Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter install question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default converter install question.

Is there suppose to be a small gap between my converter mounting pads and flywheel before i begin tightening my converter bolts?

because I have a small gap and cannot push the converter forward toward the flywheel anymore. So what i did was pull the converter toward the flywheel by tightening the 3 converter bolts. is this ok? I noticed while tightening the flywheel would also move toward the converter.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, there should be a gap of about 1/8" between the flexplate and the converter pads with the converter all the way in. If the gap is more than 1/8", I use shims to make up the difference. It should slide forward fairly easily, though...

Sometimes, if you just tighten one bolt, it will kind of "****" it to one side and put it in a bit of a bind in it so it won't slide forward easily. In this case, I'll usually run the one bolt up snug and then turn the engine over one turn. This will generally seat everything up nicely. If it still doesn't seat together nicely, you'll want to check and make sure the pilot on the front of the converter is seating into the back of the crankshaft properly.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dynamic396
Yes, there should be a gap of about 1/8" between the flexplate and the converter pads with the converter all the way in. If the gap is more than 1/8", I use shims to make up the difference. It should slide forward fairly easily, though...

Sometimes, if you just tighten one bolt, it will kind of "****" it to one side and put it in a bit of a bind in it so it won't slide forward easily. In this case, I'll usually run the one bolt up snug and then turn the engine over one turn. This will generally seat everything up nicely. If it still doesn't seat together nicely, you'll want to check and make sure the pilot on the front of the converter is seating into the back of the crankshaft properly.
but is the flywheel suppose to bend a bit when tightening the converter bolts?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

sounds like the convertor snout is up against the flexplate,which should not be occurring. The convertor should be able to move to the convertor,although you wouldn't want it to because that might dis-engage one of the 3 components in the tranny that the convertor should be engaging. That's the purpose of the gap and using washer/spacers to maintain that gap.
the 'bending' of the flexplate is putting it to a 'cone' shape instead of it's natural flat.
some vendors should post up on this.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be that the convertor pilot is painted, rusty, or dirty.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JUNK
Exactly... Happens every now and again. The flex plate should not stay "bent". If it does after doing what I described in my earlier post, you have pilot issues...
Old 06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JUNK
you my friend are correct. We pulled out the trans and removed all the paint on the pilot (why did you do this fti lol). I also pushed the converter in a lil further. all went smooth after that. except putting the starter back on =( 2 inch headers in the way.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

I also stripped one of the threads on the chassis where the crossmember bolts go. anyone know the tap/thread chaser size for that.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

M10x1.5 ?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
M10x1.5 ?
yup thats the one i just borrowed it from my buddy. thanks!

Quick Reply: converter install question.