Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jakes performance Converters anyone running one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Jakes performance Converters anyone running one?

Looking to order a 4l80 from jakes and they offer a coulple of levels of converter, for now its going behind a stock ls1 with a TVS2300, but heads and cam are in the cars future. Anyone have any first hand knowledge? Torn between the Billet (750) and the street/race (500) what worries me is the street/race looks really similar to the tci ones with the poor reputation..

Any Idea what Jakes warrenty is on the 4l80"s?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

1 yr warranty on the trans and converter.

Converter depends on your power level and intended usage.
Typically the non-billet is a good choice if you are using a Stage II build. If you need a stronger trans, you also would want to upgrade to the billet converter.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the response!
is the lockup clutch in the non-billet any bigger than a stock one?

Do you sell the yolk so I can make my drive shaft work?

And with the non billet converter....can I use my stock flywheel or do i need a 4l80? Do i need a Crank Spacer? I am ready to do this!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by c6matt
Thanks for the response!
is the lockup clutch in the non-billet any bigger than a stock one?

Do you sell the yolk so I can make my drive shaft work?

And with the non billet converter....can I use my stock flywheel or do i need a 4l80? Do i need a Crank Spacer? I am ready to do this!
I have 32 spline 1350 style yokes in stock, your's may be a smaller u-joint though. I would need to know which joint it has.

The standard converter has basically the same friction surface as stock, it has more material than stock by about .030" and is a woven carbon type material with a special bonding process.

The billet ones obviously have a larger clutch.

I also don't require you buy a converter from me for warranty purposes, etc. So if you have a preferred brand, no hard feelings from me.

Circle-D, Yank, P.I., FTI, etc.

With a custom converter, you shouldn't need any spacers.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to order a 4l80 from jakes and they offer a coulple of levels of converter, for now its going behind a stock ls1 with a TVS2300, but heads and cam are in the cars future. Anyone have any first hand knowledge? Torn between the Billet (750) and the street/race (500) what worries me is the street/race looks really similar to the tci ones with the poor reputation..

Any Idea what Jakes warrenty is on the 4l80"s?
Same here and would love some feed back from people that have used Jakes trannys and tq converters.. I'm ready to do this asap...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgarza54
Same here and would love some feed back from people that have used Jakes trannys and tq converters.. I'm ready to do this asap...
Goin almost 2 years here (trans and converter from Jake) on my daily driver.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow67
After you purchased your trans and converter, how much did you have to spend on the other little things to complete the swap if you dont mind me asking. You can pm me if you like.. And also would like to know about how well the transbrake works/worked if anyone here has one from Jake's.. Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What engin combo/power adder/hp/tq are you running? slicks? is it a level 2 trans? which converter? Thanks for the info! .

Talked to jake last night seems like a great guy and very open about what he sells and does. I will be ordering a trans from him in the next few weeks (I'm traviling for work and i dont think my wife can move the trans inside when its dropped off! )
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Running for about 3 months on my Stg 2.. Couldn't have been happier! S/S converter here. Billet is nice if you have the cash, but not required at most peoples power levels. Swap is cake, just notch the tunnel a bit for the new connector to fit in and everything else is basically the same fitment wise. BMR tranny crossmember makes the swap nice and clean aswell.

Overall I will never go to anyone other the Jake now that I have felt the driveability just cruising down the road and then the perfect, crisp, fast shifts under WOT is just INCREDIBLE! Call and talk to him if you are unsure of what you need. If you don't learn anything within 5min of talking to him then i will be suprised.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Gingervitis Addict

After you purchased your trans and converter, how much did you have to spend on the other little things to complete the swap if you dont mind me asking. You can pm me if you like.. And also would like to know about how well the transbrake works/worked if anyone here has one from Jake's.. Thanks
I don't recall the total, but I switched from a T56, so my costs were higher than most (but also offset some from selling the T56).

What engin combo/power adder/hp/tq are you running? slicks? is it a level 2 trans? which converter? Thanks for the info! .

Talked to jake last night seems like a great guy and very open about what he sells and does. I will be ordering a trans from him in the next few weeks (I'm traviling for work and i dont think my wife can move the trans inside when its dropped off! )
Yeah stage 2 (with transbrake). Right now just a stock 5.3 (my LS1 spun a bearing about 3-4 months after the swap, because it was tired/worn out).
The 5.3 will see some boost here shortly.

Drag Radials. I didn't have the brake when I had the LS1, but it ran a VERY consistent 8.15 (3 hot-lapped passes were within .02) off the foot-brake.

Now with a stock 5.3L and 3.0 gears (used to be 3.73) it runs 8.8x off the transbrake. I have beat the hell out of this transmission (I'm hard on my cars) and it keeps on goin.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

I have beat the hell out of this transmission (I'm hard on my cars) and it keeps on goin.
Thats no lie.. I've seen it firsthand!! lol
Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by Mooneyed
Thats no lie.. I've seen it firsthand!! lol
Damn.....just realized who this is I should have read your sig closer.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well iw as thinking of upping the boost to around the 700 ish level and jake recommended the billet front cover at that point, I'd rather spend and extar 300 now and go billet than spend 500 now and have to spend 750 later
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Damn.....just realized who this is I should have read your sig closer.
Come tune my car!! Haha, lol!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by Mooneyed
Come tune my car!! Haha, lol!
Get the B!tch tagged and finish the exhaust.....
Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I don't recall the total, but I switched from a T56, so my costs were higher than most (but also offset some from selling the T56).
Yeah stage 2 (with transbrake). Right now just a stock 5.3 (my LS1 spun a bearing about 3-4 months after the swap, because it was tired/worn out).
The 5.3 will see some boost here shortly.

Drag Radials. I didn't have the brake when I had the LS1, but it ran a VERY consistent 8.15 (3 hot-lapped passes were within .02) off the foot-brake.

Now with a stock 5.3L and 3.0 gears (used to be 3.73) it runs 8.8x off the transbrake. I have beat the hell out of this transmission (I'm hard on my cars) and it keeps on goin.
Was this car your daily or was it just a racecar.. I ask cause I've heard that transbrakes are not good for dailys.. Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

My 4L80 transbrake has virtually no effect on the operation of the trans in normal mode.
It only requires you to setup the tune for no upshift commands when in manual low.
This isn't an issue that we've seen on the car OS's but it can be on the trucks.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Was this car your daily or was it just a racecar.. I ask cause I've heard that transbrakes are not good for dailys.. Thanks
Has been and still is my daily.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

does it matter if its an early model vs late model 4l80.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does it matter if its an early model vs late model 4l80.
according to jake.. not really. you do get the benifit of the top bolt hole matching the ls block.. but I am going with the early style case.. he assures me my blown ls1 is no match for it..

Quick Reply: Jakes performance Converters anyone running one?