Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L65E Trans shifting too early, WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L65E Trans shifting too early, WTF!

I have a stage 3 4L65E TSI racing trans w a 4000 SS yank stall, last week I installed new aeromotive fuel rails and PCV ketch can setup w tb fresh air delete with valve cover breather... It ran perfect! Until Sunday I sold my stock seats and Monday I installed new scat procar seats and the car sat until Wednesday, I noticed Tuesday I accidentally hit the line lock and it caused the battery to go dead (no big deal right?!!!!) well some how between it setting for 3days and the battery going dead the trans now shifts 1-2-3-4 by 30MPH and holds 4th till OD at 57mph. The guys at TSI and my tuner and they both say the only possible thing that happened is a connection got corroded... I've checked everything and nothing is different and fluid is full and clean... ANYONE have any idea wtf is goin on?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Don't know if it is possible, but it sounds like the PCM "reprogrammed" itself when it lost power. I would have someone with HP Tuners download your tune and check the transmission shift tables. (It doesn't cost a license to read a tune, only to write a tune.)

You say you are located in Michigan; if you are near Ann Arbor, I could do that for you.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Teching In

I'm in Bridgman, just south of Benton harbor.

That's what it sounded like to me as well! The car has always had a knock sensor low voltage #1 so idk if it finally took a dump on me or not so to Oreos I'm goof to switch them out and see if that works. No check engine light came on and I also completely unplugged the knock sensors and it didn't even pull a code then.

It won't rev over 6k rpm's and shifts goofy and the stall is locked out and even when I shift it manually it falls on its face when it shifts.

The tuner refuses to admit the tune got jacked up and the trans is perfect and full of clean fluid. So the only thing I have to go on is the knock sensors finally took a dump and the car is in limp mode...

You can call or text me at 269-861-2335
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 PM

Too bad you are so far away; perhaps you can find someone else with HP Tuners or similar program.
The trans programming has several shift tables, for normal, performance and "hot".
Perhaps your "hot" shift table has extremely low shift points and your PCM somehow thinks your trans is overheated.
Sorry, I'm really grasping for straws here, but I would start with checking the tune.
Perhaps a more experienced person knows the answer here.
Keep us posted.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Yea it has to be the tune bc the car is built to rev to 7k and my cam doesn't make power till 5700 and it hits the rev limiter at 5500-6000 so the tune obviously is messed up. Idk I might have to go buy a preditor and use it as a tuner/scan tool till I can get it on the dyno
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Considering the high price of a Predator hand-help tuner, IMHO, I would go with either HP Tuners or EFI Live. There are lots of tunes available for free, you can easily have other view your tune and make suggestions, etc.
Just my opinion of course.
Also see:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-handheld.html
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Yea I'm trying to find someone closer w Hp and I'm looking on Craigslist to buy one. The predator won't ask fuel trims and my ad ratio is jacked up so the tune is obviously gone some how. I'm going to disconnect the PCM and check the pig tails and see if I can find anything
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at TPS raw voltage, a TPS fault will cause short-
shifting behavior. So will a VSS fault. In either case the
PCM knows it doesn't know what's going on and plays
safe.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Look at TPS raw voltage, a TPS fault will cause short-
shifting behavior. So will a VSS fault. In either case the
PCM knows it doesn't know what's going on and plays
safe.
That is what happened to mine.tps had to drill out holes to gett more voltage.Mine was shifting late.that was with a 4l60e.

Last edited by sabersaw30; 03-05-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Teching In

The shifts are messed up but the stall is locked out, rev limiter is 6k, fuel trims are all over the place and idles high when put into park or neutral. The car acts line it's limping along on a stock tune... I'm a GM tech and I've asked my fellow techs and my tuner and we can't find a reason the computer just decided to get pissed off and seems to have lost the tune... Something is commanding the stall to stay locked out and the car to do all this crap but no check engine lights, no codes, new oil (full) new ATF (full) all connections are are clean and good... Had a scan tool hooked up while out testing and all guages are spot on and tps is working fine wot=100% nothing out of the ordinary other then I pissed the car off putting in scat procar seats and letting it sit for 3 days lol

Quick Reply: 4L65E Trans shifting too early, WTF!