Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flt for 4l80??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flt for 4l80??

Hey guys im looking for some feedback on the guys who have a 4l80e from finishline, i know they are the absolute best with 4l60e but havent read many owners with the 80's.

Im looking for one of the best sponsers for the job!! i read Jakes has a very good reputation for this..

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Jakes ftw!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

This is Lou, from Mad Dog Transmissions. Check out our website; We build a bad to the bone 4L80E

Thank You,
Mad Dog Lou!

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook:www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter:www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube:www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions
maddoglou454 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

We have invested more time into the 4L80E than any other company except GM.

There are plenty of good builders, but we do more with the 4L80E than anybody else. Plenty of actual user feedback here and on other forums.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maddoglou454
This is Lou, from Mad Dog Transmissions. Check out our website; We build a bad to the bone 4L80E

Thank You,
Mad Dog Lou!

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

maddoglou454 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
You really think your 4L80E will handle 1200hp without a billet input shaft?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Smile

slow67: I will need more information to better answer that question. Please let me know what type of tires you have? Ect... or you can call me at 770-781-0949 and see what we can come up with.

Originally Posted by slow67
MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Old 05-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Banned

What we do is Collen freeze our input and output shaft. We have also done drive shaft and axles, this process works excellent. Of course it also depends on your application and how high of a stall speed converter you will be using...

If you have any other questions please let me know..

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Originally Posted by slow67
Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Gingervitis Addict

I don't need a 4L80E, I already have one. Just questioning your 1200hp rating and parts lis on your 4L80E.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

plane and simple...Jakes for the win! call and talk to them...Jake knows his **** and can guide you in the right direction....do it right the first time and you will love the outcome.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For an 80e, Id talk to either Jakes or RPM Transmissions.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by maddoglou454
What we do is Collen freeze our input and output shaft. We have also done drive shaft and axles, this process works excellent. Of course it also depends on your application and how high of a stall speed converter you will be using...

If you have any other questions please let me know..

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

I have to ask?

What is collen freeze?

I make my own parts and deal with CNC shops, grinders, laser cutting, heat treating, cryro'ing, and other processes and have never heard of it.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Seems like there are alot of votes to Jakes, does anybody have a FLT 4L80e with success??

Thanks guys
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Teching In

FLT's 4L80e's are just as good as anyones if not better. What are you trying to do with the vehicle? There are a few guys around going low 9's in pickup trucks with FLT's 80e, and if you're not familiar with Flaco, he went 199.7 mph in a standing mile using FLT's top notch 4L80e
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

I've ran an FLT lvl2 80e for about 6 months and it's been flawless! No track time with it yet, but plenty of street action.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think you can go wrong with FLT. Give them a call and ask for Chuck. The 4L80's are his specialty.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I know a thing or two about 4L80Es, so for the average enthusiast out there, here's a break down of the difference between an FLT 4L80E and a Jake's 4L80E. I'll compare their highest end options, with prices.

FLT Level IV Transmission

300M billet input shaft - Good to see, a very nice upgrade to have
Seal & gasket kit - Standard with any real transmission rebuild
Hi-energy clutches - Same as what Jake's uses
Modified steel direct clutch drum (34 element) - Standard on any Jake's 4L80E. Actually came stock on many 4L80Es, so not really an upgrade in many cases
Modified 3rd gear clutch circuit - No details on his, but I have a pretty good idea it's referring to dual feeding, also something Jake's does
6 clutches in direct drum - Jake's does that as well
FLT calibrated valve body & pump - Now, I don't know what FLT is doing that is special with their valve bodies and pumps, but there's really only so much you can do. I'd imagine probably something along the lines of a new boost valve and maybe some separator plate modifications. Jake's does this as well, but with custom separator plates Jake designed, that you won't find with any other company
Bushing kit - Necessary for any real rebuild
Bearing kit - This as well
OD roller clutch - Well glad to see they included a necessary component of the transmission as a feature highlight
Low roller clutch - And here too
Low/Reverse & manual 2nd bands - And here as well
All solenoids - Nice to see they give you all of the solenoids and don't leave any out
Manifold pressure switch - That too
Internal wire harness - Good, more stock stuff that is part of the transmission that is featured as a highlight
Filter - And more stock stuff
Spacer plate - At this point I feel I'm being redundant
New speed sensors - Ok, I'm done repeating myself.

Price - $3195 + core charge, so with FLT's core charge of $750 you're paying $3945, almost $4,000. If you want a Transbrake, FLT only deals with the Rossler Transbrake, which requires a deeper pan, which loses clearance and needs more fluid. You're now paying $4815. If you want the billet intermediate shaft, you now are paying $295 extra, so make the total $5110. This does not include a billet forward hub, which, for all you nitrous users out there, is VERY necessary, because the stock forward hubs and nitrous do NOT mix well at all.

FLT warranty is 6 months. I did not factor shipping into the prices, as I do not know what FLT would charge, if they have a flat rate or if they do it by a per person deal.

Jake's Performance Level IV 4L80E

Jake's Performance does not have a typed up neat list like FLT does for their transmission highlights, luckily it's all on the website, so here's what in the Jake's Performance level IV.

Full rebuild kit used, with bushings, seals, gaskets, new OEM Hi-Energy frictions etc. - Standard for any real transmission rebuild, as mentioned earlier
Rollerized output shaft and forward hub - Rollerizing is a neat little process that as far as I'm aware of, only Jake does to the 4L80Es. Many people complain about parasitic loss by switching to the 80e, so these little mods here are great for reducing the power lost through the 4L80E.
Heavy duty Intermediate snap ring - Nice upgrade, if you look at the stock snap ring, it's fairly weak.
6 clutch direct pack - Same as what FLT does
Hydraulic modifications throughout - Here's one big thing that really sets Jake's apart, the hydraulic modifications. Without getting into too much of a ramble, dual feeding the third gear clutches for vastly extended life, bleed hole in the direct drum to prevent centrifugal apply, new boost valve assembly for the pump, few other things such as Jake's custom separator plate (which completely deletes the accumulator housing portion of the valve body), etc
Billet input shaft - Not much I can say here that wouldn't already be apparent
Billet forward hub - This coupled with the input shaft is highly recommended for nitrous applications
Billet intermediate shaft - Not much to say here, standard with Jake's level IV, $300 for FLT to add it in?
36 Element "Super Drum" - Now this one is badass. The super drum is a very very nice piece, and when you begin exceeding the 1,000 hp mark, it's something to look into. Many might wonder what two extra elements in the sprag are going to do, but if you look at the sprag, you will see that the elements have 30% more surface area, so really it's the equivalent of a 48 element sprag. The drum is brand new, with a custom race, and the race cover is tack welded on. This drum alone costs about $700

If you want a transbrake, Jake became known as the Transbrake guy for his original Transbrake a couple of years back, the fastest on the market for the 4L80E, significantly faster than Rossler's. Jake literally just the other day released a new 4L80E transbrake, and this one is even faster still, and the new added benefit is that you don't have to put the shifter into Manual 1st gear then back up to drive when you launch, you can lock the brake in any gear now, and launch, without ever having to touch the shifter. Another cool thing? It does not require a deep pan, you can keep you stocker (saving you several hundred over the deep pan that the Rossler brake needs). Oh, and the new transbrake is free with the Stage IV from Jake's, no additional cost.

Jake's trans also comes with all of the things FLT listed above such as all of the solenoids, new internal wiring harness, filter, manifold pressure switch, etc.

Price - $4350, w/ $150 shipping. Unless the shipment is international, Jake keeps it a flat rate to make it consistent all of the time, even when in some cases he takes a hit. The $4350 is with an early core, which, to clear up common misconception on here, is actually stronger than the '97-up late model cores, which are more expensive due to GM's buyback program they have going on with the late model cores. More specifically, it is the OD gear that is stronger in the early model cores. Jake uses early model OD units in his late model builds as well. The total price with an early model core comes out to $4500.

I also know Jake has the spragless 4L80E releasing in the future, completely eliminating the intermediate sprag altogether, sure to be an interesting piece.

Jake's Performance warranty is 6 months, with an extended warranty available for a fee.

I can explain anything above in more detail if someone has a question, or Jake or someone else might pop in as well. To me, the answer for the 4L80E market is pretty clear.

Originally Posted by z28camaro82z
FLT's 4L80e's are just as good as anyones if not better.
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that now

Also, I'm game to know what Collen Freezing is, I didn't even find anything about it on Google
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 AM
FormerVendor

I'll say this,

Elite,
Our Stage 4 doesn't include the Super Drum, that is the Stage 5. Just to clarify that. We did change the Stages around early this year to eliminate some confusion (and in doing so caused some short term confusion).

I don't often go online and compare my product to anybody elses for pricing, build list, etc. So I don't know what most of the other builders are doing or charging for it. I know what it takes in cost to build my units, what my overhead is, and I am not trying to make it rich off the business.

Looking at what you listed for FLT it is roughly equivalent to our Stage 3. Billet input, ours includes a billet forward hub as well. I consider them a matched pair, if you need one, you need the other in the case of a 4L80E.

Our Stage 3 is as listed on the website-
"Stage 3
The Stage 3 build has come about due to the need for the billet input shaft and forward hub on applications above 750 HP but not necessarily needing the billet intermediate shaft.
Most applications that would need the billet intermediate shaft (Stage III) would also need the Super Drum (Stage 4). There are some exceptions and that is why we like to discuss each build with the customer.
This build saves the cost of the additional shaft for those who don't need it.
Early Core- $2950
Late Core- $3450"

We include the core cost in the pricing up front. We give a credit for customer cores but 90% of the time they are being shipped so it is cost prohibitive to ship cores when we can get them locally.

I'm not going to bag on FLT. I don't think they are a sponsor anymore but I think they are a quality company and I don't have anything bad to say about them.

I will say, and I've said before, we have spent more time on the 4L80E than anybody except GM.

I have a proven transbrake design that is used by several other companies. I just released the "3rd gear brake" that allows launching from the transbrake in any forward gear, but is intended to be launched from D3 and allow the computer to shift it. It is a state of the art design with lessons learned from the shortcomings I've seen in valve body kits and others transbrake designs and some improvements from my older design.

It takes a considerable amount of time and money to develop these parts, yet we still keep reasonable pricing on our units.

The ONLY other company that I am aware of that has their own transbrake design that WORKS for a 4L80E is Rossler. Rossler is another excellent company building quality product. However I have quite a few customers who bought my transbrake to replace his on a 4L80E.
I give him credit though, for having the first one, and investing the time to develop it.
Most companies (even good ones) are simply buying someone elses product, whatever they determine is the best available, or cheapest, or whatever their criteria is.
We are not doing that. We are developing our own parts in house. Obviously not every component used, but the critical ones, or where there is a deficiency.

There is nothing wrong with buying a transmission from a "parts assembler". The better ones have developed a recipe that works and possibly even a good reputation from that.

However,
when you get deeper into it, you find that "following the herd" isn't good enough. It can be done better and some of us are driven to make them work better than just what is commercially available from someone else.

One last thought,
There are several actual manufacturers making billet input shafts out there, some are actually weaker than a stock shaft. Just something to be aware of. We are working on a Vasco material input shaft for the 1500+ HP combos.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I'll say this,

Elite,
Our Stage 4 doesn't include the Super Drum, that is the Stage 5. Just to clarify that. We did change the Stages around early this year to eliminate some confusion (and in doing so caused some short term confusion).

I don't often go online and compare my product to anybody elses for pricing, build list, etc. So I don't know what most of the other builders are doing or charging for it. I know what it takes in cost to build my units, what my overhead is, and I am not trying to make it rich off the business.

Looking at what you listed for FLT it is roughly equivalent to our Stage 3. Billet input, ours includes a billet forward hub as well. I consider them a matched pair, if you need one, you need the other in the case of a 4L80E.

Our Stage 3 is as listed on the website-
"Stage 3
The Stage 3 build has come about due to the need for the billet input shaft and forward hub on applications above 750 HP but not necessarily needing the billet intermediate shaft.
Most applications that would need the billet intermediate shaft (Stage III) would also need the Super Drum (Stage 4). There are some exceptions and that is why we like to discuss each build with the customer.
This build saves the cost of the additional shaft for those who don't need it.
Early Core- $2950
Late Core- $3450"

We include the core cost in the pricing up front. We give a credit for customer cores but 90% of the time they are being shipped so it is cost prohibitive to ship cores when we can get them locally.

I'm not going to bag on FLT. I don't think they are a sponsor anymore but I think they are a quality company and I don't have anything bad to say about them.

I will say, and I've said before, we have spent more time on the 4L80E than anybody except GM.

I have a proven transbrake design that is used by several other companies. I just released the "3rd gear brake" that allows launching from the transbrake in any forward gear, but is intended to be launched from D3 and allow the computer to shift it. It is a state of the art design with lessons learned from the shortcomings I've seen in valve body kits and others transbrake designs and some improvements from my older design.

It takes a considerable amount of time and money to develop these parts, yet we still keep reasonable pricing on our units.

The ONLY other company that I am aware of that has their own transbrake design that WORKS for a 4L80E is Rossler. Rossler is another excellent company building quality product. However I have quite a few customers who bought my transbrake to replace his on a 4L80E.
I give him credit though, for having the first one, and investing the time to develop it.
Most companies (even good ones) are simply buying someone elses product, whatever they determine is the best available, or cheapest, or whatever their criteria is.
We are not doing that. We are developing our own parts in house. Obviously not every component used, but the critical ones, or where there is a deficiency.

There is nothing wrong with buying a transmission from a "parts assembler". The better ones have developed a recipe that works and possibly even a good reputation from that.

However,
when you get deeper into it, you find that "following the herd" isn't good enough. It can be done better and some of us are driven to make them work better than just what is commercially available from someone else.

One last thought,
There are several actual manufacturers making billet input shafts out there, some are actually weaker than a stock shaft. Just something to be aware of. We are working on a Vasco material input shaft for the 1500+ HP combos.
my bad, I also typed FLT's as an IV when theirs is a V. Throw me a bone, I'm dead tired but can't sleep and I typed out a mini-novel. Pricing was in line with the Stage V's though, right?

I should have also clarified, but since this was a 4L80E thread I did not. As for 4L60Es, I think FLT is a leader in that industry, right up there alongside RPM, ACE etc. I believe 4L60Es are definitely more they're specialty, and I think they would agree. The way I see it, choose a transmission with a company who has a proven reputation with the exact transmission you wish to purchase. Jake is known for his 4L80Es, while companies like FLT are known for their 60es. Both can do the other transmission, but it's not their "specialty" so to speak, the amount of time, R&D and testing FLT has put into their 60es is probably a lot more than Jake has put into a 60e. Likewise, same goes for Jake and his 80es.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

My vote is for jakes 4l80 I have his lvl 2 about to get 800rwhp put thru it. His trans brake is awesome works everytime..
Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

I have about 10 1/4 mile passes and around 2200 miles on it so far

Quick Reply: Flt for 4l80??