I would stay away and find another fbody without any problems. Its not worth the time. They are really going for cheap these days. Just keep looking untill yu find the right one for the right price.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

basically they cut the old one off and weld a new one on and repaint it. already had to do that to my car. unless its an amazing deal, find another one
Old 12-06-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!! By insurance standards, that car is deemed as a "total", and I will explain why:

1. Just as Phoenix said, they have to physically cut off that part from the frame and then re-weld it. By insurance standards (and by mine) that constitutes "frame damage" because you're messing with the structural integrity of the frame by removing and then re-adding pieces. Find one with damage in another area, or better yet, no damage at all. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Yeah, the guy said it had slight damage. I wasn't expecting that when he sent me the pictures. I'm going to steer clear thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Just buff it out, no big deal
Old 12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ragingwolf51
DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!! By insurance standards, that car is deemed as a "total", and I will explain why:

1. Just as Phoenix said, they have to physically cut off that part from the frame and then re-weld it. By insurance standards (and by mine) that constitutes "frame damage" because you're messing with the structural integrity of the frame by removing and then re-adding pieces. Find one with damage in another area, or better yet, no damage at all. Good luck!

wait so if my door gets hit and I need a new door, the car is deemed "totalled".

Your insurance company SUCKS *** then
Old 12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy fix. very easy fix at that, whack off the 1/4 pannel and weld you on a new one and off you go. and as far as HAVUING to buy a new 1/4 pannel, you can fix that 1 if you pull out the dented area and fill it with bondo. thats how my Z was fixed and its perfectly fine
Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Yeah, the guy said it had slight damage. I wasn't expecting that when he sent me the pictures. I'm going to steer clear thanks.
haha, slight damage. thats like saying the car is "slightly pewter" or "slightly a camaro"
Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro
wait so if my door gets hit and I need a new door, the car is deemed "totalled".

Last time I checked the door wasn't part of the frame
Old 12-06-2006, 07:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Loochy88
haha, slight damage. thats like saying the car is "slightly pewter" or "slightly a camaro"
Yeah really, I was expecting a little dent or maybe it was pushed in a little. I wasn't expecting the whole thing to be completely smashed.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ragingwolf51

WTF?... Some one told you a huge line of BS.

I have been doing body/paint my entire life, what you just stated is BS no matter who is the insurance company. If your insurance company did in fact say this then I would expect they will be filling bankruptsy soon from totaling far more cars than they repair. Also, the outer quarter skin has nothing to do with the unitized chassis or frame structure. It does make up for some of the structural integrity of our cars though. The windsheild is more of a structural part than the quarter is. Are we going to start totaling cars when they need a windsheild replaced..lol
Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

I may have been mixed up. I thought chopping welded parts of the frame challenges the structural integrity of the car.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Zaino
Old 12-06-2006, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how much does he want for the car?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
WTF?... Some one told you a huge line of BS.

I have been doing body/paint my entire life, what you just stated is BS no matter who is the insurance company. If your insurance company did in fact say this then I would expect they will be filling bankruptsy soon from totaling far more cars than they repair. Also, the outer quarter skin has nothing to do with the unitized chassis or frame structure. It does make up for some of the structural integrity of our cars though. The windsheild is more of a structural part than the quarter is. Are we going to start totaling cars when they need a windsheild replaced..lol
The whole body of the car from the doors back is metal and is part of the frame. You can't just unbolt the rear panel and put a new one on.

Why do you think no company besides GMMG ever did huge rear fender flares? Costs BIG money and time.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro

A door is not part of the frame like the metal rear quarters are.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Dude. Your car is not totaled if you kink up your quarter panel a little bit. Of coarse if the estimate is over a certain percentage of the cars value than that's a different story. But a clean lookin camaro like that is not going to total due to something as small as that.

Quick Reply: What would it take to fix this?