Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80/Transbrake newb

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80/Transbrake newb

This winter one of my goals for the car is to send one of my cores off to be built to handle the HP being made. To go along with that built trans, there will be a brake installed... Now I am a complete newb when it comes to transbrakes. I've been told that in order to engage reverse, the switch must be pushed and blah blah blah.

I was talking to someone who CLAIMS (no one's ever seen this dude's car) that he ran a pro stick in his 98 firebird and it actually looked pretty good. I was just wondering a) if the information about reverse is true and b) what shifter (if not stock) is everyone running? Any pictures would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by whiteboycntdnce
This winter one of my goals for the car is to send one of my cores off to be built to handle the HP being made. To go along with that built trans, there will be a brake installed... Now I am a complete newb when it comes to transbrakes. I've been told that in order to engage reverse, the switch must be pushed and blah blah blah.

I was talking to someone who CLAIMS (no one's ever seen this dude's car) that he ran a pro stick in his 98 firebird and it actually looked pretty good. I was just wondering a) if the information about reverse is true and b) what shifter (if not stock) is everyone running? Any pictures would be helpful too.

Thanks!
I'm going with a pro stick in mine, and to answer the question is yes you can run a trans brake with any shifter. how a trans brake works is in the valve body, when power is giving to the curcuit for trans brake it engages 1st and reverse while in first gear has nothing to do with the shift lever hope that explains it enough for you. if thats not good enough explanation you can pm Jake Shoe or slow67 for further info good luck.
no pics but ill have my shifter installed in a few weeks.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I build all of the transbrakes for Jake, and the shifter does have a part to play, depending on which brake. Assuming you're using our original brake, you need to have the shifter in manual low to engage the brake.

You do not need to engage the brake to go into reverse.

Our new brake however, you do need to engage it to go into reverse. The new design allows you to lock the brake in any forward gear.

I prefer the stock shifter myself, but the B&M is pretty popular among a few others.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
I build all of the transbrakes for Jake, and the shifter does have a part to play, depending on which brake. Assuming you're using our original brake, you need to have the shifter in manual low to engage the brake.

Our new brake however, you do need to engage it to go into reverse. The new design allows you to lock the brake in any forward gear.

I prefer the stock shifter myself, but the B&M is pretty popular among a few others.
What do you need to do to change from the original brake to the new one?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mike13
What do you need to do to change from the original brake to the new one?
Remove the old brake valve body assembly and supporting components, install new brake valve body and wire up a few things. Kinda hard to explain without going into a novel of detail, but it's pretty straight forward IMO. The new one is much more intricate than the last one, and we've made improvements since it's release and are always tweaking it for optimal performance/ease of setup.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz

sorry i have Jake's old version trans brake.
head a lil bit about new one mainly can engage t-brake in any gear, so i was right in my thinking with the old t-brake? being you place in first and engage t-brake without touching the reverse lever on a pro stick?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by +badss+
sorry i have Jake's old version trans brake.
head a lil bit about new one mainly can engage t-brake in any gear, so i was right in my thinking with the old t-brake? being you place in first and engage t-brake without touching the reverse lever on a pro stick?
Correct
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Tci rmvb brake help

Just redid my 4l80 after my trinity setup fucked it up. Used the new tci kit for the build which is I believe 274500 for tge 95 4l80 and I now how no reverse. I read and followed tci instructions for the kit and realize that tge brake needs engaged for reverse function.... Reverse and brake do not work clearly shows something is wrong with reverse. But I followed everything to the T.... Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

installed jakes performance manual low kit with thier box and HANDS DOWN the best functioning ALSO their email tech support seemed to be 24/7. i will definietly use these guys again not only for the great products but out of everyone out there they definietely know that it takes after hours tech support to make a business last. these guys are there for the long haul and i hope they expand more in parts to offer

Quick Reply: 4L80/Transbrake newb