Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st to 2nd shift problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st to 2nd shift problem!

Have an issue with 1st to 2nd shifting under mid/heavy throttle.
I bought the car with a build 4L60e with a shift kit and 3600 yank converter.
When running it out from a stop the car pulls very strong and then goes to shift into second gear.
The car lulls big time in acceleration anywhere from 2-4 seconds and then hits real hard pulling as hard as it should be. Happens at any RMPs when shifting from 1st. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shift totally fine its just 1st to 2nd. I managed for the first time last night to get it to shift with out the lull and damn was it a difference had to put the proud truck owner in his place lol.

So far I've gotten. sticking solenoid, bad solenoid, bad seal, ect.
Car has heads and cam but didn't figure it could be a tunning problem.
Could use some help/tips to fix the problem.

All help appreciated, JR
Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suspect that maybe you have issue with the tune or the trans. How is the condition of the fluid and also the level of it? Any codes? Have you dropped the pan to do a visual inspection? How does your speedo work? If all that seems fine I would try to have the tune adjusted so the computer makes it shift a bit sooner to see if that helps. Vince
Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I would suspect that maybe you have issue with the tune or the trans. How is the condition of the fluid and also the level of it? Any codes? Have you dropped the pan to do a visual inspection? How does your speedo work? If all that seems fine I would try to have the tune adjusted so the computer makes it shift a bit sooner to see if that helps. Vince
I think maybe I should have been a bit clearer on what it dose. I dose shift in to second gear Rpm drop and the engine sound like it putting everything it has into going, It just doesn't go, it just feels like I'm barley on the throttle. Then after 2-4 seconds the RPMs stay the same and it all of a sudden feels like it catches and off I go slammed back into my seat again. It's not a hesitation in shifting because it dose shift, it's like the tranny is not fully in gear or something is slipping.

I was told it might be a sticking solenoid, closing half way and then fully closing after. I've rebuilt 2 T-56 and a T-5 so If you tell me what to look for when I drop the pan I'm sure I can handle it. The tranny fluid is nice and red and it's at the full mark. Speedo works fine though it is 3mph off according to local police speed boxes

Thanks, JR

Last edited by NightKid#2; 11-24-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The 1-2 on the 60e is very step ratio change are you sure that your RPM are just not dropping below your power band and then it picks up again when you get back into the power band.
Whats your rear end gear ratio?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The 1-2 on the 60e is very step ratio change are you sure that your RPM are just not dropping below your power band and then it picks up again when you get back into the power band.
Whats your rear end gear ratio?
I don't think so because it will do it at any RPMs low or high. Its not like its a small difference in acceleration it a BIG difference. and like i said I got it to not do it last night in the same RPM spot it's been shifting in. The sound of the engine stays the same before and after it catches. no bogging or hesitation when you listen to the engine. I'm pretty sure its stock rear ratio for a 99 auto trans am which is 3.23 right? All spin the tries and check the ratio tonight, as I've been meaning to check it.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well I ran the car out last night and a noticed it slipped it fourth around 6000RPMs. Got in the car to day, noticed it wouldn't go in to overdrive then as I was headed for my friends house (because thats where it would need to be if it broke down, they have a lift ) I lost 3rd gear. I drove 3 miles in 2nd gear to get the rest of they way to my friends house. Tried putting it in third by selecting 3rd gear but, still nothing.

I'm looking at a fried transmission
The transmission never over heated so the power killed it. slipping clutches.

Where to go from here?

Thanks, JR

Last edited by NightKid#2; 11-24-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Does not sound at all promising

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

I know right LOL.

I have a T-56 w/pro 5.0 sitting in my garage....

I'm stuck at, buying a new build 4l60e from a speed shop here that is putting them in high, high, power making vettes with no trouble from them or a sponsor on here. Or going and getting my T-56 built by Late Model Racecraft and doing the conversion.

Hmmm, why this have to happen lol I was 4 days away from buying my 17" prostars

Last edited by NightKid#2; 11-20-2008 at 11:52 PM.