Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First-time 4l60e build....opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First-time 4l60e build....opinions?

First, let me just say that I've about worn out the "search" function on this one. Second...although a 4l80e might be an "easier" choice, this current build requires use of a 4l60e

I'm in the process of ordering the remaining parts for my first complete 4l60e build. I have ordered many specialty tools to aid in the build process (seal sizers,bushing installers,valve body test plate, etc.), as well as the ATSG manuals. The actual assembly of the unit does not seem too daunting at the moment, but the remaining parts selection does. As this is my first build, I've decided to build it to be as stout as possible without going to the added expense of changing gear ratios. Yes, this build will be overkill for it's current duties...but will hopefully do service in a higher-power build in the future. Right now, it will be responsible for only roughly 450whp behind a Yank ss4000 stall.

I'm looking for feedback/suggestions on remaining parts selection.

Here's what I currently have:

-Sonnax SmartTech input housing and hardened shaft
-Sonnax Smart Shell
-B/W 29 element dual-cage sprag
-Sonnax Billet forward piston
-Sonnax stator support shaft

Here's what I'm looking to purchase soon to complete the build;

-Complete bushing kit with teflon coated pump bushing
-HD pump slide spring
-OEM 5-pinion planetaries (front and rear)
-Wide rear sungear bushing
-Raybestos .062 Blue Plate Special friction module
-Fairbanks Powertow 4l60e kit (includes super servos)
-Red Wide band
-Sonnax Performance Pack # HP-4L60E-01
-Superior "Unbreakable" pump ring kit
-Superior 3-4 clutch rapid relief valve
-Torlon check ball kit

Thoughts? Suggestions? I just want to make sure that I'm not forgetting something. I'd really appreciate any feedback from any of the pro builders here, as I've certainly had some of you do builds for me in the past....this is just something that I want to learn now.

Thanks for any help/constructive criticism.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Parts you currently have....

-Sonnax SmartTech input housing and hardened shaft OK.
-Sonnax Smart Shell OK.
-B/W 29 element dual-cage sprag OK.
-Sonnax Billet forward piston OK.
-Sonnax stator support shaft OK.

Here's what you are looking to purchase soon to complete the build;

-Complete bushing kit with teflon coated pump bushing OK.

-HD pump slide spring Is this TransGos?

-OEM 5-pinion planetaries (front and rear) Save your money.

-Wide rear sungear bushing OK.

-Raybestos .062 Blue Plate Special friction module Use the factory Borg Warner Hi-Energy's. They are much cheaper and work better. Set up an 8 clutch here, works very well and has proved to be very durable.

-Fairbanks Powertow 4l60e kit (includes super servos) Use TransGo HD2 that I modify. You do not need or want the 2nd apply servo from Fairbanks. The 4th apply is ok, but the 4th apply from Sonnax is much better. The Corvette servo will do whatever you need here. If you want a larger 2nd apply servo then the Sonnax is the way to go.

-Red Wide band The Factory Borg Warner Hi-Energy will work fine here and will not require a new drum.

-Sonnax Performance Pack # HP-4L60E-01 OK, but the TransGo HD2 that I modify will give you what you need and want here.

-Superior "Unbreakable" pump ring kit OK.

-Superior 3-4 clutch rapid relief valve Not necessary.

-Torlon check ball kit OK.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PBA

-HD pump slide spring Is this TransGos?
---Sonnax

Originally Posted by PBA
-OEM 5-pinion planetaries (front and rear) Save your money.
Can you elaborate on this? At what point should this be an issue? I'm really trying to build this to be "future-proof" as much as possible..

Originally Posted by PBA
-Raybestos .062 Blue Plate Special friction module Use the factory Borg Warner Hi-Energy's. They are much cheaper and work better. Set up an 8 clutch here, works very well and has proved to be very durable.
Yeah, I was considering the H.E. pieces...just liked that the blue plates are higher friction coefficient pieces...plus Sonnax gave the exact stack up specs on their site....seemed to make it easier.

Originally Posted by PBA
-Sonnax Performance Pack # HP-4L60E-01 OK, but the TransGo HD2 that I modify will give you what you need and want here.
Sounds good.

Originally Posted by PBA
-Superior 3-4 clutch rapid relief valve Not necessary.
Cheap enough though...still worthwhile?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

BPA has decades of experience and it is great that he shares his knowledge.

Let me expand on that and share my opinions.

The Transgo 700-PKH kit (about $12) has the hardened pump rings and the high-RPM pump spring.
The Sonnax pump spring is the same.

Dana (PBA) is saying that 5-pinion planetaries are overrated; other things tend to break first. Also it appears that many reported rear planetary failures turned out to be an overheated internal bearing which the Sonnax Smart Shell solves.
If you are planning over 600HP, I would get 5-pinion planetaries. Since nearly all the front 5-pinion units on the market are new style, you also need a new style reaction carrier and bearing. I have carefully documented this on another thread; see my post #12 here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...n-planets.html

From your parts list I think your weak spot is the output shaft; you might consider a billet one.

I have the Smart Tech input housing in my current trans and I used 9x Blue frictions; sure it is probably overkill, but what is another $50 for the Blue frictions.

If you already have the Sonnax pinless pistons the TG HD2 might be the better kit. I'm sure PBA's modified HD2 kit would be good.

AVOID the Superior 3-4 clutch relief valve. I test fitted it and found it too tall! It hit the reverse drum. I called Superior and they gave me some (IMHO) BS that it fits GM parts, but might hit a Chinese reverse drum; then said they would probably re-engineer it. It sounded like an admission that it had flaws.
However I believe that the stock check ball could open under high RPM. The TG HD2 kit comes with a part to replace the check ball with a simple drilled orifice. That is my suggestion and another reason to get the HD2 kit.

I see no reason not to get a wide band, but you need a new reverse drum then too.

I always use the Sonnax torlon *****.

Good luck with your build; it is very close to the one I have in my car now (and for the past year). Add the billet output shaft and you have a trans that builders are rating at 750+ HP.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the guidance and input...VERY helpful indeed

OK...so looks like I'm going to opt for the custom HD-2 kit. I just ordered the Sonnax Super 2nd and 4th apply servos, and am going to follow up on a couple leads for the billet output shaft as well. Time to order more parts...

PBA....pm sent

Last edited by salemetro; 02-17-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by salemetro
First, let me just say that I've about worn out the "search" function on this one. Second...although a 4l80e might be an "easier" choice, this current build requires use of a 4l60e

I'm in the process of ordering the remaining parts for my first complete 4l60e build. I have ordered many specialty tools to aid in the build process (seal sizers,bushing installers,valve body test plate, etc.), as well as the ATSG manuals. The actual assembly of the unit does not seem too daunting at the moment, but the remaining parts selection does. As this is my first build, I've decided to build it to be as stout as possible without going to the added expense of changing gear ratios. Yes, this build will be overkill for it's current duties...but will hopefully do service in a higher-power build in the future. Right now, it will be responsible for only roughly 450whp behind a Yank ss4000 stall.

I'm looking for feedback/suggestions on remaining parts selection.

Here's what I currently have:

-Sonnax SmartTech input housing and hardened shaft
-Sonnax Smart Shell
-B/W 29 element dual-cage sprag
-Sonnax Billet forward piston
-Sonnax stator support shaft

Here's what I'm looking to purchase soon to complete the build;

-Complete bushing kit with teflon coated pump bushing
-HD pump slide spring
-OEM 5-pinion planetaries (front and rear)
-Wide rear sungear bushing
-Raybestos .062 Blue Plate Special friction module
-Fairbanks Powertow 4l60e kit (includes super servos)
-Red Wide band
-Sonnax Performance Pack # HP-4L60E-01
-Superior "Unbreakable" pump ring kit
-Superior 3-4 clutch rapid relief valve
-Torlon check ball kit

Thoughts? Suggestions? I just want to make sure that I'm not forgetting something. I'd really appreciate any feedback from any of the pro builders here, as I've certainly had some of you do builds for me in the past....this is just something that I want to learn now.

Thanks for any help/constructive criticism.
I only scanned through this but didn't see a beast ssunset in there... don't get that heat treated stuff the beast is actually thicker in terms of metal it's stronger busted my stock one so yes I have had experience with this
Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by a.anaya480
I only scanned through this but didn't see a beast ssunset in there... don't get that heat treated stuff the beast is actually thicker in terms of metal it's stronger busted my stock one so yes I have had experience with this
The Sonnax Smart Shell is superior to the Beast....which is what is going in mine.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
The Sonnax Smart Shell is superior to the Beast....which is what is going in mine.
Correct. Look at the parts list for e.g. FLT's Level-7; it uses the Sonnax Smart Shell. Same for the PATC and other builders claiming 750+ HP; they all use the Smart Shell.

The Sonnax Smart Shell solves the problem of too much pressure on the small interior torrington bearing of the rear planetary. It is also hardened and strengthened. Here is my detailed thread on a comparison of the various sun shells:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...art-shell.html

Quick Reply: First-time 4l60e build....opinions?