Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pt4000 vs ss4000 for ME?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pt4000 vs ss4000 for ME?

before you guys tell me to search trust me when I say I have researched very much on which converter to choose.

My car is a 1995 camaro with a ls1/4l60e swap. The car will be used for primarily drag racing, but will also be driven on the street a good amount.

the car has a full wolfe suspension and moser 9 inch, stock motor currently.

future plans for the car is a bolt on/cammed/headed stock shortblock.....I want to run 10's. I want to keep it NA, but if I go with the ss4000 ill scratch the heads and keep it a com only car with a 100 + shot.

now here is where my dilemma is. the car has 3.50 gears right now(im willing to change it to 3.90 maybe 4.10 in the future), and im afraid the pt4000 will be too loose on the street while I have 3.50's. the car is NOT my dailydriver however, and I have never rode in a stalled a4. What I really want is a crazy top end and that is why im leaning towards to pt4000. I also want to keep it NA. ill be running a 26' tire fwiw.

HOWEVER, I know that with my current gear ratio a ss4000 will probobly be better matched with my combo. If I go with the ss4000 ill just put a cam in the car and a decent 100-150 shot and be in the 10's. plus ill be able to cruise on the highway and I wont have to change the gears.

either way the car will stay stock internal for a while as I dont have much money. will the pt4000 or ss4000 be better on a bolt on motor? I want to choose the convertor that will be suit my needs for my FUTURE PLANS. In other words if I have to give up on some performance now, to gain in the future, the I will.

sorry for the long post I just wanted some help with my combo.

what do you guys think?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Get the PT3800, you can spray a 100 shot still and get the better top end pull....the 3.50 gear shouldn't be as bad as 3.23s which a member here has paired with a PT4400.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Get the PT3800, you can spray a 100 shot still and get the better top end pull....the 3.50 gear shouldn't be as bad as 3.23s which a member here has paired with a PT4400.
I think he's referring to me....I run the PT4400 with 3.23's and it's not bad at all. I'll be going to 3.89's when I get my 9", but in the meantime, I drive it daily with no issues whatsoever. It's a little loose, or maybe I've just gotten used to it, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Like King said, the PT3800 would be a nice compromise and allow you to spray it, but if you're going to rule out the spray, PT4000 at least. I was in the same boat as you when I still had my SS4000 and bought my FLT tranny. I decided spray wasn't in my near future and I'd always wanted the PT4400, so I upgraded. Unless I change my mind about the spray, this will be my last converter. It's a monster!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

i went with the PT3800.. ordered it last monday it'll be here pretty soon i imagine. anyhow if you want call dave at yank he'll be happy to kick your combo around with you.. ive called him a few times since i started shoppinfor converters; he was more than happy to answer my questions and even just shot the **** with me about other stuff. not a bad deal.

for me im headed down a similar road as you except i plan to port my factory heads.. anyhow dave told me im good to a 100 shot maybe al il more with a decent factory ported heads/cam car. if i was gonna spray more he told me to get the SS. i have a 3.42 gear. i dont drive my car daily.. but my definition of what is streetable and not is different from most.. the truck in my sig was driven daily for 4 years.. i highschool and in college.. it only pulls like 8" of vac. at idle and it bucks and jerks at anything under 2200 rpm cuz the cam is a monster lol.

i chose the PT series based on all my research on how much more "pull" it had for topend and roll punch kinda stuff.. plus it still should hit like a freight train off the line.. i have yet to read of a dissapointed pt owner in the searches i made.. and the dude in the red car showed up a lot lol

certainly doesnt hurt the PT series is on sale right now.. if not for the sale i probably would have just gone with a circle D, chris was cool to me there too.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

well if I can avoid using spray then I will. like I said I would really like to keep it NA but if im gonna go with the ss4000 the I figure I might as well at least throw a 100 shot on it to compensate for what ill loose in performance by not going with the pt series.

I think the pt4400 might be too much for me hawk. How many rpms does it take to get your car moving? Is it a pain in the *** in parking lots and traffic....places where you have to cruise on and off the throttle under 15mph?

my biggest concern is that ill go with the ss4000 and wish I would have gone bigger. My second biggest in going with a pt4000 or 4400 and wish I would have gone smaller because it is so loose. I just keep going back a forth and can't make up my damn mind!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are going to gain more from nitrous than a pt series converter. I have the ss4000 and it would be a no brainer for me to move up to a pt series if I didnt want to spray.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I think he's referring to me....I run the PT4400 with 3.23's and it's not bad at all. I'll be going to 3.89's when I get my 9", but in the meantime, I drive it daily with no issues whatsoever. It's a little loose, or maybe I've just gotten used to it, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Like King said, the PT3800 would be a nice compromise and allow you to spray it, but if you're going to rule out the spray, PT4000 at least. I was in the same boat as you when I still had my SS4000 and bought my FLT tranny. I decided spray wasn't in my near future and I'd always wanted the PT4400, so I upgraded. Unless I change my mind about the spray, this will be my last converter. It's a monster!
Yes I was referring to you, I'm glad you gave your input.

To the OP I would do a PT3800-4000 if you are only going to do a 100 shot and have the best of both worlds
Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by noregretz999

I think the pt4400 might be too much for me hawk. How many rpms does it take to get your car moving? Is it a pain in the *** in parking lots and traffic....places where you have to cruise on and off the throttle under 15mph?

my biggest concern is that ill go with the ss4000 and wish I would have gone bigger. My second biggest in going with a pt4000 or 4400 and wish I would have gone smaller because it is so loose. I just keep going back a forth and can't make up my damn mind!
I don't think the difference between the PT4000 or 4400 would be that much. The looseness between the SS4000 and the PT4400 wasn't much, that's for sure. It takes me between 2500 and 3000 RPM's to accelerate with traffic. It took 2500 with the SS4000. Keep in mind that I'm still running 3.23's as well. But no, it's not bad in any driving scenario (slow speed, parking lots, accelerating, etc).

Just remember that everyone has a different definition of what's loose, or driveable. This converter suits my needs and puts a smile on my face every day. Some would hate it for daily driving duty. It's all in what you want and can live with. If you're worried this might be too much, the SS4000 is a great street converter. It does everything well. It may not have the topend of the PT converters NA, but you can spray the hell out of it and that will more than make up for it. Tough choice, but it it helps you at all, I've never missed my SS4000.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coreyc619
i went with the PT3800.. ordered it last monday it'll be here pretty soon i imagine. anyhow if you want call dave at yank he'll be happy to kick your combo around with you.. ive called him a few times since i started shoppinfor converters; he was more than happy to answer my questions and even just shot the **** with me about other stuff. not a bad deal.

for me im headed down a similar road as you except i plan to port my factory heads.. anyhow dave told me im good to a 100 shot maybe al il more with a decent factory ported heads/cam car. if i was gonna spray more he told me to get the SS. i have a 3.42 gear. i dont drive my car daily.. but my definition of what is streetable and not is different from most.. the truck in my sig was driven daily for 4 years.. i highschool and in college.. it only pulls like 8" of vac. at idle and it bucks and jerks at anything under 2200 rpm cuz the cam is a monster lol.

i chose the PT series based on all my research on how much more "pull" it had for topend and roll punch kinda stuff.. plus it still should hit like a freight train off the line.. i have yet to read of a dissapointed pt owner in the searches i made.. and the dude in the red car showed up a lot lol

certainly doesnt hurt the PT series is on sale right now.. if not for the sale i probably would have just gone with a circle D, chris was cool to me there too.

how did dave compare the pt3800/4000 to the SS series? i actually have the pt3800. i got it put in the car in late summer. i then left for dental school and i have not touched it since. i don't have the suspension and new brakes on the car yet so i have no idea how this stall is.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

I'd stay away from the PT series with spray. I blew through my PT4000 with a 175 shot. Went multi-disc and solved my problem. Not as good off the spray, but with the 3 disc, I lock the converter @ 110 mph (WOT). Feels like a second stage of spray. Totally awesome.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Since you are looking at yank converters, i would give yank a call.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMMillwright
I'd stay away from the PT series with spray. I blew through my PT4000 with a 175 shot. Went multi-disc and solved my problem. Not as good off the spray, but with the 3 disc, I lock the converter @ 110 mph (WOT). Feels like a second stage of spray. Totally awesome.
That must feel nice. I just told the Op if he is only going to run a 100 shot to get the PT series since it will run harder off the bottle.

From what I gathered, which I could be wrong. He wasn't going to spray often....so I think the PT series will be the best fit for him

Quick Reply: pt4000 vs ss4000 for ME?