Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 trans temp sender location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TH400 trans temp sender location?

Hey guys, where are you placing your trans temp sender on your th400 setups? ive seen on a chevelle forum some guy placed his sender inside a pressure port on the side of his tranny? i guess it was plugged off before?
i know i could always weld a bung to the pan but im not sure of clearence issues with the valve body. any help would be cool. thanks in advance.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271062
Old 05-08-2010, 10:34 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself like to see the sender in the oil pan. However location in some vehicles will be vehicle specific due to exhaust and what not. What I would recommend is removing the pan to see where would be the best spot. Just make sure if you decide to place it near the shift linkage, that it does not come in contact with any moving parts.

Obviously on the outside of the trans you will be looking at the shifter arm and or cable. On the inside you need to stay clear of the rooster cone. Like I said remove the pan and look at what moves when you move the shifter and go from there. It's always nice to mount it in a place so you can easily run the wiring. Allowing you to zip tie/ fasten it to what ever else you might have going on down there and easily get it to your gauge setup.

If you use an aluminum pan you can just tap it and your done. If you use a steel pan and have to weld a bung in, you can mount the bung on the inside or outside and have it welded in. If you place the bung on the outside you will actually gain some clearance on the inside of the pan. This because the end of the probe will not go in as far as if the bung were on the inside if this makes sense. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tapped mine into the pan on the drivers side, i have a deep pan and its about half way down, no clearance issues
Old 05-09-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks vince & jts, i think ill go with the sender in the pan.
so just to clarify, if i have a STEEL pan i will have to weld a bung on? i have a feeling mines aluminum, ill have to double check.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

I was in the same dilemea as you i picked up a bm deep tranny pan come with the tranny temp senser hole built into the pan.Problem solved and it gave me a extra quart more of fluid I could run.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

no kidding? do you happen to know the part #?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a Summit cast aluminum pan and tapped it for the temperature sender. Easy as pie. There are few pans that had bungs but for one reason or other I passed on them. The Summit pan is great quality and only $115.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

im thinking of just buying a bung and having my buddy weld it on. probably the easiest thing to do

Quick Reply: TH400 trans temp sender location?